Did you see the fight? :(

Shere_Khan

Doing nothing can just as easily create liability and risk, so I simply don't accept the "do nothing because it opens up legal issues argument."

I don't either but unfortunately that is our world today.
Teachers can't even restrain children who are trying to harm others in school for fear of loosing their job or getting a law suit from the parents.
It seems no different in WDW apparently.

CrashNet

Doing nothing can just as easily create liability and risk, so I simply don't accept the "do nothing because it opens up legal issues argument."
I have to accept it as the reason why they don't get involved...I remember very well going over that in Traditions...they discussed it several times.

Do I accept it as the right thing to do? Not really, but as Shere Khan stated, this day in age that is all it would take to bring down a huge lawsuit and PR mess.

janni518

If WDW get's ruined what hope is there for the rest of the world? :cry:

Just one of the many reasons I refuse to line up and wait for parades. If I happen to be there and it's convenient I'll watch but that's it.

Durn shame!:(

Figment82

I had a woman scream at me at MGM today, all because I got a spot at the front to videotape the parade 30 minutes ahead of time, and she showed up 5 minutes beforehand and I wouldn't let her and her bratty child get in front of me. When I politely pointed out that I had gotten there early to ensure myself a good spot, she told me that I was selfish and that it was supposed to be "all about the children." :rolleyes: The child then sat down on top of a poor Japanese woman, and then ended up standing and watching the parade about a foot over the gold safety line. :hammer:

I swear, I can never watch a parade without excessive drama... What is up with some people?

cdunbar

I mean I don't see how people can get away with stuff like this I mean, I for one would have instantly run into a restaurant or a shop or w/e and said look we have a situation out here this woman is assulting a child and you need to get someone out there ASAP and make sure that I took the CM out the door and pointed the person out so they could do the same to security. It just makes me angry as HE (double hockey sticks) that someone would speak to a child like that no matter if they were 6 or 16! :mad:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
If a fight only lasts up to a minute, there is no way security would be able to get there and break it up.

I work in a jail as an officer every day, and it takes 30 seconds to a minute to respond to a fight.

Also, I'm sure that Disney Security is told not to intervene until their numbers are at least even. In a jail, we'll let guys punch on each other until we can pile into a section with at least a 2-1 numbers advantage.

That being said, I absolutely would have jumped in the middle of that fight to try and restrain the person who was the instigator. Of course, I would never recommend it to somebody who doesn't have training in doing so. You can get hurt as bad or worse than the two originally in the fight. Also, if you do get involved, you may have to testify depending on the specifics of the case in order for justice to be served. A lot of those people will not be from the area, and therefore would not want to do so.

Also, I'm not getting involved if I don't have somebody to hold my daughter while I do so. People may have wanted to get involved that couldn't have just because they are there to enjoy themselves with their families. Getting involved in something like this is counterproductive to that purpose.

Just food for thought. If you want an idea on how law enforcement deals with fighters, just watch "inside american jail". It's by the makers of Cops, but with a lot less redneck.

Phonedave

Without reading all the responses in detail, I will tender my two cents. I discussed this on another board (yes, you read correctly) when the fight happend at the teacups.

People do not want to get involved, with anything. Be it a fight in front of them, crime in their town, drugs in their school, whatever. Just ignore it and it will all be somebody elses problem. Mule muffins I say. now if you are truly scared to confront someone, or are protecting your kids for example, that is all well and good. But I for one will get involved, maybe I am just crazy. I don't go looking for fights, I haven't started a fight since grade school, but you can be sure that if someone says to a child what was said in this case I will step in. Most likely because it was a woman and I don't feel like being sued, I would have said my thoughts quite strongly and then when she walked away I would have followed her and pointed her out to the first security person whos path we crossed.

-dave

I know that many people like to utter this mamby pamby horsecrap about "violence is never the answer" or "violence never solves anything" or some other varient of that pathetic drivel. But in the real world, there are times when violence is the only solution. And when some nutjob is physically threatening your child, that is definitely one of those times to whoop the tar out of someone.........
To quote a 10th degree black belt in Bujinkan (ninjutsu, yes a ninja):

The Warrior Creed

by Robert L. Humphrey
(Iwo Jima Marine &
Bujinkan 10th Dan)

Wherever I go,
everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there.

"It's a better life!"

Since I am working towards my black belt in Bujinkan, I have to agree with your statement about the Mamby Pamby horsecrap that goes on. I would not have stood there and watched.....I would have had my wife keep the kids and would have helped out.

Including using tactics of defense with my hands behind my back, which work very well. Then I can use the statement, "I never laid a hand on either on them".........
Defending a child's honor should be at the forefront of the mind. In essence, they are "helpless", until they reach a certain age (depends on the child, etc, etc,etc.....). Things like this should never be said to a child, no matter what........
Let the women fight, maybe. Let the woman talk to child like that......NO WAY......
Just my $.02

This is a very horrible thing and never should have happened and I feel horrible for everyone involved especially the kid and all the other kids and family in the area. These things shouldn't happen in the HPOE.

However, I am siding with the CM's on this one. Theres alot of people saying that they should have done more and that the cast members have stepped in but try seeing it from the Cast Member's point of view. The rule is to call security and not intervene. If these were College Program Cast Members (and I don't know if they were or not) remember that they may be thousands of miles from home and if they had stepped in they would have been immediately terminated and been forced to evacuate their temporary home within 24 hours. That is the policy. Even if these weren't CP's they were dedicated Cast Members who enjoy their job, need their job or probably both so they follow the rules.

I saw a couple fights and felt horrible that the most I could do was call security and then stand back and let these stupid fights go on in view of other guests. I'm a big guy and would have stepped in if it hadn't been against the rules. After the fight is over and you are able to do so, you step in and do whatever you can to help the "victims". But you follow the rules that Disney gives you or you will be packing your bags. In my case that would have been getting back to TX and when your living check to check that is not an easy task.

Again, this was a horrible case probably one of the worst i've heard of due to the child being involved but the CM's did exactly what they should have done and I applaud them for doing their jobs.

TOTGuy

If WDW get's ruined what hope is there for the rest of the world? :cry:

Just one of the many reasons I refuse to line up and wait for parades. If I happen to be there and it's convenient I'll watch but that's it.

Durn shame!:(

This may just be my personal preference but I would never take the time out of my fairly short vacation or day off to arrive early to watch a bunch of floats go by. I am much more interested in the attractions. But once again I think there are some people who really should not go to disney world. When I told someone that they HAD to park their stroller they simply said "No" and walked right past me. Then I said "Perhaps you misunderstood me, strollers are not permitted in the building". Then he said "You are going to have to go through me to get this stroller, and I bet I can kick your @$$" and I said "OK" and called security. Easy as that problem solved. Disney security will always have my vote as they have saved my butt a number of times.

mousebymarriage

I think most people know right from wrong and you don't need to be paid do the right thing. That being said, I'm sure glad somebody had the bravery and smarts to step in and do the right thing.

I really wish that the WDW staff/cast members had more ability to remove troubled people from the park. Not just for the people who have been victimized but for their children (if applicable) and the people who could be victimized.

As an example: I once witnessed a Man, open palm slap his wife in front of their 4 children on the PotC, I pointed the man out and asked him to stay with the CM but the CM said they couldn't help me.... I don't want help for me, I want it for the poor woman and their children. They are the ones that need help...

I guess common sense isn't so common anymore...
I would have slapped the ____*t out of that guy! How dare he lay a hand on his wife, especially in front of their children. Maybe if he got slapped then he would know how it feels! I have absolutely NO tolerance for domestic violence, especially since I grew up in a house like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom