DHS ReDo (August 2014)

71jason

I heard somewhere that the problem is that it used to be considered an entertainment job (same pool as Citizens of Hollywood), and now it's an attractions operations job (same as folks who operate Star Tours), or something like that. Does anyone know if that's true?

Not in the sense that they were Equity positions, like CoH. But yes, used to at least be auditions. I suspect TDO got rid of them because it made these too much like Equity positions. I've seen CMs with obvious stage fright or incomprehensible accents try to run the ride and it just makes it painful.

Totally with you on the female gangsters btw (and I'm good friends with two former ones). Undermines every other little detail in the ride.

tl77

I can assure you disney would not purposely shoot themselves in the foot, they will want to maintain a parade option. They might move the gate but there will be one in that area no matter what they do. There are also issues with SR access at night, trash removal, and other seemingly minor details which are actually a big deal. One example is Out Door Foods has all of their refreshment / ice-cream freezers and storage in addition to ice makers behind BLX.

I really don't want to argue with you, and I really don't understand why you keep arguing with me, but the parades are already gone and everything else can be you've mentioned is able to be dealt with. If they really want to keep doing the smaller motorcades those can be rerouted to the exit between the 50's Prime Time Cafe and the Indy Stunt show, and I really don't think they will let ice cream freezers and trash removal stand in the way of expanding Star Wars experiences in their parks.

Any kind of immersive Star Wars themed land would have start in the area around Star Tours/Tatooine Traders, and the huge empty space next to/behind the Star Tours building is just the most practical and logical place to go with it, whether the Backlot Express is demolished to open up that space is anybody's guess if that's what you're original point was

roj2323

I really don't want to argue with you, and I really don't understand why you keep arguing with me, but the parades are already gone and everything else can be you've mentioned is able to be dealt with. If they really want to keep doing the smaller motorcades those can be rerouted to the exit between the 50's Prime Time Cafe and the Indy Stunt show, and I really don't think they will let ice cream freezers and trash removal stand in the way of expanding Star Wars experiences in their parks.

Any kind of immersive Star Wars themed land would have start in the area around Star Tours/Tatooine Traders, and the huge empty space next to/behind the Star Tours building is just the most practical and logical place to go with it, whether the Backlot Express is demolished to open up that space is anybody's guess if that's what you're original point was

I'm arguing with you because it's obvious you know very little about the park and how it operates. I do. There is no gate between 50's primetime and indy and there is not room for one due to structures that are in the way.

While I agree that BLX is the obvious choice for the cantina, realistically they will keep the kitchen and demo everything in front of it. This will save them tons of money and they will still have an enormous area to build the cantina even if they stay within the confines of the old BLX. Additionally there is now talk of filling in Echo lake (per the original post) so with that area, the sounds dangerous / American idol block and ABC commissary which could make a good alternative location for the cantina if they want the BLX space for something else, they have a stupidly large area to play with. Realistically we are talking about an area that's a 1/4 of the park without eliminating the parade route or cutting off the perimeter road.

tl77

I'm arguing with you because it's obvious you know very little about the park and how it operates. I do. There is no gate between 50's primetime and indy and there is not room for one due to structures that are in the way.

While I agree that BLX is the obvious choice for the cantina, realistically they will keep the kitchen and demo everything in front of it. This will save them tons of money and they will still have an enormous area to build the cantina even if they stay within the confines of the old BLX. Additionally there is now talk of filling in Echo lake (per the original post) so with that area, the sounds dangerous / American idol block and ABC commissary which could make a good alternative location for the cantina if they want the BLX space for something else, they have a stupidly large area to play with. Realistically we are talking about an area that's a 1/4 of the park without eliminating the parade route or cutting off the perimeter road.

HAHA!! ok I'm sorry you're clearly the more "realistic" one here

muteki

Just listened to the podcast, and all of this sounds pretty underwhelming, star wars wise.

There was a similar one a year ago regarding starwars and Disneyland that didn't sound much better, but none of that came about either, thankfully.

cjkeating

A few people said that Jim Hill doesn't mention the speeder bikes, I admit it's hard to pay attention for the entire podcast but he does say that due to the commitments to the Indiana Jones stage their will be no speeder bikes as it was to use that site... =/

CinematicFusion

You want immersion in the Star Wars land, you need to copy what they have done at Universal with Potter and immerse the audience into the world of Star Wars. You have to go all in at Disney and create a masterpiece of a world. Like they did with Cars Land, like Universal did with Potter.
Doesn't have to be Tatoonie...but if they do Tatoonie, it must be done right.
These items must be at the park...

1. Main E-Ticket is Espcape from Jabba's Palace...or something from the Hutt family. That is the "Weenie" (a visual icon in a Disney theme park that draws in guest). This would be the story driven dark ride everyone is praying for at Disney.
This ride is screaming to be made. It could have all the elements of a truly amazing dark ride/thrill ride.
Tatoonie doesn't really need to be made if you can't build a Jabba Palace themed ride. I promise you, if Universal was building Star Wars themed Tatoonie...Jabba's Palace is where they would start.
SW4___ROTJ_New_Jabba_Palace_02_by_SWRemixed.jpg

CA_20091218_Tatooine03_full.jpg

2. Shops on tatoonie, some ancient trading post you get to go through, maybe a Jawa trading post.
Animated dewbacks, the empire is still in charge and patrolling the city.
tatooine.jpg

Mos_Eisley.jpg

star_wars___mos_eisley_scene_by_m1llgato5-d5fua69.jpg

3. obviously the Cantina
ITW_Chalmuns_cantina.jpg

4. The Falcon at the spaceport also Xwing spinner can go here.
main.php

X_Wing_MKII___Stolen_Blueprint.jpg

5. Second E-ticket is the PodRace...not the speeder bike, Pod race fits with Tatooine. Need to feel like you
are going 700 mph across amazing Desert landscape.
Mos_Espa_Grand_Arena.png

1100x625_13953_Pod_Racer_3d_sci_fi_vehicle_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

If they don't want to do Tatoonie...I'm cool with that. Then design an outpost on a jungle planet. Keeps with the theme of Star Wars. Maybe an ancient temple turned base like in A New Hope. Themed town surrounding the base. Cool new outpost with shops and restaurants. Again, area has been taken over by the empire. So there is a balance between the locals who live there and the animal and plant life and the Empire and their vehicles.
1. E-ticket would be in the base and be the dueling Empire vs. Rebel roller coaster themed ride. Use what you have learned with seven dwarfs mine train and enhance the roller coaster/dark ride combo. This ride would give you both the myth based story of Star Wars and the speed theme associated with all the films.
3. Need the spinner xwing ride and the Falcon again in the hanger bay.

Anyway...point is there is so much visually appealing things to do with Star Wars.
1. Does Disney go big with Star Wars or does it freak them out to put so much into one IP like Universal did with Potter?
We will find out.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You want immersion in the Star Wars land, you need to copy what they have done at Universal with Potter and immerse the audience into the world of Star Wars. You have to go all in at Disney and create a masterpiece of a world. Like they did with Cars Land, like Universal did with Potter.
Doesn't have to be Tatoonie...but if they do Tatoonie, it must be done right.
These items must be at the park...

1. Main E-Ticket is Espcape from Jabba's Palace...or something from the Hutt family. That is the "Weenie" (a visual icon in a Disney theme park that draws in guest). This would be the story driven dark ride everyone is praying for at Disney.
This ride is screaming to be made. It could have all the elements of a truly amazing dark ride/thrill ride.
SW4___ROTJ_New_Jabba_Palace_02_by_SWRemixed.jpg

CA_20091218_Tatooine03_full.jpg

2. Shops on tatoonie, some ancient trading post you get to go through, maybe a Jawa trading post.
Animated dewbacks, the empire is still in charge and patrolling the city.
tatooine.jpg

Mos_Eisley.jpg

star_wars___mos_eisley_scene_by_m1llgato5-d5fua69.jpg

3. obviously the Cantina
ITW_Chalmuns_cantina.jpg

4. The Falcon at the spaceport also Xwing spinner can go here.
main.php

Star-Wars-Episode-7-X-Wing.jpg

5. Second E-ticket is the PodRace...not the speeder bike, Pod race fits with Tatooine. Need to feel like you
are going 700 mph across amazing Desert landscape.
Mos_Espa_Grand_Arena.png

1100x625_13953_Pod_Racer_3d_sci_fi_vehicle_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

If they don't want to do Tatoonie...I'm cool with that. Then design an outpost on a jungle planet. Keeps with the theme of Star Wars. Maybe an ancient temple turned base like in A New Hope. Themed town surrounding the base. Cool new outpost with shops and restaurants. Again, area has been taken over by the empire. So there is a balance between the locals who live there and the animal and plant life and the Empire and their vehicles.
1. E-ticket would be in the base and be the dueling Empire vs. Rebel roller coaster themed ride. Use what you have learned with seven dwarfs mine train and enhance the roller coaster/dark ride combo. This ride would give you both the myth based story of Star Wars and the speed theme associated with all the films.
3. Need the spinner xwing ride and the Falcon again in the hanger bay.

Anyway...point is there is so much visually appealing things to do with Star Wars.
1. Does Disney go big with Star Wars or does it freak them out to put so much into one IP like Universal did with Potter?
We will find out.

Better put a spoiler tag on one of those photos before you know who sees it.

erasure fan1

I agree. Whatever they do, it has to be huge. You need to walk out of our world and into a galaxy far far away. It must also be iconic. Tatooine is probably the best choice as its in all the films but Empire. I just don't believe you can not go all out on this one.

EPCOTCenterLover

DCA Phase 2? What came of that- what was it supposed to be? Improvements to Hollywoodland, the Pier, and AA's to go in the Grizzly raft ride, I'm guessing. I've seen one piece of concept art - I think.

tl77

So here's a more accurate map for people to get upset about, and remember... the closer something is to the Star Tours Queue, the more likely it is to become part of an eventual Star Wars Land, and the farther away something is from the Star Tours Queue, the less likely Disney will be to spend money on changing it -enjoy

star-wars-land-2.jpg

mahnamahna101

DCA Phase 2? What came of that- what was it supposed to be? Improvements to Hollywoodland, the Pier, and AA's to go in the Grizzly raft ride, I'm guessing. I've seen one piece of concept art - I think.
E ticket for Hollywoodland (either Monstropolis themed or something else)
Muppets replacement
Aladdin replacement
revamped Grizzly Peak (AAs for Grizzly River Run, family-friendly train ride around peak)
new Soarin' ride film
Paradise Pier additions (likely another dark ride, a permanent family coaster to replace GSS, and another flat to make up for Maliboomer)

Also heard Cars Land has room for 2 small attractions (maybe a show and a Jr. Autopia?) while the space between ToT and Cars Land could fit 2-3 attractions.

Pacific Wharf and Bug's Land could both be better utilized as well (a dark ride for either would be great)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom