Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

At Disney, seeing kids who are much too old for a stroller riding in them absolutely bugs the snot out of me. On my last trip earlier this month, my brother and I were walking near Tower of Terror at the Hollywood Studios and saw another instance of this...the kids in the stroller had to be 10 or 11 years old. As we passed by the stroller (one of those large, double-wide blue strollers) it completely fell backwards and the kids nailed their domes on the sidewalk...obviously, the stroller tipped because of the kids shifting their weight inside.

Another instance occurred on my last day at the Magic Kingdom earlier this month...we were on the boat dock waiting to head back to the Wilderness Lodge when a guy with his wife and daughter approached the line...the guy yells in the direction of the CM and says "Is this going to a water park? I want to go to a water park!" At first, I thought the guy was just joking around, but the CM explained that the boats at this dock were going to the resorts and to get to a water park he needed to go to a resort and catch a bus...well, the guy wasn't satisfied and continued to yell...on top of that as he was standing there, the CM pointed out that he couldn't take the stroller that he rented from the Magic Kingdom back to his resort, which really ticked off the odd man. I just don't understand how some people can choose not to follow signs and instructions, and still blame others for their ignorance.

A pretty humerous memory of mine included my Mom during one of our first trips to Disney...it was 1997, the year that WDW turned 25, and you could get a customized name tag that looked similar to a CM's tag. Well, we were at the Carousel of Progress and my Mom approached a guy who was standing at the very front of the line wearing one of those tags that "looked" like a CM's...she began asking questions about the show and the guy was just shrugging his shoulders...my Mom, who now laughs about this situation, responded by saying,"Well, thanks for your help," in a sarcastic manner, and the guy and his party looked extremely puzzled and confused...when my Mom came back to where we were standing we explained the situation and she felt bad....it was still really funny to see her do that!

the-reason14

OK Maybe it is just me but why do people expect mother to FEED their children in the BATHROOM? I mean what would you say if the kid was eating someone other than breast milk in the bathroom? Say, a hamburger? I mean really!

It probably would have been better if she had whipped out a blanket or towel to cover her chest and the baby. Thats what Ive seen some women do.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That's got to be the rudest, most unnecessary post of the week.

And I didnt make it
surprised-019.gif

*TXWDWFAN*

BUMP!!
This thread needs to get back on subject or it needs to be deleted. Everyones opinions are different on breastfeeding. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. This thread is not about breastfeeding, it's about things you see happening at WDW.

khelinski

Saw a male adult ______ on the railings in American Adventure. Full day-light, and well, if you were looking hard enough, you can see the whole package deal. This was during Food and Wine, mind you!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
BUMP!!
This thread needs to get back on subject or it needs to be deleted. Everyones opinions are different on breastfeeding. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. This thread is not about breastfeeding, it's about things you see happening at WDW.

Who appointed you thread police?

pjulie75

Well this year in Disneyland Paris, I was so annoyed with Daisy Duck (I never thought I would say that line - he he)!! Generally in Paris, it is basically a free for all to try and get your pictures taken with the characters unless it is say Mickey. My twins who were 4 patiently waited waited and waited while everyone else pushed and bumped into them to get there autographs books signed and pictures taken. Who cares about the young kids who can't really compete with pushy adults!!! She clearly seen us as she gestured a few times, in a second, as did the CM and just decided to leave!! She is(or was) their favourite and the kids ran with autograph books in hand and shouted on her. They even ran up to her and sort of stretched out to her and she brushed them off the left through a Private exit. I do understand they need a break but don't disappoint the kids who have tried to be good mannered and who are truly mesmerised with the experience. She shattered their dreams of meeting her and the ykept asking, why did she just run away?? I don't know, but she was pretty rude:fork: . As they were waiting and didn't just turn up and expect a pic it would have been fantastic if she just took a minute and we could have had a quick snap with her but I have heard that Ducks have no manners:ROFLOL:, Mice are better educated!!

khelinski

BUMP!!

I don't have much of an opinion on that matter, and I do concur on both sides of it - but, as I remember it, Disney doesn't bother anyone that does breast feed. As cast members, the powers-that-be tells us to let them be - so it isn't much of a huge concern.

You are dealing with a public place, and from what I've seen while working there, nothing really surprises me anymore. You are also dealing with a culture clash, with an assortment of different people and their different custums. One may be accustom to something - and they see something entirely different - almost, to the extreme. It can be shocking. But regardless...

Now, you want to know some shocking stuff. People being a little 'intimate' on attractions and in bathrooms. I haven't seen it, but I had heard stories among stories...especially, the haunted mansion. Hmm...

insoc123

Wow! I took almost one week to read this interesting and amusing :ROFLOL: post of all the weird stuff one can see at Disney.

My .02 cents are:

1. It didn't annoy me as I am mostly a live and let live guy in those issues but just thought it was peculiar back in '05 at Magic Kingdom I saw a family: father, mother and three sons (daughter...) in which one of the sons were crossdressed as a girl. He (she) was like 22 and it was clearly a guy but with women clothes and walking and acting feminine in a exaggeratedly way. Anyway...

2. Is just another breastfeeding story and again I am not condemning them but I think my family was short of experiencing a fight at the monorail one December (I think it was back in '07) when this young lady all of a sudden opened her shirt and very visually started breast feeding her son much to his husband dismay. Things started heating up when some guys (19-20 years old at least) started looking at her laughing. The husband (your typical mullet, goatee and caterpillar shoes guy) was about to start a fight with them and even stand up but things never got past that thankfully.

The other things I have experienced unfortunately seems like regular stuff based on what I have read like people getting your way at Iluminations or other parades when you have patiently waited for your place or small children throwing their "dump" in public places without their parents doing anything. :shrug:

DisneyCanadian

My moment at Disney World that I found annoying or frustrating involves the scooter people who get first dibs on the busses.

I don't mind if you have a disability or some sort of disease that prevents you from walking, but pure laziness annoys the heck out of me.

I was waiting in line at the bus waiting area to head back to POP and this guy in his scooter was waiting in the scooter/wheelchair line. So he gets on the bus first, however instead of scooting onto the bus, he gets off picks it up and places it in the designated area.

If you can pick up the scooter, I'm sure you have the ability to walk around in the park all day!

One my embarrassing moments...actually my daughters. We were waiting for a bus to the AK and my daughter didnt look good...I said, we'll hang out and send the rest of the fam on to Ak. She said no, I'm fine. Well, one of the first buses in the morning, extremely crowded, about half way to AK I hear her behind me, tossing up her breakfast. It was bad, but what made it worse is that this was in May when the swine flu breakout got scary.
Now we're this bus full of ppl clammoring to get away from the swine flu kid. the bus driver makes an announcement about the swine flu and how it's not contagious like this, blah, blah...my mother in-law starts yelling about how "her moms a nurse (that would be me) and knows all about the swine flu and this little girl (my 13 year old) doesn't have the swine flu" it was awful.
Then we get to AK and they make us sit on the bus while they call the medics to clear my daughter for continuing our vacation at disney. They came on the bus and verified she was dehydrated, motion sickness, no temperature (which I already explained to the bus driver). They cleared us, she and I went back to our room and the fam went on to AK...my poor teenager was mortified. Luckily, we got her hydrated and cooled off...she was fine and we continued on with the vacation!
It's hard to convince a 13 year old that this kind of thing happens...don't sweat it. she felt so bad, she kept apologizing to the bus driver because she knew he was gonna have to clean it up. He was real nice to her about the whole thing...other than stirring the swine flu pot. lol

goreesha

Years ago (circa 1986), when the skyway was around, some dude passing overhead hocked a loogie (I'm talking thick and mucusy) that splatted on my dad's arm (short sleeves to boot). Later that same day, my crazy uncle "entertained" us by tossing jelly beans off that very same skyway. I use the word "entertain" loosely because mostly we were afraid he was going to get us kicked out the park. Then again, how can people complain about free candy from heaven? Free candy falling from heaven, I tell's ye's! Oh that skyway, how it brought out the dark side of human nature!

eddiemcgarrigle

Last year I was all set for the afternoon parade with my wife and young son (in his pram). We had been in position, right on the kerb, for over forty minutes and where waiting patiently to point out all the characters to my little one. What do you know, two minutes before the parade starts a family of 8 decide to sit on the road, directly in front of my son and block his view.

I politely ask the parents if they could move to allow my son to enjoy the parade that he has patiently waited for. They turn to each other, snigger, and then try to convince me that as they have paid their money for their over-sized brood then it's their privilige as US citizens to see something before a foreigner. Can you say red-neck?

I could feel my blood beginning to boil but before I could reply a CM asked them to move off the road as they would be blocking the parade. They then tried pushing against my son's pram to force me back so that they could sit on the kerb. The CM was great as she saw that I was not going to put up with this nonsense and quickly got security to move them. They complained bitterly that I had stolen their 'patch' but gave it up when the CM informed them that she had witnessed their arrival and subsequent behaviour. One of the best CM's at WDW and I didn't even get her name, I could have kissed her.

If the CM had not acted quickly I dread to think of what may have happened. I am very protective of my son and these idiots where frightening him, I was very, very close to losing it.

EnchantedRose

We were in our last day at Magic Kingdom and wanted to watch SpectroMagic. We found a PERFECT spot right on Main Street and sat down. It was myself, hubby & our then 17 month old son. I left then sitting there to go get something to eat. Well...when I came back my husband was looking rather ed off....and I see this man with a huge family TRYING to get not only in front of my husband but my son who was in his stroller. At that point I just positioned his stoller differently and hubby and i were standing. At one point this man was trying to get through the crowd with an INFANT said excuse me about 5 times to this man and he refused to let him through...so I moved...then he has the NERVE to try to get my spot!!! JERK!! Now...I'm from NYC...i encounter the RUDEST ppl everyday on the train/busses etc!! But this dude took the prize! Well I was NOT going to let him take my spot So I stood RIGHT back into my spot while he tried to push me! So I LOUDLY said...if i got pushed ONE more time i was going to flip out! Disney or not! He got the point and moved away an inch...so finally the parade started then he tried to get his entire clan in front of my SON! A CM was walking by at this point and said everyone had to be behind the line...so I politely told him that I was not moving back so that they could get in front of me..i had been standing here way before him...so the CM asked him to move...& the man didn't even LOOK at the CM or move...but his family moved away from me...thank goodness! After he moved...I enjoyed the parade with my family...while he spent most of it trying to get his kids in front of other ppl! Now i know kids get excited for this stuff...but I hate parents who do stuff like this. There was this family behind me who's two kids couldn't see and I told them the kids were more than welcome to sit in front of my stroller to view the parade...& the parents were more than thankful! I have no problem with letting little kids sit in front of me...but it ends with rude adults/parents that think they can just cut you!

headhunter

I am not believing what I read, spanking your child in public with a belt is a crime. She should have been applauded and the child should have been embarrased.

insoc123

Sadly some years ago I came to the conclusion that you just can't be at 100% fun time-magic time at WDW thinking everything is great. Instead one have to expect the unexpected and take for granted that the other fellow will not be as polite and courteous as you are so when this situations at the parades happen instead of having a bad time think: yes, I know that was going to happen.
Funnily enough I have found that the most rude people I have seen in WDW, like those fellows blocking your way on the parades and arguing that they have paid their money to enjoy the show :shrug: that often these people are somehow financially challenged and spending money for the admission tickets seems a lot to them so once they pay for those their mission is to "use and abuse" until the last penny the admission to the park they have bought and no one should be an obstacle to their mission...

Captain Hank

Well, I've got a bit more lighthearted one, but it still caused me to do a double-take. I was backstage at Epcot at the marina behind China filling up a vehicle at the gas pump there. The gas pump is located about 30 yards from where the Illuminations Earth Barge is kept. As I was fueling, the Earth barge was open in its "flower petal" form and going through its show cycle. Suddenly the barge stopped spinning and all of the continents turned blue. Then, what appeared to be an error message flashed on there (hard to read due to the nature of the barge's screens) and the whole thing went dark.

I'm pretty sure I witnessed the Earth barge suffer the Blue Screen of Death.

The secretary in the department I used to work for said that she once saw the Earth barge displaying the Windows XP logo screensaver.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom