Dining reopening news *(more reopening dates added on 8/4/21)*

Jefro

Ok, curious to hear from folks that have spent a bit more time at these places than us. My wife and I are headed to visit for our anniversary in the beginning of September. Have a few places reserved, and interested if recommendations, tips, etc for them if you can 😬

Monday:
Lunch - Cafe Orleans
Dinner - Lamplight Lounge
Tuesday:
Breakfast - Storytellers
Lunch - Lamplight
Dinner - Napa Rose
Wednesday:
Breakfast - Nothing planned yet
Lunch - Ballast Point
Dinner - Storytellers

Any other places you like or sub? Former APs, so we have been to some of these, but not the Napa Rose or Storytellers. But by no means experts at the ins and outs. Not a huge variety, but the best we could get considering the capacity etc.

Mahalo for the help and advice

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Ok, curious to hear from folks that have spent a bit more time at these places than us. My wife and I are headed to visit for our anniversary in the beginning of September. Have a few places reserved, and interested if recommendations, tips, etc for them if you can 😬

Monday:
Lunch - Cafe Orleans
Tuesday:
Breakfast - Storytellers
Lunch - Lamplight
Dinner - Napa Rose
Wednesday:
Breakfast - Nothing planned yet, but have a Storytellers res just in case. Worth going more than once for breakfast?
Lunch - Ballast Point
Dinner - Storytellers

Any other places you like or sub? Former APs, so we have been to some of these, but not the Napa Rose or Storytellers. But by no means experts at the ins and outs. Not a huge variety, but the best we could get considering the capacity etc.

I couldn't manage three table service meals in one day - especially with Storytellers' buffets being selections for two of your three days. Bring your appetites! :) (Note: the characters are there for breakfast and brunch meals, but not dinner, just FYI.)

P.S. I'd choose Black Tap over Ballast Point personally, but I don't drink and I do dessert :) so that's why Black Tap wins for me: for the CrazyShakes!

waltography

Monday:
Lunch - Cafe Orleans
Tuesday:
Breakfast - Storytellers
Lunch - Lamplight
Dinner - Napa Rose
Wednesday:
Breakfast - Nothing planned yet, but have a Storytellers res just in case. Worth going more than once for breakfast?
Lunch - Ballast Point
Dinner - Storytellers

I have to agree with what @Mousertainment said, are you sure you want to do all table service? Especially a breakfast buffet Tuesday and Wednesday morning? 😅 I know I couldn't handle all that good food at the parks, but I totally understand the convenience of having a table so I see the reasoning.

Monday looks great - I'd be happy to swing both in the same day. Monte Cristo for lunch and then Lobster Nachos for dinner? Sign me up.

Storytellers breakfast is really nice, especially with the characters doing a little parade every so often. But I don't know if it's worth going twice - you can get a good breakfast in the parks too! I'd recommend Carnation Cafe but it's not open for reservations til mid-September, I'm afraid. I did really enjoy Pym's Test Kitchen quick service breakfast, it was really cute and the tater tots are great.

I feel like no trip to Disneyland's complete with a classic fried chicken dinner from Plaza Inn, a quick service location. I'd probably substitute Storytellers for Plaza Inn (though I've never had Storytellers dinner so YMMV).

Jefro

I have to agree with what @Mousertainment said, are you sure you want to do all table service? Especially a breakfast buffet Tuesday and Wednesday morning? 😅 I know I couldn't handle all that good food at the parks, but I totally understand the convenience of having a table so I see the reasoning.

Monday looks great - I'd be happy to swing both in the same day. Monte Cristo for lunch and then Lobster Nachos for dinner? Sign me up.

Storytellers breakfast is really nice, especially with the characters doing a little parade every so often. But I don't know if it's worth going twice - you can get a good breakfast in the parks too! I'd recommend Carnation Cafe but it's not open for reservations til mid-September, I'm afraid. I did really enjoy Pym's Test Kitchen quick service breakfast, it was really cute and the tater tots are great.

I feel like no trip to Disneyland's complete with a classic fried chicken dinner from Plaza Inn, a quick service location. I'd probably substitute Storytellers for Plaza Inn (though I've never had Storytellers dinner so YMMV).
Def. Dropped the second storytellers breakfast (8:15am on the 8.8.21 is now out there if someone is looking 😎)

Appreciate the recommendations!

Jefro

I couldn't manage three table service meals in one day - especially with Storytellers' buffets being selections for two of your three days. Bring your appetites! :) (Note: the characters are there for breakfast and brunch meals, but not dinner, just FYI.)

P.S. I'd choose Black Tap over Ballast Point personally, but I don't drink and I do dessert :) so that's why Black Tap wins for me: for the CrazyShakes!

Three in one day wasn't planned 😶, just stumbled on a lunch res for the lounge and couldn't resist and it allowed us to pick up a last minute spot at Napa Rose, which we have walked by a ton staying DVC at GC but never been. Might just stick to pupus at lunch in light of that 🤔

Dropped the 2nd breakfast - good call. I'll check into Black Tap. For some reason we have never been. I think that's a Open Table reservation.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Three in one day wasn't planned 😶, just stumbled on a lunch res for the lounge and couldn't resist and it allowed us to pick up a last minute spot at Napa Rose, which we have walked by a ton staying DVC at GC but never been. Might just stick to pupus at lunch in light of that 🤔

Dropped the 2nd breakfast - good call. I'll check into Black Tap. For some reason we have never been. I think that's a Open Table reservation.
I'm not sure Black Tap does reservations? I've always just stood in line there for a table. (Okay, mostly I stand outside the to-go CrazyShake window to get a CrazyShake, but have eaten inside, too!)

I've only eaten at Napa Rose once - I know people who love it, but honestly to me it's one of those 'big prices, small portions' places which is great for foodies, but not for eaters if that makes sense? :) I've no objection to splurging on a nice meal but I like portion more than presentation, so I would pick a buffet with a ton of choices I like vs. a small beautifully plated and prepared entree for same/more. Again, just personal preference and I respect those for whom the opposite is true who wouldn't touch a buffet if they were paid and expect a high level of presentation when ordering a meal.

Jefro

I'm not sure Black Tap does reservations? I've always just stood in line there for a table. (Okay, mostly I stand outside the to-go CrazyShake window to get a CrazyShake, but have eaten inside, too!)

I've only eaten at Napa Rose once - I know people who love it, but honestly to me it's one of those 'big prices, small portions' places which is great for foodies, but not for eaters if that makes sense? :) I've no objection to splurging on a nice meal but I like portion more than presentation, so I would pick a buffet with a ton of choices I like vs. a small beautifully plated and prepared entree for same/more. Again, just personal preference and I respect those for whom the opposite is true who wouldn't touch a buffet if they were paid and expect a high level of presentation when ordering a meal.
With Napa, that was a concern for sure and that totally makes sense. It was one of the reasons I didn't have it on our list originally. Same deal, a res popped up at 5:30, so I figured why not? It's good to hear that confirmed so we can plan on hitting an extra scoop of ice cream at Salt & Straw afterwords 😀 I have a feeling we are going to go easy there because of that option - not planning on high dollar spending on small steaks kind of thing. Wanted to go once just to have done it.

Yep. Black Tap is definitely not reservations friendly. Looks like it is consider a quick service restaurant or something. We will have to swing by and see if that is actually the case 😂

CaptinEO

Monday:
Lunch - Cafe Orleans
Tuesday:
Breakfast - Storytellers
Lunch - Lamplight
Dinner - Napa Rose
Wednesday:
Breakfast - Nothing planned yet
Lunch - Ballast Point
Dinner - Storytellers

Youre gonna be so full unless you split entrees or just get desert at some places.

Take out Storytellers both those days. It's a buffet and not doable with two other sitdown restaraunts.

Cafe Orleans will be great. Any reason you're doing Lamplight twice vs going somewhere new?

MarvelCharacterNerd

Yep. Black Tap is definitely not reservations friendly. Looks like it is consider a quick service restaurant or something. We will have to swing by and see if that is actually the case 😂
I haven't eaten in there since pre-pandemic - just had take out at the shake window, but yes, as I recall it was this weird hybrid thing where you order at the front counter (and prepay your tip) and then get assigned a table and someone brings your food out to you when it's ready. I thought it odd but the food is good, if on the higher end pricing for what it is, so... okay.

Their fried mozz was heaven but I think that's still off the menu and replaced with fried pickles, which are probably quite good, too. And the burger there was tasty, if not large.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Never been. Looks like it might be a broader menu than Cafe Orleans. Will have to search it out. Any tips or ideas on what it is like during CoVid?
Jumping in here - I haven't been since reopening but French Market is basically a cafeteria-style take your food on a tray and eat at a table outside quick service vs. sit down table service at Cafe Orleans. Totally different style of eating. You go to Cafe Orleans for the Monte Cristo and pomme frittes as a destination meal. You eat at French Market because it's convenient easy eating and decent food. Or skip both and grab a warm fresh bag of beignets from the Mint Julep Bar or soup in a bread bowl at Royal Street Veranda. New Orleans Square is an embarassment of riches when it comes to food at the park. :)

Princess Leia

Well, I was in the queue system for 2 hours waiting for Trader Sam’s… and it’s not available yet. The list goes from Storytellers to Tortilla Jo’s. I don’t know if I refresh or leave or what.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom