Dining plan changes to KILL Free Dining???

Mr.Stitch

Tipping....

I would depend upon the age of the children in the family - over 10 pays adult rate. If the two kids are 10 or less then the meal would probably be around $100 (again it depends upon where you're eating).

The customary rate for tipping is usually 15% - why would you state 18%??

I'm not above giving more if the service warrants it, but most people probably don't even tip the customary 15% on a meal.

ToTBellHop

Tipping....

I would depend upon the age of the children in the family - over 10 pays adult rate. If the two kids are 10 or less then the meal would probably be around $100 (again it depends upon where you're eating).

I'm not above giving more if the service warrants it, but most people probably don't even tip the customary 15% on a meal.
really? The typical person must be pretty cheap. I'm a poor college student and my benchmark is always about 20%. People making $3.40 an hour deserve nice tips if service is good, which it generally is at WDW.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Tipping....

Do I really have to answer this? I'll go ahead an let you figure it out on your own. If you can't in 24 hours -- ask again. :ROFLOL:

ImaYoyo

hm... lets see. Someone offers me the ability to get free food and I just pay the tip, or I pay for my own food AND my own tip...

I'll take the free dining please.

Also, someone mentioned they know servers that hate the dining plan? What servers are those?!?!?!? DW is an RGSM at Captain Jacks and mentions how much her servers LOVE the DDP. It's a guarunteed tip AND the higher they can get the bill (free on the guests' behalf, mind you) the higher their tip will be. So they get happy guests (because they're eating 'free', trying new things, feeling valued).

And we all know it's true, no matter where you work. If the guests you're serving are happy, that makes your day go a whole lot better.

But that's just my buck twenty-five.

NOW, how do I feel about the new dining plans? I'm not so sure yet. Since I've only ever used the dining plan in conjunction with a special Cast offer, I've never payed face value. But I can still see getting face value out of it, however requiring a bit of planning to do so. I can EASILY spend over 37 dollars (not including tip) for a quick service and a table service, not to mention the snack. But that's me and not everyone eats the same things I do. So, If I were a salad eater, would I get the DDP? Probably not. But me being the meat eater I am, you bet!

ImaYoyo

Do I really have to answer this? I'll go ahead an let you figure it out on your own. If you can't in 24 hours -- ask again. :ROFLOL:
I don't think 15% has been the average for at least 2 years. Besides, unless I receive bad service, I'm usually tiping 20-25%.:shrug:

PotteryGal

Tipping....

When tipping was included on the dining plan, it was an 18% gratuity. We honestly didn't notice any poor service because of the dining plan. Everyone was wonderful at every restaurant we were at. My only problem is the limited options for children - my five year old is very picky about what he eats, so we usually choose buffets for our table service. I really don't know if we would get the DDP again - having a sit down meal is nice everyday, but we may just end up renting a condo/townhome offsite and preparing most of our meals there. That way we would only need to snack or grab a counter service meal when we're at the parks. We are going to be onsite this fall and we are going to give the dining plan another try. We'll see what happens. :shrug:

Nemo14

All I can say is that here is no such thing as "free dining", anymore than the DME is a "free" service. All these costs have been incorporated into the inflated prices they charge for hotels, park tickets,etc. Maybe you're not laying down that money on the table, but it certainly isn't "free".

RiversideBunny

The Disney Dining Plan is offered 'free' only for a certain time and only for a certain number of people.
The great majority of guests who currently use the DDP do pay for it.
Comparision between the current DDP and the changes for 2008 should be done on the basis of a guest who is buying the plan and not getting it for free.

It's hard to argue against free food, of course.
The majority of guests, though, have not been getting free food.

I would rather see WDW use room discounts or upgrades, etc., for promoting attendance rather than 'free' food.

:)

JimboJones123

Original Poster
When tipping was included on the dining plan, it was an 18% gratuity. We honestly didn't notice any poor service because of the dining plan. Everyone was wonderful at every restaurant we were at. My only problem is the limited options for children - my five year old is very picky about what he eats, so we usually choose buffets for our table service. I really don't know if we would get the DDP again - having a sit down meal is nice everyday, but we may just end up renting a condo/townhome offsite and preparing most of our meals there. That way we would only need to snack or grab a counter service meal when we're at the parks. We are going to be onsite this fall and we are going to give the dining plan another try. We'll see what happens. :shrug:
Shhhh -- you'll give away the answer...

PotteryGal

Shhhh -- you'll give away the answer...

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: Still, I wonder how many people that sign up for dining read the fine print. It's enough for most people to have everything paid for ahead of time. Having to tip now will require a little more thought. And hopefully, most people will remember to be thoughtful. :animwink:

Nemo14

The Disney Dining Plan is offered 'free' only for a certain time and only for a certain number of people.
The great majority of guests who currently use the DDP do pay for it.
Comparision between the current DDP and the changes for 2008 should be done on the basis of a guest who is buying the plan and not getting it for free.

It's hard to argue against free food, of course.
The majority of guests, though, have not been getting free food.

I would rather see WDW use room discounts or upgrades, etc., for promoting attendance rather than 'free' food.

I am very familiar with the dining plan, and I stand by my previous statement. Whether called free or whatever, every resort guest is paying for that through the inflated prices they charge. Disney does not offer it as a "free" service at certain times of year because they feel sorry for anyone - rest assured they are not losing money on it. The only people losing money are the rest of us who so willingly open our wallets there.

*steps off soapbox*

JimboJones123

Original Poster
All I can say is that here is no such thing as "free dining", anymore than the DME is a "free" service. All these costs have been incorporated into the inflated prices they charge for hotels, park tickets,etc. Maybe you're not laying down that money on the table, but it certainly isn't "free".

I'm sure everybody is aware of how the concept works. If you get any kind of discount -- it is made up from somewhere. If you want to pretend it's free lodging -- go ahead. You could think of it as free park tickets as well. Or you can take the total of the two and divide it by 3. If you stay at a value -- Dining/Tix/Room are all around = to eachother. The free flushes of the toilet cost you something as well. As do the "free water" and the paved roads. Did you also know that your WDW dollars also go to removing gum from the bottom of tables and replacing loose nails in the WDW Boardwalk? Thanks for the obvious though.

Lucky

I think this may be a sure bet they will run FREE dining again next year - why?? Because they have cut the fat (pardon the pun) - made the person pay for the apps & tip.
Right, because the changes reduce the cost of what they're giving away, and will turn tables faster. I still wouldn't call it a "sure bet" though.

disneytopdog

just my 2 cents....

Has anyone been on a cruise....the dining is included in what you pay for your entire cruise. You still have to tip the the head waiter, the asst waiter, bar tenders and housekeeping. So whats the difference.

erasure fan1

We honestly didn't notice any poor service because of the dining plan. Everyone was wonderful at every restaurant we were at. My only problem is the limited options for children - my five year old is very picky about what he eats,
I agree with the kids options, it was hard for us too. As far as poor service, We had the worst service by far this trip. Not all the servers were bad, some did a great job like at the 50s PTC. 4 meals were bad 1 was passable the other was good. For the most part I think if someone has to work for the money they will do a better job. maybe we got 4 people all having bad days I dont know. But we never had that on any other visits.

Lee

Adventurer
Just to butt in and say:

HATE the dining plan, in pretty much all it's incarnations. Clogs up the restaurants for those of us who just pop in for a day. I say get rid of it completely.

DisneyJoe

Tourism is up so much, that even if you removed the dining plan completely (which I doubt will happen - they just introduced a second plan!) - the restaurants would still be full!

Time to adjust the mindset that Disney has a slow time anymore - its going to be busy most of the year now.

RiversideBunny

Tourism is up so much, that even if you removed the dining plan completely (which I doubt will happen - they just introduced a second plan!) - the restaurants would still be full!

Time to adjust the mindset that Disney has a slow time anymore - its going to be busy most of the year now.

Important point. Makes you wonder why they need to offer any promotion during the summer months, or around holidays.
They are just putting gasoline on a fire.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom