DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Cosmic Commando

I like Jim. He's a great storyteller. I refuse to give anyone credit, though, for "breaking" the Frozen story without additional details. Putting out a Maelstrom-to-Frozen rumor was a lazy connect-the-dots, just like Disney's decision to actually put Frozen in Maelstrom.

We've all played the game of "where would this movie fit?" any time a new movie comes out, and Norway was the most likely spot. Whether you think that's in-theme or not is beside the point. We all had the idea in the back of our minds, and it became more concrete over the course of the past year, but Disney still caught everyone off-guard with the announcement, IIRC.

Cosmic Commando

Actually, I wouldn't want to see those sorts of rumors filtered out, they are still an interesting look into the workings of the company. The filter needs to be on rumors that are 100% bogus or are being mis-interpreted.
... or articles that say, "Look! You're getting things... DVC! McMansions! Stop complaining!" I doubt anyone would disagree with me on that point, though, so maybe we don't need to go down that path.

Bolna

Actually, I wouldn't want to see those sorts of rumors filtered out, they are still an interesting look into the workings of the company. The filter needs to be on rumors that are 100% bogus or are being mis-interpreted.

But just as @flynnibus said: the problem is the differentiation between reporting something as: "there is a bluesky project that would be about xyz" and "xyz is going to happen". The first is interesting information. The second is no better than something that is 100% bogus.

Cesar R M

The first Frozen replacing Maelstrom thread on here was started in reference to a Jim Hill rumor and that was back in January. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frozen-ride-replacing-maelstrom.878451/

WDW1974 confirmed it in May when he started his 7th Spirited thread(over 1m views now!!!). Not sure if he also mentioned it earlier than that. Ironically, if you go back to the Frozen/Maelstrom thread from January some people doubted the rumor because it came from Jim Hill and @RSoxNo1 was defending him. Sounds familiar;)
pretty sure it was Pheneix who insisted the makeover first and who confirmed that "its really happening".

Cesar R M

He was also invited over to this site by unkadug I believe to defend his words in person, wherein he promply refused and went on a rather nasty tirade against WDW1974 (also can be found in that thread). He even requested that 74 be banned from this forum, as a trade for him joining and posting. He pretty much instigated all the negativity he got, regardless of his validity as a WDW rumor source.
that makes it sound like it was some serious jealously petty fight between him and wdw1974.

PhotoDave219

You probably can't answer this, but is it not coming soon because it's going to take a long time to build, or because they aren't even going to start for a long time.

I don't know. But… as @Lee has said, they have to go before the board of directors to get the money.

So my gut instinct says both. They have to go get the money from the board and then they have to spread that out over X number fiscal years.

Mike S

I don't know. But… as @Lee has said, they have to go before the board of directors to get the money.

So my gut instinct says both. They have to go get the money from the board and then they have to spread that out over X number fiscal years.
Let's hope the board understands how badly DHS needs the help and it doesn't take too long to get approved.

Cesar R M

I hope staggs and Iger grows some balls and find whatever way to convince the board.
If they did with MM+ and Avatar.. they have a bigger chance now.

SirLink

No, Jim said that they'd be looking at something like Toy Story Playland (B's), Cars Land Lite (presumably a D-ticket version of RSR), possibly the Monster's Inc Door Coaster (probably a D), and Star Wars Land (I've heard anything from a B and an E to a D and an E).

Ok so in 7 years time we will have the next E-ticket since ToT opened in MGM/DHS. Hmm that is kinda bad, there should be more new headline attractions opening in MGM/DHS. Equally that plan sounds pretty MEH.

N.B. To clarify I'm talking about MGM/DHS only.

jt04

TDO did decide the status quo was fine. Hell they still think it is. But it isn't TDO mandating new projects, Burbank is forcing this on them (as they did with New Fantasyland and Avatar). They do not approve these projects or approach the higher ups requesting that they invest in the parks, quite the opposite in fact.

It was always stated that a DHS renovation was happening. It was a question of when, not if. And in what form. Assuming this isn't pushed back once again, the question remaining is what level of ambition this renovation will be. And how long it will take. They can't afford to cheap out here and half it with crippling budget cuts and poor design choices (as they did with New Fantasyland), nor can they afford to drag their feet with building it (again like they did with New Fantasyland and are with Avatar).

As you may have noticed, we ARE getting a cheap overlay for Epcot. :ines up with that notion of cheap overlays and meet and greets. No one knows what's happening at DHS yet besides "something". Something is hardly very descriptive, but there's no reason to assume it's going to be amazing until we actually have some idea of what it entails. Even if it is amazing, it'll still be 15-20 years late (hell that's not even including construction, add an extra 5-10 years onto that by the time it's complete) unless they fast track it and get it done fast. Disney can't just ignore the park's stagnation any longer, especially with Universal seeing blood in the water and aggressively building more rides, hotels, water parks etc. We'll see what Disney can come up with this time. The ball IS in Disney World's hands, it remains to be seen whether they'll score or drop it entirely.

Such cynacism is baseless IMO. You see the same cycle at Disneyland with certain elements of the fan base but in the end the mouse keeps people coming back at near capacity. I guess I am just more optimistic than some here.

RSoxNo1

pretty sure it was Pheneix who insisted the makeover first and who confirmed that "its really happening".
This is why I track this stuff...

May 27, 2014: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 has reported that Imagineer and animator George Scribner confirmed on a Disney Cruise Line ship that Frozen would be retrofitted into the existing Maelstrom attraction.

May 20, 2014: WDWMagic.com user pheneix has indicated that the Frozen project is a real project and that it has been "value engineered".

May 19, 2014: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 reported that he will soon have confirmation on the Frozen project in Epcot.

December 23, 2013: At the end of episode 52 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill mentions that Disney is considering adding characters from Frozen to Maelstrom.

RSoxNo1

Ok so in 7 years time we will have the next E-ticket since ToT opened in MGM/DHS. Hmm that is kinda bad, there should be more new headline attractions opening in MGM/DHS. Equally that plan sounds pretty MEH.

N.B. To clarify I'm talking about MGM/DHS only.
I'd argue that C/D tickets are exactly what that park needs. Add in a GMR refresh and that park could easily be #2 in Orlando after this.

tirian

But this is a problem for anyone who deals in Disney rumors. Things can be very fluid, something he was told may have been 100% true when they told it to him, but then plans changed.
The Rafiki's Planet Watch rumor was true, but not for character M&Gs. The train and Guest-facing areas were going to be closed.

Heck, the Imagination pavilion CMs were being cross-trained last year because the pavilion was going to shut down in January. That didn't happen either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom