Digital Camera/ No Laptop???

Hi! This may be a REALLY stupid question, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case there's something I don't know. :confused:

I have a digital camera, but no laptop to download my pictures on nightly while I'm in WDW. I was just wondering if I'll need to buy lots of memory cards for my trip or is there another option that I'm overlooking? Maybe a way to download to a CD at WDW or something?

Thank you for any advice you might have!!!​

Moustronaut

Thank you all for your responses! I'll get a 2BG card, and take my other smaller ones as back up. It's my 3yr DD first trip, so I know I'll be taking tons!

And that story about losing a week of pictures is just awful- my worst nightmare!!

Thanks again!!

Are you going to have a car while down there? WalMart has 2gig SanDisk SD cards for $15.99. If you run out of space, can always go buy another card.

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

Memory cards are pretty cheap now. I have two 1gb and a 256mb that I always take with me. Also there is a product I just read an article on called a Eye-Fi.. seems pretty interesting

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Dont get the cheap no name memory cards. I have had some fail on me as well as several people i know.

Which ones would be the "cheap no name" memory cards? I just bought a 2-pack of 2GB ScanDisk SD (I think that was the brand name) for my mother and my friend. I have a PNY Technologies SD currently in my own camera. And starting this weekend at Future Shop they have 2GB Kingston SD on for $9.99 (I thinking about picking one up). Are any of these brands considered to be "no good"?

Upvote 0

MissM

Which ones would be the "cheap no name" memory cards? I just bought a 2-pack of 2GB ScanDisk SD (I think that was the brand name) for my mother and my friend. I have a PNY Technologies SD currently in my own camera. And starting this weekend at Future Shop they have 2GB Kingston SD on for $9.99 (I thinking about picking one up). Are any of these brands considered to be "no good"?
Sandisk is the company who invented the technology. So they're always first choice. PNY is eh for me. I had one and it was SO SLOW to write on the card it took twice as long as the Sandisk inbetween shots. Kingston is a cheapie brand. Generally your savings on the really inexpensive brands aren't worth the instability of the cards and/or the short life of one.
-m

Upvote 0

Capt. Salty

I know you mean well, but that statement is a little open ended. It's best for each person to check the capacity based on their camera. For my 10MP camera, a 2Gb card only holds about 350 - 400 pictures. I took about 800 on our last trip of 10 days. Granted, I could have deleted some, but I'd rather do that later after they are safely downloaded to a computer. ;)

Here's a link with a nice table of average pictures for camera / memory card sizes.
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13067/edOid/105545/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do#Capacities
I have an 8mp camera, and I normally take 700-1000 pics on our trips to wdw. that amount of pics sounds like A LOT, but when you're on a 7 to 13 day trip, and not really "paying attention" to the number of pics you're taking, they rack up. I too dont delete any until safely on a computer. I normally bring 2-2GB cards and a smaller capacity card as back up. sounds like overkill-maybe- but I take pics of everything! Memory cards are now inexpensive. purchase what you think may be too much. chances are you'll be glad you did.
enjoy!

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I have an 8mp camera, and I normally take 700-1000 pics on our trips to wdw. that amount of pics sounds like A LOT, but when you're on a 7 to 13 day trip, and not really "paying attention" to the number of pics you're taking, they rack up. I too dont delete any until safely on a computer. I normally bring 2-2GB cards and a smaller capacity card as back up. sounds like overkill-maybe- but I take pics of everything! Memory cards are now inexpensive. purchase what you think may be too much. chances are you'll be glad you did.
enjoy!

I take a ton of photos too and you are exactly right they do rack up before you realize it. I have a 2 GB and several 1 GB plus I always pack all my old 256mb just to be on the safe side.
Walgreens also has memory cards & batteries pretty reasonable if you run out of space. I stopped in and picked up an extra one for the kids last trip.
Have fun!

Upvote 0

LoriSue

IMHO, I would not spend the extra money on memory cards you probably won't need otherwise. On our engagement trip we did run out of room the second or third day so we went to the camera shop on Main Street, Magic Kingdom and I did put a bunch of pictures on some photo CD's. I think they're more reliable than the cheapie cards anyway. The staff there was really helpful. I hope you get lots of amazing pictures! :wave:

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Kingston is not a cheapy brand.

PNY, Kingston, Sandisk, etc are so cheap now you can use them like floppies basically. Buy them online before you leave and buy the best deal. Never worry...

Upvote 0

Laura

IMHO, I would not spend the extra money on memory cards you probably won't need otherwise. On our engagement trip we did run out of room the second or third day so we went to the camera shop on Main Street, Magic Kingdom and I did put a bunch of pictures on some photo CD's. I think they're more reliable than the cheapie cards anyway. The staff there was really helpful. I hope you get lots of amazing pictures! :wave:

That really makes no sense. If the CD at Disney costs more than the memory card, then why would you pay for the CD? The memory card can be used for years. What good is a CD? :veryconfu

Upvote 0

EpcoTim

Just get the memory. If you really need to go cheap, go to newegg,com and look for a company called Transcend or go to a used site. But you can get 2gb CF cards for about 25 bucks, and thats more room than a CD anyway, plus you have it forever.

Upvote 0

KC82271

I did 8 days in November, took 2,000 pictures, filled up one 1gb and part of the next. Used a 7 MP camera, but set it down to 5.6 most of the time - upped it for Parades and things far away - but loved every picture the camera took.

Upvote 0

MissM

Kingston is not a cheapy brand.
It's not a high quality brand. They're knida renowned for having problems - be it flash cards, hard drives or other. People with years and years in the IT industry will always steer you away from the brand when possible.
-m

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not a high quality brand. They're knida renowned for having problems - be it flash cards, hard drives or other. People with years and years in the IT industry will always steer you away from the brand when possible.
-m

Honestly - I have no idea where you are getting this from. One, they don't make hard drives. Two, they have been a quality memory manufacturer for upwards of 20 years. They are anything but 'generic' or 'cheapo'. They pretty much define the 'stable' brand that is available via retail, or almost any outlet.

As an IT professional and hobbiest - I have no idea where you are getting this from. If anything, the brand is know as being expensive for being the middle of the road. They are not a ultra-performance brand and have never attempted to be so. So some will steer you towards more higher performing cutting edge stuff.

Brands like PNY are the ones who have been fighting to move themselves from a 'B' grade generic to 'A' grade. Kingston over the years has pretty much defined the 'stable' 'safe' buy. Most of their products are lifetime replacement and they have the history to show they will be around.

Anyone trying to run you off from buying Kingston as generic or flakely I'd really question.

Upvote 0

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Before going to WDW in May I bought a 4gb SD card with USB reader online from Amazon for £12, the same card, same packaging at the Currys Digital / Dixons duty free store at London Gatwick airport was £42! plan ahead! don't buy at the airport.

Upvote 0

MissM

Honestly - I have no idea where you are getting this from. One, they don't make hard drives.
You're right. My error. I meant ram. It was late and I was tired so I misspoke.

And where I'm getting it from...? Oh, how about my friend who has three degrees in computer science, is a network engineer who worked on security devices for the US Military or my Love who's been an MIS manager supporting over 700 in-house PC's for over ten years? Both of them avoid the brand for it's lack of durability and it's poor quality.

If you've had success with it, by all means, keep using it. Some people love PNY as well though I find it crap. It's worth the extra dollar or two to buy a Sandisk product in my opinion when buying flash memory since it's their technology and everyone else just leases it from them.
-m

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

I would just get more cards. You know you will be going back to disney again and will run into the same problem again on future visits. Pay now...enjoy later.

Upvote 0

Tink313

I think the sandisk extream III is very good. I bought one a couple of months back and haven't had a problem with it unlike the PNY one I used to use it always said it had a problem and I needed to reformat. I lost alot of pictures with it. :( For me Sandisk is way better. Does any one know if sandisk makes an extream III for a camera that takes only xd.
if not what xd is better?:shrug:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom