DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

KingOfEpicocity

According to some people, the ride needs this refurb since it's in bad state. I get it. But I just don't understand how they can schedule a refurb for it the same summer they're trying to convince people that AK and his few rides can be a full day park. Dinosaur is a real headliner at AK, and one of the few thrills rides still available at Disney World. Animal Kingdom will only have 5 rides (if you count Primeval Whirl) open this summer, but his hours are extended as much as for the Magic Kingdom. For me, this refurb at that time of the year is not a good decision.

If I'm not
Mistaken late September is the start of hurricane season. Which means the start of the low season at WDW. Including the end of summer and the start of school. That's when the crowds are very low. So it really is smart

KingOfEpicocity

This! I love Dinosaur and hope this update gives it a nice boost. I'm not expecting much, but whatever they do I'm sure will improve the experience. The ride is severely underrated and hidden in DAK. I love Indy, but we don't need a clone on this side of the country.

Dinosaur isn't a clone of Indy. The tracks are the same yes but literally everything else is different.

CastleBound

Dinosaur isn't a clone of Indy. The tracks are the same yes but literally everything else is different.
uhmmmm yea.... I noticed. o_O I was referring to one of the prior posts that said to change it to Indy.
REtheme Dinoland (cuz it's cheesy and lower caliber than 6 flags), change Dinosaur to Indy (cuz dinosaur is just plain dumb, and not fun), and MAYBE, just maybe, that part of the part would actually get some foot traffic.

rle4lunch

uhmmmm yea.... I noticed. o_O I was referring to one of the prior posts that said to change it to Indy.

the ride is 'alright'. It's a decent time filler when waiting on a different ride, but nothing spectacular. Dinoland itself feels terribly cheap and 'thrown together'. The whole area struggles to keep foot traffic, which is sad considering what many have said about AK being a half-day park. I agree with the half day thing, as well as DHS being a quarter day park (now that Osborne is gone and we always go to WDW the first week of December). The simple fact that Dinosaur and Dinoland proper is really never that busy is a testament to the fact that the land needs something done with it.

that said, an updated and different Indy story that would replace Dinosaur would be right in-line with Disney's cheap thinking. They already have the ride system in place, new overlay inside it to incorporate Indy would be awesome. It wouldn't be a clone. Think of it as a different iteration just like HM and SM and IASW and BTMR and so forth.

KingOfEpicocity

the ride is 'alright'. It's a decent time filler when waiting on a different ride, but nothing spectacular. Dinoland itself feels terribly cheap and 'thrown together'. The whole area struggles to keep foot traffic, which is sad considering what many have said about AK being a half-day park. I agree with the half day thing, as well as DHS being a quarter day park (now that Osborne is gone and we always go to WDW the first week of December). The simple fact that Dinosaur and Dinoland proper is really never that busy is a testament to the fact that the land needs something done with it.

that said, an updated and different Indy story that would replace Dinosaur would be right in-line with Disney's cheap *** thinking. They already have the ride system in place, new overlay inside it to incorporate Indy would be awesome. It wouldn't be a clone. Think of it as a different iteration just like HM and SM and IASW and BTMR and so forth.
I highly disagree. I love Dinosaur, it's unique and creative story, and the overall ride experience. An Indy refurb would be even more half done and rushed than just fixing Dino.

ctxak98

that said, an updated and different Indy story that would replace Dinosaur would be right in-line with Disney's cheap *** thinking. They already have the ride system in place, new overlay inside it to incorporate Indy would be awesome. It wouldn't be a clone. Think of it as a different iteration just like HM and SM and IASW and BTMR and so forth.
This is where I disagree. The ride is so much more than most attractions. It has so many different element put into it. Is it perfect?! No. Would I want it to be made better?! Absolutely! Is it just a filler ride? No way! This ride is pretty darn fun.

I think it really comes down to personal taste, but it's in my top 5 favorite rides. Its a good break from the traditional Disney ride, which is usually so based on a Disney film or happy and very clean. That's why haunted mansion is so great in the magic kingdom....its unique and is a great break from all the happy fantasy ( but still has heart).

makesmewonder

According to some people, the ride needs this refurb since it's in bad state. I get it. But I just don't understand how they can schedule a refurb for it the same summer they're trying to convince people that AK and his few rides can be a full day park. Dinosaur is a real headliner at AK, and one of the few thrills rides still available at Disney World. Animal Kingdom will only have 5 rides (if you count Primeval Whirl) open this summer, but his hours are extended as much as for the Magic Kingdom. For me, this refurb at that time of the year is not a good decision.

If I'm not
Mistaken late September is the start of hurricane season. Which means the start of the low season at WDW. Including the end of summer and the start of school. That's when the crowds are very low. So it really is smart

Agree for September, but what about august ? Dinosaur will close in late july, so in the middle of the summer season.

KingOfEpicocity

This is where I disagree. The ride is so much more than most attractions. It has so many different element put into it. Is it perfect?! No. Would I want it to be made better?! Absolutely! Is it just a filler ride? No way! This ride is pretty darn fun.

I think it really comes down to personal taste, but it's in my top 5 favorite rides. Its a good break from the traditional Disney ride, which is usually so based on a Disney film or happy and very clean. That's why haunted mansion is so great in the magic kingdom....its unique and is a great break from all the happy fantasy ( but still has heart).

You know a lot of people praise universal for making rides that "Disney wouldn't do." But I think this is a great example of a thrill ride that's pretty intense, creative, and just a lot of fun. At least to me.

CastleBound

I agree very much with everything about Dinoland. I kinda hate going through there because it is on the same level of every boardwalk entertainment center here in NJ. I get there is a story behind everything, but that doesn't excuse the execution. Dinosaur itself is very fun to me. I ride it several times per visit and always find it to be thrilling. I think the darkness, plus the chasing Carno give the ride a great thrill. Plus it's extremely quotable.

As for updating it to Indy, that just makes no sense in this park. I love Indy, I am a very active fan of Indy, but I don't need an Indy ride in DAK. The films have never been about conservation/animals, so that retheming would never work. Plus I love the incorporation of Dinosaurs into the park. If they could re-shapre the land a bit, upgrade the ride, I'd be happy.

teadrinker

Everything is closing during my time in September, this is getting really bothersome, i wish they'd plan it so rides like Dinosaur and BTM arent closed together.

If only RoL actually came out to compensate for it...
I'm there when these rides are closed too. Now it's a small world will be closed too. Not happy Disney

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yup. That's what the paper Publix bag told me as a kid.

Funny what your remember.
Well, having lived in both Orlando and Panama City for many years, we lived hurricane season. ;) And weirdly, there are rare occurrences when you can get a hurricane in May.

teadrinker

Lets just let small world and dinosaur fall into despair (more than they already are) because it's closed during your vacation. They have to do it sometime. Don't get mad when things get fixed.
I wouldn't mind one or two but three rides at the same time? This means queues for other rides will be longer. They could have spread them out a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom