Dinosaur, scariest ride at WDW?

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Hello,

I'm wondering, what is the scariest ride at WDW. Which ride just sends kids screaming (and some of their parents too)? I think after the loss of Alien Encounter, Dinosaur has to be the next on the list. You tell me. I have provided a link to my audio recording below. I have some very specific instructions for you on how it needs to be played.

1. Make sure you have an appropriate player. This is a .m4a file, not .mp3. iTunes and Winamp are good choices. QuickTime will play it right in your browser if it is installed.
2. While the preshow is running, turn the volume up to the point where the preshow sounds like it did in real life. You will notice this recording is quite quiet, I've preserved the dynamic range of the attraction.
3. Sit back, relax, and close your eyes. Do not be tempted to turn the volume down at this point, it will ruin your experience. If your headphones start distorting, then try better headphones or headphone amp.

http://server.ipartyradio.com/~rdour/audio/dinosaur.m4a

<embed src="http://server.ipartyradio.com/~rdour/dinosaur.m4a" autoplay="false">

After listening to this, let me know what you think. I think it wins as the scariest ride, now that Alien Encounter doesn't exist.

Ryan

haveyoumetmark

I can tell you right now, without listening to the recording that yes, IMHO it is the scariest ride there. I love it, but it makes me scream like crazy.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Could someone inform me of why my HTML tags are not recognized when using the "Mobile Devices" theme? I use it because it is the most screen reader compatible.

If there is a special method needed to embed an object for these boards, please let me know. I'm surprised my link in the previous post didn't get turned into a clickable link automatically. I could see why the embed tag may have failed, you could embed other, less desirable content.

Ryan

MissM

Scary? Seriously...? AE wasn't even remotely scary and neither is Dinosaur. I'll never understand why people think either are. (And this coming from the person who won't ride a thrill ride, coaster or anything more than about two feet off the ground, ever.) Somethings may "startle" you the first time you ride it, but that's hardly the same thing.

Are there really people who find Dinosaur frightening? Honestly, why?
-m

haveyoumetmark

Scary? Seriously...? AE wasn't even remotely scary and neither is Dinosaur. I'll never understand why people think either are. (And this coming from the person who won't ride a thrill ride, coaster or anything more than about two feet off the ground, ever.) Somethings may "startle" you the first time you ride it, but that's hardly the same thing.

Are there really people who find Dinosaur frightening? Honestly, why?
-m

Let me re-phrase then, I didn't think AE was scary at all. Dinosaur, however, is very startling if not scary. Roller Coasters aren't scary, they offer more of an escape and a good time. Dinosaur feels like you're speeding through complete darkness with strobe flashes here and there, loud noises, and a jerky motion. Not to mention waiting for a HUGE dino AA to pop out. I consider it thrilling, I don't know, I just call it scary, because I'm not fastidious with words.

To frighten, startle and scare are all synonyms. It's the same thing.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
I just really like that atraction. I wouldn't call it scary then, maybe surprising. It makes me jump, because the sound is coming from everywhere.

haveyoumetmark

Could someone inform me of why my HTML tags are not recognized when using the "Mobile Devices" theme? I use it because it is the most screen reader compatible.

If there is a special method needed to embed an object for these boards, please let me know. I'm surprised my link in the previous post didn't get turned into a clickable link automatically. I could see why the embed tag may have failed, you could embed other, less desirable content.

Ryan

It's probably because
[ IMG ] is on
and
HTML is off.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
TOT only gets me startled if the sequence starts with a drop. Then from here it is all good.

I really like how they don't just let you fall, they pull you down. I had a bag in my lap come up and punch me in the face. The next drop, I held it out, and it slowly floated up and way until we reached the bottom. Oh well, the closest to weightlessness I'll ever be then huh?

Ryan

Damien666

I would have to agree with Dinosaur being the scariest attraction since AE is gone. First time I went on it I was in the front row and hoo boy did that make the finale a insane one! :eek:

Now I know that some people don't find Dinosaur or AE scary and that's ok. MissM, everyone has different views on what scares them while some people find one thing scary, others find it not scary at all. Kinda like some people find "The Blair Witch Project" scary and I find it the biggest piece of garbage I've seen in a long time.

People have thier own types of fears, I've seen a video of one guy that had a fear of Peaches...yes, peaches. Myself I was afraid of the screaming Statue of Liberty from the Home Alone 2 commercial! :lookaroun

Jessie&Buzz

I've never been on Dinosaur because I don't like scary things. My family all told me that it's scary so I won't ride it. Yes I'm a baby! I totally agree that ToT is scary too. I don't like things that drop like that.

Vernonpush

It think that Voyage of The Little Mermaid is also one of the scarrier attractions. I have yet to watch that show without a dozen children screaming through it.

smk

I rode the Rockin' rollar coaster at MGM for the first time in October and I thought I would die...I cried when the ride was over, I didn't stop shaking for a full hour later. I am not sure that I was breathing during the launch sequence, I know I had my eyes closed the ENTIRE time. The funny thing is I ride coasters, just not ones that go upside down, at full speed ahead. I thought, when I was waiting in line to get on the ride, with little kids and older women in wheelchairs, that I would love it. I thought I would ride and get back on and ride again. Instead, I rode it and sat for an hour, shaking, and in total disbelief that it effected me like it did!:hurl: . Now, would I be the same on Dinosaurs? Is it a thrill ride? I have done Everest and I loved it, screamed the whole time but loved it. I like ToT also, RnR is not my thing and I will never go on it again!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...Now, would I be the same on Dinosaurs? Is it a thrill ride?
Dinosaur is an E Ride, but not a rollercoaster. Your ride vehicle follows a track quite slowly; it`s speed has nothing compared to Everest or even BTM. What makes Dinosaur rougher than say Test Track (which is also far faster than Dinosaur is) is the EMV ride vehicle; it can accelerate quickly and come to a full stop just as quick - and it also a motion base. Imagine Star Tours on wheels and you get the idea. Whilst the track course is relatively smooth it`s the vehicles motions on its axis that create the thrills. And it`s rather dark, with `night time in a jungle` lighting. If you`ve done Everest and Test Track you`ll be fine. It`s well worth it, despite not being quite what it used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom