Dining plan changes to KILL Free Dining???

DisneyMusician2

OK, I'll get raked over the coals.

I don't have a problem making the reservations in advance. I like knowing and choosing where I'm going to eat far ahead of a trip.

And I don't see a problem with all of the ADR's that are taken with or without the free dining or dining plan. As someone who eats in New York frequently, it is almost impossible to sit down without really advanced reservations.

I just don't believe the point of the restaurants is to cater to local customers, but rather the tourists coming in for trips out-of-state. I know this view will make me unpopular, but it is my gut reaction every time I hear this debate.

Let the bashing begin....:hammer:

DisneyMusician2

Ok, I have been seeing a lot of stuff flying around the forum lately about changing the gratuity of the dining plans, etc.

Is this only for the FREE dining offers or is it for all "plus dining plans"

My family and I almost never go during the times when free dining is offered. We generally go during holidays so they don't have to offer it.

I'm going to be honest. Taking away the gratuity in the "Magic Your Way Plus Dining" Plan without dropping the price of the plan is a big hit to me. I liken the dining plan to a cruise where there is an "all inclusive" plan. To have to spring for the tip now would be a hassle, not to mention cut into my spending money.

Now, if the removal of gratuity from the dining plan is only for dining plans under the FREE dining plan promotion...I will breathe a little easier. But if its for all dining plans, that may be trouble.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks,

Johnny

No, it is all dining plans.

On the other hand, the price did not go up with inflation (the normal 2-5%). So really if they kept the gratuity and appetizer in, you would probably be paying a higher price anyway.

Not that I am at all happy about the changes, but it is something to consider.

brianhorn

I would agree, this would apply to Boston as well. I don't see the big deal of having to make reservations in advance. Surely with all the restaurants at WDW one would be available that is convenient.

RedBaron

I cannot logically see the Free Dining happening again under the new plan -- if the changes occur. From all sides it sounds like a LOAD of trouble just waiting to happen.

Free dining where you are then required to tip hundreds of dollars out of pocket probably wouldn't sit well with guests. On the flip side, would free dining guests give a hoot about tipping? I doubt it. I'm sure that would mean much more "stiffing" in record numbers for servers.

So if the changes take place -- FARWELL FREE DINING -- WE HARDLY KNEW YOU.

:zipit: :cry: :mad: :(
Im sorry but this logic seems silly. I am going to be at WDW and enjoying the free dining plan for the first time and have already planned to leave a tip for the servers just because I feel it is the right thing to do (unless for some reason they are rude to me and then since I don't have to I wont). So with your logic, if someone said "your meal will be free, just pay for the tip" you would say "no thank you, I would rather pay for my meal and then a tip to boot"? :shrug: I am also sure that the poor servers get stiffed with tips all the time. I will not pretend to be an expert, but in some foreign countries I have been to, you don't tip, period. If you leave a few coins on the table that is totally up to you and not expected. It is possible that if some people are not used to our customs they just might not know?

I am also sure that the poor servers get stiffed with tips all the time.

As the dining plan stands now, servers CAN'T be stiffed on tips, as it is INCLUDED in the plan. That is, 15% or whatever Disney has determined to be the appropriate rate is paid to the server. If the guests by alcohol, servers are not getting stiffed, because you don't generally tip on alcohol.

When the new plan starts, watch how many servers get stiffed. Believe me, there are people within the U.S. that don't believe in giving tips. Its not just from other countries. To me, its plain ignorance and poor manners not to tip a waiter. Of course, if the service was poor, then you leave very little or no tip. But I have seen waiters bust their butts and still get no tip from some people.

Anyhow, the only good things about yanking the tip from the dining plan is that 1) the price is going down (however small) and its not going up with inflation and 2) servers at Disney will now have to earn a tip instead of giving poor service and getting the tip anyway (This is not saying that all servers are bad. I can safely say that I rarely have a bad server in Disney, but the bad servers are going to get weeded out because their salary will go down because of their bad attitude or poor service.).

P.S. Thanks for clearing up my understanding of the changes!

Computer Magic

First, some type of dinning plan has been around since at least 2000. This plan offered more then food, it was called Silver. The plan changed in 2005 to include Counter Service and snacks and only offered food. No more cool
souvenirs to enjoy:(

Saying that, I don't see Disney doing away with the dinning plan. I hope they are forced to change it, but it is a good value for many.

If anyone has read my post, I'm not a fan of the increased price. However, for me it would still be a good plan. One of the main reason we go is to have good sit down dinners.

So I'll and complain but in the end pay the 18% increase. Which is what Disney wants. Maybe my Disney Stocks will increase 18% :lookaroun

Lucky

OK, I'll get raked over the coals.

I don't have a problem making the reservations in advance. I like knowing and choosing where I'm going to eat far ahead of a trip.

And I don't see a problem with all of the ADR's that are taken with or without the free dining or dining plan. As someone who eats in New York frequently, it is almost impossible to sit down without really advanced reservations.

I just don't believe the point of the restaurants is to cater to local customers, but rather the tourists coming in for trips out-of-state. I know this view will make me unpopular, but it is my gut reaction every time I hear this debate.

Let the bashing begin....:hammer:
I basically agree, so am happy to join you as a bashee.

Ausdaddy

Anyhow, the only good things about yanking the tip from the dining plan is that 1) the price is going down (however small) and its not going up with inflation and 2) servers at Disney will now have to earn a tip instead of giving poor service and getting the tip anyway (This is not saying that all servers are bad. I can safely say that I rarely have a bad server in Disney, but the bad servers are going to get weeded out because their salary will go down because of their bad attitude or poor service.).

Really? Removing appetizers (~ $6) and an 18% charge in exchange for a $1 price drop is not increasing prices to keep up with inflation? I disagree. I would say, they are a number of years ahead of inflation now.

RedBaron

As the dining plan stands now, servers CAN'T be stiffed on tips, as it is INCLUDED in the plan. That is, 15% or whatever Disney has determined to be the appropriate rate is paid to the server. If the guests by alcohol, servers are not getting stiffed, because you don't generally tip on alcohol.

When the new plan starts, watch how many servers get stiffed. Believe me, there are people within the U.S. that don't believe in giving tips. Its not just from other countries. To me, its plain ignorance and poor manners not to tip a waiter. Of course, if the service was poor, then you leave very little or no tip. But I have seen waiters bust their butts and still get no tip from some people.

I stand corrected, you are right, the tip is included in the plan as is. I guess since I am paying nothing for my food that I would leave some money behind as an extra thank you for good service. Im sure loads of Americans dont tip either. Even though I always do leave my 15%-20% behind, it does drive me nuts. I wish the servers were just paid properly so I did not have to pay their wage.

DisneyJoe

First, some type of dining plan has been around since at least 2000.

When I visited in 1997 and 1999, it was called something like the Food and Fun plan.

For each night of your stay, each adult paid $50 per night, and received a value or $55 per night, each child paid $20 per night, and received a value of $25. A dollar total was registered on your KTTW card. You could use it just about anywhere, and you could also use it for recreation, such as water mice.

Whatever you didn't spend, you lost.

In 1997, my parents joined us for our last 2 days of our 8 day trip, and we treated them to a very nice Liberty Tree Tavern dinner - we even got souvenir mugs. If it hadn't been for that dinner, we would have had over $200 remaining on our plan.

In 1999, my son was older and was able to eat more, and we also made better use of the recreation options. We ended the trip with a $75 credit, which my wife used part of to purchase bags of cookies, etc for the flight home.

I don't recall if gratuity was included - if I had to bet, I would bet that it was.

I believe the Silver, Gold and Platinum plan add-ons were introduced in 2000....

-Joe

Really? Removing appetizers (~ $6) and an 18% charge in exchange for a $1 price drop is not increasing prices to keep up with inflation? I disagree. I would say, they are a number of years ahead of inflation now.

I stand corrected. As I said in my first post, I was not really up to speed on the proposed changes. To say the lease, if the appetizers, etc. are removed is disappointing.

Have we received anything official from the company? I'd like to see how it gets spun...

AEfx

Free dining was/is a promotion offered during hurricane season to encourage visitors for the last several years. If you notice, it began one year after the worst hurricane season the area had seen in quite some time.

It's nothing to be "killed" or "saved". It's a promotional tool that Disney has used in the past, is using this year, but I find it rather odd to expect that it is a fixed feature at this point to be "killed".

AEfx

Lucky

Free dining was/is a promotion offered during hurricane season to encourage visitors for the last several years. If you notice, it began one year after the worst hurricane season the area had seen in quite some time.

It's nothing to be "killed" or "saved". It's a promotional tool that Disney has used in the past, is using this year, but I find it rather odd to expect that it is a fixed feature at this point to be "killed".

AEfx
Personally I'm rooting against the hurricanes, even if it "kills" free dining.

3fordisney

I just got back from WDW about a month ago and didn't participate in the dining plan. I overheard servers talking with guests about how many full services meals they have left and how many counter service meals. Too complicated for me :) When I want to eat, I will eat whether it's at Cosmic Ray's or the 50's Prime Time and if a Dole Whip is calling out my name, then I'm answering the call :D I don't want to have to try and figure out how many snacks I have left and what constitutes a snack (and I was behind a guy on line at Captain Cooks who couldn't figure that out!) Just gimme the food :D

Amen!! I agree with you completely. We have never had the dining plan. We don't want the hassel of scheduling a TS meal that will take us away from time spent on rides. On vacation, especially at WDW, we eat whenever we feel like it. We tend to snack our way through the day. Not the best nutrition choice, but we are on vacation. We only do 1 character meal and maybe 1 TS meal our entire stay. If they offered a dining plan that consisted of counter service and snacks only, we would probably try that. Otherwise, trying to keep track of how many snacks, TS meals and CS meals are left is just too much work.

MickeyFan77

If the guests by alcohol, servers are not getting stiffed, because you don't generally tip on alcohol.

What you don't tip when you get alcohol, you tip based just on food? As a Server I am confused by this, and it is not right. Maybe I am reading your response wrong. Even when you go to a bar you tip right?

RiversideBunny

AEfx

Thanks. I've always wondered why they offered free DDP at that time of the year when the crowd levels should have been OK (for Disney profits) anyway.

:)

NadieMasK2

We don't use any dining plan because we sometimes like to be spontaneous, and it is too much food after trekking around in the Florida sun all day. I agree I would like to see it go away for good, and open up more ADR's.

(it's dining, not dinning. Had to say it, it was bugging me, 'cause I'm ANALytical like that. :lol: )

Thurp

If the guests by alcohol, servers are not getting stiffed, because you don't generally tip on alcohol.

Eeek. When the bar is full, do you get helped quickly or are other orders prepared first? Are your drinks strong? Do you ever get free drinks from the bartender?

As someone whose significant other is a bartender, I can assure you that bartenders also earn a reduced wage and depend on tips to live. Just like servers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom