DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

ctxak98

That's what I thought. I thought most of the changes have been effects being turned off. Nothing story wise. Except of course the narration changing.
Even then, the narration was changed very early on in the CTX days. So basically we have the exact same rides. Just many broken/ missing effects and toned down sounds and motion. Everything else is identical as far as I know!

Pirate665

Maybe it's bad memory then, but I could've sworn in the early 2000's when I was working Bone Yard, they didn't have that.

Thanks for any correction though as Dinosaur has never been a fan-fav of mine. Just the Bone Yard.
Dinosaurs, much like lizards, would have that floppy neck skin. It might not move that aggressively but it would be there.

Not to keep going with this outrageously dumb argument, but most of JPRA t-Rex have like a sheet for its neck. It's laughable!

But they are more closely related to birds than lizards. Still, think turkey.

That's what I thought. I thought most of the changes have been effects being turned off. Nothing story wise. Except of course the narration changing.

I have stood corrected but stand by my thoughts on the effects. At least it's better than having The Good Dinosaur added. Watching a dinosaur use it's head as a plow does not a ride make.

KingOfEpicocity

Maybe it's bad memory then, but I could've sworn in the early 2000's when I was working Bone Yard, they didn't have that.

Thanks for any correction though as Dinosaur has never been a fan-fav of mine. Just the Bone Yard.

But they are more closely related to birds than lizards. Still, think turkey.

I have stood corrected but stand by my thoughts on the effects. At least it's better than having The Good Dinosaur added. Watching a dinosaur use it's head as a plow does not a ride make.

Hey dinosaur is still my favorite ride in Florida. IF your implying that the dinos dont move then look again my friend. I didnt see any Trex walk!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So just out of curiosity... Does anyone here like the movie "Dinosaur"? I loved it when I was a kid. However it wasn't clear to me that this ride was "based" on the movie when I went, with its "tie-ins"... Just the statue out front. Otherwise when I was a kid, I didn't think about the movie at all. Because the ride has hardly anything to do with the movie at all. Didn't even notice that Aladar was in the ride.

Pirate665

So just out of curiosity... Does anyone here like the movie "Dinosaur"? I loved it when I was a kid. However it wasn't clear to me that this ride was "based" on the movie when I went, with its "tie-ins"... Just the statue out front. Otherwise when I was a kid, I didn't think about the movie at all. Because the ride has hardly anything to do with the movie at all. Didn't even notice that Aladar was in the ride.

I was a movie very much in it's time. It just doesn't age well. Kinda like the Black Cauldron. I loved that movie but the kids think it's cheesy movie and don't like it.

Bairstow

looking back on it, i still love the score by James Newton Howard, and i really appreciate the animation style

Yeah. The score way better than the rest of the movie.
I remember being really disappointed that the carnivorous dinosaurs like the raptors and carnotaurs didn't talk, which felt like a cop-out.
It's easier to write a movie about herbivorous animals if you cast the top of the food chain as mindless brutes rather than confront the reality that the meat-eaters are also fellow animals just trying to feed themselves.
The Land Before Time took the same shortcut, so "Dinosaur" didn't cover any new ground.
Now that I think about it, the whole movie is just a retread of The Land Before Time, except with less appealing characters.
And more monkeys.

Great music, though.

Mike S

More concentrating on story, not effects. The plot of getting the dino seems to drag things down for me and like I mentioned, the kids had no clue other than it was fun throwing around in the dark. And yes, the Carno's are well kept well-ish (last time I went a couple of weeks ago, Chase wasn't working) but I'd like to see alot more of effects return and alot more of the AA's get some love again.

Let's all just hope this is going to be a great Refurb and return an attraction back to a guests must see.
I got the head on a stick rather than the first Carnotaurus two weeks ago.

Matt_Black

I remember being really disappointed that the carnivorous dinosaurs like the raptors and carnotaurs didn't talk, which felt like a cop-out.
It's easier to write a movie about herbivorous animals if you cast the top of the food chain as mindless brutes rather than confront the reality that the meat-eaters are also fellow animals just trying to feed themselves.
The Land Before Time took the same shortcut, so "Dinosaur" didn't cover any new ground.

That's nothing new for Disney. You'll note there are no talking sharks in The Little Mermaid.

FigmentJedi

I do. Great visuals and score like others mentioned here, but the lemurs kinda dragged it down. Actually kinda funny though, the ride is one of the few spinoffs where almost the entire cast of the movie is killed off when you think about it.

Bairstow

That's nothing new for Disney. You'll note there are no talking sharks in The Little Mermaid.

There are in Finding Nemo, though.
Score one originality point for Pixar.

...they're in "The Good Dinosaur" too, and may I just note how much the three sets of talking carnivores and their different mindsets adds to the film.

KingOfEpicocity

Now that I think about it, the whole movie is just a retread of The Land Before Time, except with less appealing characters.
And more monkeys.

Great music, though.

I did an edit once where I added the score from dinosaur to the ride. It made a HUGE difference. It could help add some extra thrill to the ride.

Mike S

The rides aren't even in the same league, jurassic world leaves a lot to be desired, I feel the whole story of that ride is lacking in a big big way.
I guess I'll point this out again. My only point has been for Japan's T-Rex being a great AA.

Here's my ranking: Creature Technologies' Walking with Dinosaurs>>>>Japan T-Rex>>Chasing Carnotaurus>>>>>>All other AA's in Dinosaur/JPRA. The Raptors in both are twitchy and stink. The Sauropod in Dinosaur is more fluid but is just a head/neck and the Ultrasaur in JPRA is the AA that's clunky and unrealistic to me. The Hadrosaur in Dinosaur is at least a full body compared to the ones in JPRA but still doesn't move much. Both rides need an overhaul imo. Let's just end this argument already.

P.S. I showed my cousin who is nowhere near as into theme parks as I am the GIFs I made and without hesitation she said the T-Rex was the better AA.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom