Dining with characters is done

Bocabear

Do you want your kid hugging a plush suited character that just got hugged by 120 other possibly sick children? Unless the characters are run through a Silkwood Shower between each table I don't know how this could ever be a good idea to continue...
Maybe this could morph into more of a dinner theater experience without actual meetings anymore. The world has changed...We have to change with it.

Bocabear

After spending 18 months in maskes and washing your hands constantly and being concerned about possible infectious diseases, I think the effects of that would last a lot longer...Though in Disney terms, temporary can be up to 10 years....
Not sure Disney would want to risk being sued for infecting a room full of people because Tigger's fur suit was not sanitized thoroughly after being hugged by the sick family...

asianway

After spending 18 months in maskes and washing your hands constantly and being concerned about possible infectious diseases, I think the effects of that would last a lot longer...Though in Disney terms, temporary can be up to 10 years....
Not sure Disney would want to risk being sued for infecting a room full of people because Tigger's fur suit was not sanitized thoroughly after being hugged by the sick family...
Tiggers suit isn’t the problem it’s the HVAC

Lirael

They don't need to be completely gone. Disney can do something like putting the characters in a separate room and calling over tables at a allotted time to go hug them, and in between meets drown that costume in alcohol (or rotate two costumes: while one is meeting family A, costume 2 is being disinfected to meet family B). They can make this an up-charge (more than character dining already was) with a cost increase under the excuse that it's due to increased spending to keep the costumes disinfected. Something like the Beast M&G over at BOG, only paid and spaced out between families.

drizgirl

Do you want your kid hugging a plush suited character that just got hugged by 120 other possibly sick children? Unless the characters are run through a Silkwood Shower between each table I don't know how this could ever be a good idea to continue...
Maybe this could morph into more of a dinner theater experience without actual meetings anymore. The world has changed...We have to change with it.
Here's what won't change: Disney's desire for reinstating that revenue stream. If people won't pay for that revised experience, Disney will bring back traditional character dining to bring back the revenue (when it's reasonably possible).

Last edited:

Phil12

This makes me very sad because my favorite place is The Crystal Palace and seeing Winnie The Pooh and Friends. I am afraid that dining with characters visits will never be the same again. :(
Don't worry. A few new procedures and things will be back to normal in no time:

Unbanshee

I guess they're not done? 🤷‍♂️ ;)

tenor.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We knew WDW character dining would come back as soon as they brought it back to SDL and HKDL.

It was always a matter of when, not if.
Well, as Steve's article speculates, it's not likely to be a regular M&G, but the kind of walk-thru we've seen at other WDW that have already re-started character appearances.

It's odd that this is scheduled for Dec 16. Perhaps Christmas reservations are ticking up?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Well, as Steve's article speculates, it's not likely to be a regular M&G, but the kind of walk-thru we've seen at other WDW that have already re-started character appearances.

It's odd that this is scheduled for Dec 16. Perhaps Christmas reservations are ticking up?
Wondering if it anyway related to finding positions for some of the entertainment dept. that cannot easily be removed.

sbunit

Is this the "new character dining experience" we can expect to see indefinitely even once things return back to normal business as usual? Or is this the new business as usual standard where characters will only parade and there will no longer be physical interaction? Thoughts?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is this the "new character dining experience" we can expect to see indefinitely even once things return back to normal business as usual? Or is this the new business as usual standard where characters will only parade and there will no longer be physical interaction? Thoughts?
As long as health officials recommend social distancing, we can expect all M&G will be also distanced.

drew81

That type of dining could be the wave of the future. Table visits end and characters journey through the restaurant on an prearranged path.

dreday3

As long as health officials recommend social distancing, we can expect all M&G will be also distanced.

Should still be fun though!

I'll tell you, I hope the cavalcades are still happening next May - I want to be sitting at Nomad with some wine waving like a fool to all the characters passing by on boats! I think it looks awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom