Dinosaur has seen better days

AndyS2992

Pixar needs to make a dinosaurs movie. Maybe a Toy Story origin where T-Rex is a real dino in the dino age šŸ™ˆ
Not quite but there's this:
Toy_Story_That_Time_Forgot.jpg

ChrisM

How scarier was it at opening? I've always heard that but I'm not sure what could've changed besides lighting.

My recollection of riding the original Countdown to Extinction was that it was terrifying. So much so that I finally put my head down and closed my eyes (as a grown adult!) near the end of the ride.

It just seemed like non-stop noise, flashes, and jump-scares.

What the ride is now, by comparison, is a boring ride through the dark where nothing much happens.

BlakeW39

My recollection of riding the original Countdown to Extinction was that it was terrifying. So much so that I finally put my head down and closed my eyes (as a grown adult!) near the end of the ride.

It just seemed like non-stop noise, flashes, and jump-scares.

What the ride is now, by comparison, is a boring ride through the dark where nothing much happens.

not even really a ride through the dark... again, because wanted to make the ride more child friendly, the lighting was increased to the point where you can even see the interior walls of the show building.

cjkeating

not even really a ride through the dark... again, because wanted to make the ride more child friendly, the lighting was increased to the point where you can even see the interior walls of the show building.
What I don't understand about Dinosaur is how 50% of people come off saying it's too dark and they can't see anything and another 50% of people say it's too light and you can see the showbuilding.

Is it something to do with peoples eyes? What the weather is like outside? Were you wearing sunglasses? As I know I go on rides and depending on the weather/time of day you can see more... try riding Radiator Spring Racers at night and the indoor show scene is like riding it with the house lights on. At least that's what my eyes see.

BlakeW39

What I don't understand about Dinosaur is how 50% of people come off saying it's too dark and they can't see anything and another 50% of people say it's too light and you can see the showbuilding.

Is it something to do with peoples eyes? What the weather is like outside? Were you wearing sunglasses? As I know I go on rides and depending on the weather/time of day you can see more... try riding Radiator Spring Racers at night and the indoor show scene is like riding it with the house lights on. At least that's what my eyes see.

Well it's kind of both. It's still a dark ride and most of the walls/floors are painted in dark colors, so to the average person it would probably be considered dark. But to those who rode the original attraction, there is a lot more lighting than there was in the past, so much so that you see things you aren't supposed to and the jumpscares don't really work well. So yes, it's a dark ride but it's not nearly as dark as it used to be.

Incomudro

Well it's kind of both. It's still a dark ride and most of the walls/floors are painted in dark colors, so to the average person it would probably be considered dark. But to those who rode the original attraction, there is a lot more lighting than there was in the past, so much so that you see things you aren't supposed to and the jumpscares don't really work well. So yes, it's a dark ride but it's not nearly as dark as it used to be.
Then there is a segment of riders who think the ride is (still) too dark.
They want to see everything, and don't like the dark segments where you travel along being jostled and unable to see anything.
For me, those moments are some of the best moments of the ride.

BlakeW39

They want to see everything, and don't like the dark segments where you travel along being jostled and unable to see anything.

anyone who thinks the ride is 'too dark' just doesn't know what they're talking about.... if you turned the lights on, all you'll see are the walls and ceilings of the show building. Way too much lighting now, the dinosaurs are painted in bright colors too and it looks stupid and goofy. It's supposed to be dark, you're in the jungle in the dead of night. The ride wasn't meant to be experienced how it is today. Compared to the original version, the ride today looks very very cheap

Last edited:

Andrew25

anyone who thinks the ride is 'too dark' just doesn't know what they're talking about.... if you turned the lights on, all you'll see are the walls and ceilings of the show building. Way too much lighting now, the dinosaurs are painted in bright colors too and it looks stupid and goofy. It's supposed to be dark, you're in the jungle in the dead if night. The ride wasn't meant to be experienced how it is today. And that makes the ride look very very cheap

I think when people mention how "dark" the ride is, it's referring to all of the effects currently not working on the ride and Disney just shutting them off instead of working on them. So I think the complaints are directed more toward areas of the ride where nothing is happening, versus it being too dark to see.

The paint the dinosaurs currently have made it look like a cheap 3D haunted house.

The Lochness Monsta

Eventually they may replace this attraction. Judging from the concept art and rumors from the past couple of years.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I actually love Dinoland. Especially Restaurantosaurus, it's so well themed. You'd just need to add in a few attractions (a rollercoaster and merry go round or ferris wheel) and this could be a great land.

Last edited:

Moka

It's an unpopular opinion, but I actually love Dinoland. Especially Restaurantosaurus, it's so well themed. You'd just need to add in a few attractions (a rollercoaster and merry go round or ferris wheel) and this could be a great land.
And that's the thing that really sucks. With some real love put into it Dinoland could be super great. But instead, they're letting it rot away to then use that as an excuse to gut it sometime in the far future. Disney gonna Disney.

Ayla

Eventually they may replace this attraction. Judging from the concept art and rumors from the past couple of years.

Restaurantosaurus used to serve McDonald's food.

jannerUK

I think personally the IP is the best thing about it. Its an acceptable IP rather than shoehorned in. Yes, it is an obscure cannon Disney film but thats good. I like that aspect, rather than always selecting the latest hard hitting film.

I know when I write this that when Dinosaur came out it was doing just the above; its only because it has since gone into obscurity

Inspired Figment

Ultimately I think the film IP tie-in was unnecessary and never truly made the experience any better to more appealing to the masses. Always felt more like an instantly dated thing needlessly shoehorned in to an already successful attraction rather than something naturally created with/for it. Was never part of the attractionā€™s original conceptual design, shouldā€™ve kept its original title, Countdown to Extinction, period and simply enhanced it with new tech & spfx over time.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
To me those dark sections now scream ā€œWe were too cheap to actually theme this like Indiana Jones Adventureā€ without the accompanying pay-off of jump scares CTX originally provided that Dinosaur does not.

So budget restraints caused those dark scenes, but originally, they made the best out of what they had and it worked as a non-headliner. It was never as large-scaled or big budgeted as Indy, but it was originally a better experience as CTX than Dinosaur is now since the darkness was actually building up to something.

Now, itā€™s just a cheesy script saying ā€œright, leftā€ in either complete darkness or the occasional overly lit-up dinosaur that kills the scary tone. That is of course, when things are actually working.

The whole thing needs an update, a soundtrack, a commitment to actually having a tone, a desire to actually maintain the thing. Iā€™d honestly be fine with a complete replacement so long as itā€™s not Zootopia, they use the same track, and we get another ride in addition to it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom