DHS ReDo (August 2014)

FigmentJedi

That's what they SHOULD do...

What we'll probably get -
  1. X-Wing Spinners (double of course like Dumbo!) - B ticket
  2. Millenium Falcon walkthrough/M&G - C ticket
  3. Mos Eisley Cantina replaces Backlot Express
  4. Tons of shops and an Ewok play area replaces Indy - A ticket
  5. Star Tours stays the same (no facade change, etc)
  6. Jedi Training Academy moves into the Sounds Dangerous/American Idol buildings. - C ticket
  7. No new E-ticket or even a D ticket :(

And some people will still rave about how it's the best thing ever. Gotta protect the BRAND and all that jazz.

And like they did on New Fantasyland, the creative team will channel Lucas's primary yes-man during the prequels as they talk about how all the details assist in telling the story because it's so dense.

PeterAlt

Not really I'm afraid. DHS has always expanded within the land prepared in 1985-9.

Nothing major has been done since opening behind this boundary save for pushing more lanes into the World Drive auto plaza and the extra parking lot up to the existing boundary canal line.
They could realign World Drive slightly west. Because of the longer shape of the property along its western edge, just a minor western realignment would create a lot of expansion room!

They can also do what they did with DLP, building the pedestrian space for Downtown Disney over the road (and the high speed rail tracks).

I would love to see a European-style pedestrian circle over World Drive and LBV Boulevard, creating pedestrian access over the streets to its four corners!

Wags14

I don't know everything that is being proposed, and a lot of what I was told may be VERY blue sky... BUT... after dinner last night.. I was compelled to pick up the check, because I was geeking-out giddy over the prospects..

As far as I can see, Jim Hill isn't 'wrong', but his version of the coming events are either incomplete, or he is underreporting rumor...

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but I *personally* am very excited even if 10% of what I heard was true..

Timeline for the announcement? 1st or 2nd quarter 2015, but that is subject to change. (translation - I really don't know)

Sounds like good news to me.

/happy dance

CDavid

I don't know everything that is being proposed, and a lot of what I was told may be VERY blue sky... BUT... after dinner last night.. I was compelled to pick up the check, because I was geeking-out giddy over the prospects..

As far as I can see, Jim Hill isn't 'wrong', but his version of the coming events are either incomplete, or he is underreporting rumor...

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but I *personally* am very excited even if 10% of what I heard was true..

Timeline for the announcement? 1st or 2nd quarter 2015, but that is subject to change. (translation - I really don't know)

If this turns out to be one of those rare instances (like a stopped clock) and there is some truth to what Jim Hill speaks, there are aspects to the plan that I certainly hope are wrong; The Great Movie Ride being chief among them. Of course, so long as the attraction remains 'safe' for several years, plans tend to change anyway, budgets get cut, and subsequent 'phases' just never happen. I hope.

tl77

When I was there a few months ago, I had a keen eye for where the expansion could be. Without realizing how close New York Street was to Star Tours, I took a mental note that that space would be perfect. Now, seeing it on your map and that it's contiguous to the current Star Wars area, I am now convinced of it!

GREAT MAP, by the way!

Thanks about the map, I did it mainly because I though they could do something fairly decent in that current area. The only other option would be to move Star Tours to another section of the park, which wouldn't be impossible, it is just a bunch of flight simulators in a big black room. If there was ever an e-ticket ride that need to be relocated Star Tours would be the easiest one

PeterAlt

Thanks about the map, I did it mainly because I though they could do something fairly decent in that current area. The only other option would be to move Star Tours to another section of the park, which wouldn't be impossible, it is just a bunch of flight simulators in a big black room. If there was ever an e-ticket ride that need to be relocated Star Tours would be the easiest one
If you Google "Disney Hollywood Studios Expansion" in images search, you will see from the collective rumors over the years that WDI has probably submitted multiple proposals, exploring every possible option. It looks like Iger has let them develop several ways of doing it. I don't know if these are teams of Imagineers competing with one another (Eisner was known to do that), or if these were created in series (one new start after the next after older starts are ultimately rejected). Unfortunately for us, this is done with utmost secrecy, and we will learn the truth if what's really going on years probably after all is built.

I know, for example, in the years prior to Eisner leaving the company, he had two teams of Imagineers competing on a new "mountain" for the MK. One team worked on Fire Mountain (an inverted roller coaster through an erupting volcano for Adventureland that would have been built at the Seven Seas Lagoon incorporating Jungle Cruise into its design and thematically visible at the Polynesian Resort), while another team developed Bald Mountain for Fantasyland (to go where FLE is now). Apparently, Eisner liked both and decided both were going to get built, authorizing further development for both projects. I have no idea why Iger didn't follow through with either project. Any way, my point is Iger could be using the same strategy with Star Wars, having different teams develop competing projects.

PeterAlt

If this turns out to be one of those rare instances (like a stopped clock) and there is some truth to what Jim Hill speaks, there are aspects to the plan that I certainly hope are wrong; The Great Movie Ride being chief among them. Of course, so long as the attraction remains 'safe' for several years, plans tend to change anyway, budgets get cut, and subsequent 'phases' just never happen. I hope.
I agree. I had previously been of the opinion that the GMR needed to be updated with recently released movies. After riding it a few months ago, I changed my mind. The ride is all about nostalgia and should be kept exactly as is.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree. I had previously been of the opinion that the GMR needed to be updated with recently released movies. After riding it a few months ago, I changed my mind. The ride is all about nostalgia and should be kept exactly as is.
Actually the ride is about history...not nostalgia.

PeterAlt

Actually the ride is about history...not nostalgia.
No, it's about riding through scenes of great classic movies. In that respect, recent movies that become classics should be added, such as Avatar, but that's not necessary since it's getting a whole land dedicated to it.

PeterAlt

It's a shame that's all you get from this attraction.
What do you mean by that?

"All I get"????

Seeing the sets and AA figures replicated from Hollywood's most remberable scenes is an amazing experience as is!

For example, Sara (my sister) collected Wizard of Oz stuff as far back as I remember. Seeing her reaction and singing with the munchkins ... priceless!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The harsh reality is that Disneys target demographic of 8 year olds have never seen most of the scenes the ride contains, and the harsh reality is many of the parents wont have either, hell the only reason I know some of the scenes is my grandparents watched the movies on TV when I was a kid. So Ive no difficulty believing Disney would consider axing a labour intensive ride.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What do you mean by that?

"All I get"????

Seeing the sets and AA figures replicated from Hollywood's most remberable scenes is an amazing experience as is!

For example, Sara (my sister) collected Wizard of Oz stuff as far back as I remember. Seeing her reaction and singing with the munchkins ... priceless!
The second time today that I've had to use this:
:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom