Dinosaur Rehab

MythBuster

Does anybody else think that the ride is a little too dark (lighting wise)? You can't really see too much environment unless there is a stobe light flashing on a dino. I'd love to see more atmosphere!

In fact, the ride used to be much darker in the beginning and they have added more lighting and different types of lighting, so you can see the track now and before you couldn't, and that takes away from the effect.

Last time, I counted over 20 special effects that aren't working or just turned off (like the lasers).

There also is a lot of things happening that most people don't realize because it isn't explained. For instance, after you leave the 1st Carno and you speed up and do that 180 turn, there is a big bump and then you travel further and the Saltaurus just looks at you going by, actually that bump is you supposely running over his tail and then he turns around and looks to see what it was.

Slowjack

The movie name of 'dinosaur' changed from CTX to Dinosaur, so the ride followed suit. Never going to change back now.
I don't believe this is entirely accurate. I mean, yes, the ride was changed from CTX to Dinosaur because of the film of the same name. And yes, I don't see them changing it now. But I haven't seen any evidence the film was going to be called CTX. The teaser info from 1998 (which is when CTX the ride opened) calls the film Dinosaur even then. So it's pretty clear that giving the film and ride the same name was not part of the original plan.

I never understood why they changed CTX, anyway. The film wasn't that popular, and "Dinosaur" is a really generic name compared to Countdown to Extinction. Also they never felt the need to rename "It's Tough To Be a Bug."

DisneyWales

This is one ride I love to hate, I think its state of the art, but when i first went on it it scared the Bejebus out of me.

But i have a very bad fear of Water and machinery, and machinery moving towards me, so yeah that wonderful Photo op was a funny pic for my family for a few years.

When i rode in 2002, the only laser effect i remember is the one form the end, around the dinosaur, and I seem to remember the pterodactyl coming towards me, but that could just been my imagination.

I do think is a top class attraction, and deserves to be run at its optimal settings, so if they are going to get the broken stuff running again, bring on a refub, in this day and age of clones having something unique to WDW is something to celebrate, so I'm all for Dinosaur becoming a true E ticket again.

Figment632

Its a shame because when this ride first opened it was one of my favorites. We go for ten days every year and we would hit this ride up multiple times during our trip. It's just not the same and on the last trip we only rode once. It needs a major refurb.

It could be worse though! At least it's not as bad as that god awful Jurassic Park ride at Universal!

danesporty

Its a shame because when this ride first opened it was one of my favorites. We go for ten days every year and we would hit this ride up multiple times during our trip. It's just not the same and on the last trip we only rode once. It needs a major refurb.

It could be worse though! At least it's not as bad as that god awful Jurassic Park ride at Universal!

The ride could use a rehab just to at leats get most of the effects working again. Thats what makes it great is having all the effects working together.

Also Jurassic Park at IOA is a good ride as well if they could keep all the parts working. There are so many different aspects of that ride that worked when it first opened and made it a great ride, but lately it seems many of them never seem to work. IMO it is still a good ride!

A coworker of mine just got back from WDW a few days ago and told me Dinosaur was closed for refurbishment, however, this was her first time and she may have been confused..

Tom Morrow

I'm surprised, I tend to be one of the first ones to notice when an effect on a ride isn't working, but I honestly didn't know this many effects on Dinosaur were broken. If they do a refurb, it would be nice to get them all working again, as well as a few additions.

raven

Can someone describe in detail all of the broken effects?

The green laser effect, that's been missing for a couple of years, creates a frame at the end of the tunnel that your vehicle "breaks" to go back in time and return. This is why you still hear the glass break at the end of the time tunnel. I belive there were strobes there at one time as well.

The Compy's are the little dinos that look like they are jumping over your vehicle. They have been stuck in their end spot for a couple of years as well.

The large dino head that you pass under right before you go back into the time tunnel (where it says "we're not gonna make it!) used to actually come at you. It's been stationary for a while. When it works you will about mess your pants!

People have to rememeber though that each time they go on the ride it could be different. The motion of the vehicle pulls from a computer that can mix up the ride to make sure each ride is a little bit different. Most people won't notice though.

Rob562

The green laser effect, that's been missing for a couple of years, creates a frame at the end of the tunnel that your vehicle "breaks" to go back in time and return.

Don't forget the laser effect by the Iguanodon just before the ending. I presume this is the computer "increasing the transport field" to grab him, too. I don't remember the laser at the re-entry time tunnel though...

-Rob

SirGoofy

I'm suprised, I tend to be one of the first ones to notice when an effect on a ride isn't working, but I honestly didn't know this many effects on Dinosaur were broken. If they do a refurb, it would be nice to get them all working again, as well as a few additions.

That's because helf of this stuff worked for about a year. If you didn't ride it in that year, you've never seen it. It's sad really. Dino was a top notch attraction when everything was 100%.

The bigger shame is the non-functioning Yeti, though. Its such a shame to spend so much on ONE ANIMATRONIC, the highlight of the entire attraction, and not have it work.

Yea, anyone want to place wagers on how many years the yeti will be broken?

Disneyfanman

Does anyone else believe that Disney is simply trying too hard to make their animatronics overly complex? The Yeti is absolutely amazing, but they have had trouble with it from the beginning. I read stories about John Lasseter worrying about Mr. Potato Head being too complex to be kept running before they even installed him, and now he apparently has chronic troubles. The Wall-E robot broke down on a major television appearance. I love and appreciate the Disney animatronics, but if they are broken more often then they work?

I remember reading years ago in the "Art of Disney" that an early learning was that, in animatronics, a small gesture sometimes worked just as well, but required far less resources and maint. While some types of figures need the absolute best imagineering possible (Hall of Presidents), couldn't the Yeti have been better engineered to move slightly less and hold up long term?

In restaurant design, (my industry), we learn over and over that things need to be simple, durable, and dependable. Whenever we get starry eyed over new technology we have to step back and ask ourselves if the gain outweighs the resources required to maintain.

Just a thought.

eddy21

Does anyone else believe that Disney is simply trying too hard to make their animatronics overly complex? The Yeti is absolutely amazing, but they have had trouble with it from the beginning. I read stories about John Lasseter worrying about Mr. Potato Head being too complex to be kept running before they even installed him, and now he apparently has chronic troubles. The Wall-E robot broke down on a major television appearance. I love and appreciate the Disney animatronics, but if they are broken more often then they work?

I remember reading years ago in the "Art of Disney" that an early learning was that, in animatronics, a small gesture sometimes worked just as well, but required far less resources and maint. While some types of figures need the absolute best imagineering possible (Hall of Presidents), couldn't the Yeti have been better engineered to move slightly less and hold up long term?

In restaurant design, (my industry), we learn over and over that things need to be simple, durable, and dependable. Whenever we get starry eyed over new technology we have to step back and ask ourselves if the gain outweighs the resources required to maintain.

Just a thought.
I think that nails it. There not thinking long term durability and from what I hear ease of maintainance.

Ailtara

Not that it's the main topic anymore, but the Sauropod (long-necked dino) scene was down as of yesterday morning. They did not edit out the scene's audio.

RSoxNo1

The green laser effect, that's been missing for a couple of years, creates a frame at the end of the tunnel that your vehicle "breaks" to go back in time and return. This is why you still hear the glass break at the end of the time tunnel. I belive there were strobes there at one time as well.

The Compy's are the little dinos that look like they are jumping over your vehicle. They have been stuck in their end spot for a couple of years as well.

The large dino head that you pass under right before you go back into the time tunnel (where it says "we're not gonna make it!) used to actually come at you. It's been stationary for a while. When it works you will about mess your pants!

People have to rememeber though that each time they go on the ride it could be different. The motion of the vehicle pulls from a computer that can mix up the ride to make sure each ride is a little bit different. Most people won't notice though.

Thanks Raven. I've been going on this ride every year since opening day of the park. It's hard to remember all of the effects in it. I remember the Carnotaurus lurching forward at the end, but the effect that doesn't seem to always be working is the charging Carnotaurus that comes on the left side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom