DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

Nickels5

I guess I'll point this out again. My only point has been for Japan's T-Rex being a great AA.

Here's my ranking: Creature Technologies' Walking with Dinosaurs>>>>Japan T-Rex>>Chasing Carnotaurus>>>>>>All other AA's in Dinosaur/JPRA. The Raptors in both are twitchy and stink. The Sauropod in Dinosaur is more fluid but is just a head/neck and the Ultrasaur in JPRA is the one that's clunky and unrealistic to me. The Hadrosaur in Dinosaur is at least a full body compared to the ones in JPRA but still doesn't move much. Both rides need an overhaul imo.

Btw, I showed my cousin who is nowhere near as into theme parks as I am the GIFs I made and without hesitation she said the T-Rex was the better AA. Let's just end this already.
Yep end it, his cousin said so cased closed everyone. Mods lock the thread.

KingOfEpicocity

I guess I'll point this out again. My only point has been for Japan's T-Rex being a great AA.

Here's my ranking: Creature Technologies' Walking with Dinosaurs>>>>Japan T-Rex>>Chasing Carnotaurus>>>>>>All other AA's in Dinosaur/JPRA. The Raptors in both are twitchy and stink. The Sauropod in Dinosaur is more fluid but is just a head/neck and the Ultrasaur in JPRA is the AA that's clunky and unrealistic to me. The Hadrosaur in Dinosaur is at least a full body compared to the ones in JPRA but still doesn't move much. Both rides need an overhaul imo. Let's just end this argument already.

P.S. I showed my cousin who is nowhere near as into theme parks as I am the GIFs I made and without hesitation she said the T-Rex was the better AA.

Or you could just say the AA Trex made for the Jurassic park movie was the best. Because it was. And end it there

MerlinTheGoat

I'm actually somewhat of a fan of this ride in spite of its flaws, and the AA's are a part of that reason. I'm mostly on board with Disney's dino AA's being better than most of JP's dinos, again with the exception of Japan's t rex.

I would assume compliance is the reason Disney's AA's have a more fluid motion to them, something they apparently have a patent on. It does add some realism to human and other animal figures, though Universal has made some truly awesome figures without the tech (such as Gringott's goblins) and I would still praise them even against some of Disney's best. Though compliance is still great and certainly does tend to improve AA's noticeably.

HOWEVER, and i'm surprised to be saying this, I don't think the lack of compliance is as much of a hindrance to reptile-based AA's including dinosaurs. That's not to say the JP AA's in Orlando don't need work (they could use some improvements, even disregarding compliance), but the absence of super-fluid motion (seen in Disney's human figures) isn't really as big of a problem for reptiles. Reptiles in actual life tend to have very jerky almost mechanical movement to the naked eye (many birds do as well). Anyone familiar with Florida will probably notice the masses of brown (and occasionally green) anole lizards we've got skittering around. They have extremely odd movement, standing completely still and making sudden jerking motions with their heads or bodies, able to move so fast and precisely that it can seem instantaneous unless you're looking closely.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

I'm actually somewhat of a fan of this ride in spite of its flaws, and the AA's are a part of that reason. I'm mostly on board with Disney's dino AA's being better than most of JP's dinos, again with the exception of Japan's t rex.

I would assume compliance is the reason Disney's AA's have a more fluid motion to them, something they apparently have a patent on. It does add some realism to human and other animal figures, though Universal has made some truly awesome figures without the tech (such as Gringott's goblins) and I would still praise them even against some of Disney's best. Though compliance is still great and certainly does tend to improve AA's noticeably.

HOWEVER, and i'm surprised to be saying this, I don't think the lack of compliance is as much of a hindrance to reptile-based AA's including dinosaurs. That's not to say the JP AA's in Orlando don't need work (they could use some improvements, even disregarding compliance), but the absence of super-fluid motion (seen in Disney's human figures) isn't really as big of a problem for reptiles. Reptiles in actual life tend to have very jerky almost mechanical movement to the naked eye (many birds do as well). Anyone familiar with Florida will probably notice the masses of brown (and occasionally green) anole lizards we've got skittering around. They have extremely odd movement, standing completely still and making sudden jerking motions with their heads or bodies, able to move so fast and precisely that it can seem instantaneous unless you're looking closely.

I still don't get the praise for the goblins. They have a good skin detail but they barely move at all. Nothing near anything Disneys done.

Pirate665

People keep saying reptile like, but the fact is the JP movies based the movements on birds. This was even acknowledged in the film. "They're uh... flocking this way..." So the reptile argument is not really an argument. This is a movie series that has established the relation to birds. The only thing they didn't comment on till the most recent film was why the dinosaurs didn't have feathers ("We've taken some licenses with these animals, always have.")

Now, some species of birds have very jerky movements (ex finches, parakeets, ect) but I think something the size of a T-Rex should move more like an ostrich. Smooth, fluid like movements. I think something the size of the compies should move like a finch and something the size of carno or T-Rex should move like an owl or ostrich.

MerlinTheGoat

Larger birds such as ostriches and raptor birds (eagles, hawks, owls etc) still often exhibit extremely jerky motion (though they can be graceful as well). Particularly when hunting or pecking at things, or when moving their heads. Motions i commonly witness when watching egrets, herons, ibis and other large birds commonly spotted in Florida. Which is why I mentioned birds above alongside reptiles, I am well aware of dino's relationship with birds.

Last edited:

AEfx

Really is. I would love to see that at the end of JPRA

It barely made it through filming. The water really him up in his big scene. There is some great behind the scenes footage of him malfunctioning due to the weight of the water that his skin was absorbing.

That's why the ones we see in rides are not as convincing - the skins have to be made to take a lot more daily abuse for years on end - especially the ones near water in the JP ride.

KingOfEpicocity

It barely made it through filming. The water really him up in his big scene. There is some great behind the scenes footage of him malfunctioning due to the weight of the water that his skin was absorbing.

That's why the ones we see in rides are not as convincing - the skins have to be made to take a lot more daily abuse for years on end - especially the ones near water in the JP ride.

A great point.

ctxak98

People keep saying reptile like, but the fact is the JP movies based the movements on birds. This was even acknowledged in the film. "They're uh... flocking this way..." So the reptile argument is not really an argument. This is a movie series that has established the relation to birds. The only thing they didn't comment on till the most recent film was why the dinosaurs didn't have feathers ("We've taken some licenses with these animals, always have.")

Now, some species of birds have very jerky movements (ex finches, parakeets, ect) but I think something the size of a T-Rex should move more like an ostrich. Smooth, fluid like movements. I think something the size of the compies should move like a finch and something the size of carno or T-Rex should move like an owl or ostrich.
Certain dinosaurs were known to be birdlike.....not all. The carnotaurus was known to not have feathers or be bird like really. The actual skin was found imprinted around the fossils which is why they know it has bumpy skin. So the bird like quality mainly relates to smaller dinosaurs and raptors family

ctxak98

Larger birds such as ostriches and raptor birds (eagles, hawks, owls etc) still often exhibit extremely jerky motion (though they can be graceful as well). Particularly when hunting or pecking at things, or when moving their heads. Motions i commonly witness when watching egrets, herons, ibis and other large birds commonly spotted in Florida. Which is why I mentioned birds above alongside reptiles, I am well aware of dino's relationship with birds.
But even in the natural world there is a smoothness to the jerky Spatz like movement. Each little movement has a reason and motivation behind it. It's quick and sharp but not clunky or out of sync. The problem with the JPRA animatronics is they don't move naturally like an animal would. Yes lizards and birds move a little more sharply but it's not a flailing out of control mess like the dilophosaurus, or velociraptors in the JPRA. I really think the first carnotaurus has the best lifelike movement for any dinosaur animatronic to date(in an attraction). It moves fast and has a really quick head turn that makes it feel like it's thinking about what it's come across. If you think the animatronics for walking with dinosaurs looks good, than you should agree with the fact dinosaur has more realistic dinosaurs.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
So just out of curiosity... Does anyone here like the movie "Dinosaur"? I loved it when I was a kid. However it wasn't clear to me that this ride was "based" on the movie when I went, with its "tie-ins"... Just the statue out front. Otherwise when I was a kid, I didn't think about the movie at all. Because the ride has hardly anything to do with the movie at all. Didn't even notice that Aladar was in the ride.
I'd never heard of the movie until last year, and that was only because I was watching through all of Disney's animated movies. It was kind of painful for me to watch because of how dated the animation looked and certain parts of the dialogue. I did, however, appreciate the story. As for its connection to the ride... yeah, the connection is in name only.

Mike S

Certain dinosaurs were known to be birdlike.....not all. The carnotaurus was known to not have feathers or be bird like really. The actual skin was found imprinted around the fossils which is why they know it has bumpy skin. So the bird like quality mainly relates to smaller dinosaurs and raptors family
It may not have had feathers but I think all Theropod Dinosaurs had some bird-like qualities. Some closer than others but still there.

RSoxNo1

It did.

But don't forget the compsognathus. They're a travesty.

Along with the laser portals. And the laser net. And the re entry vortex.

Don't get me started again...
Some of those effects (ok, really just the laser net) didn't look good. I was there on the official opening day and I don't recall the net or the narration from your video. Now the swooping pterodactyl and hopping compys, it would be nice to see those return.

I'd like to see the ride plussed so it's back to being a true e-ticket. At that point it would make taking Everest offline for however long that needs a bit easier.

makesmewonder

According to some people, the ride needs this refurb since it's in bad state. I get it. But I just don't understand how they can schedule a refurb for it the same summer they're trying to convince people that AK and his few rides can be a full day park. Dinosaur is a real headliner at AK, and one of the few thrills rides still available at Disney World. Animal Kingdom will only have 5 rides (if you count Primeval Whirl) open this summer, but his hours are extended as much as for the Magic Kingdom. For me, this refurb at that time of the year is not a good decision.

rle4lunch

REtheme Dinoland (cuz it's cheesy and lower caliber than 6 flags), change Dinosaur to Indy (cuz dinosaur is just plain dumb, and not fun), and MAYBE, just maybe, that part of the part would actually get some foot traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom