DHS Permit

ToTBellHop

Would a Monsters, Inc. land really take up the entire footprint of the Phase 3 plot? It seems like an enormous amount of land. Seems like they could fit at least 2 decent sized lands in.
Yes, it would take up that plot.

image.jpeg
image.png

captainmoch

I could see Monstropolis working. The areas themselves could be based off Mike and Sully's neighborhood (featuring a Harryhausens table service) and Monsters University campus (featuring an MU cafeteria QS), and the centerpiece of the land could be the Monsters Incorporated building, which houses the showbuilding for the Laugh Floor, the Door Coaster, and a Ride and go Seek clone.

Incredibles would make for a great e-ticket, but I'm not sure an entire land would work based off of it. Maybe if the 4th Phase was a generic super hero land that also featured GOTG and BH6, it could work.

doctornick

Incredibles would make for a great e-ticket, but I'm not sure an entire land would work based off of it. Maybe if the 4th Phase was a generic super hero land that also featured GOTG and BH6, it could work.

Yeah, I like the idea of a generic superhero land that could feature those IPs (and potentially other Marvel IPs that end up being available for use in WDW). Or you can go even more generic and make it a "hero" land (stuff like Hercules, Robin Hood) or action/adventure (stuff like Indiana Jones)

dgp602

When it comes to permits and blueprints, I am admittedly clueless. I depend entirely on you guys to sort through and share the info. Kudos to the people on this site. Compared to other similar Disney sites, the info you guys can correctly decipher from these permits is beyond compare!!

So pardon my ignorance, but is this 2 year time line ( start Jan 2016/finish Oct 2018 ) just for site prep and road and wetlands construction, or for the whole DHS transformation?

And I will ask this question: Why not just shutter and close the park while this construction takes place? I get all the 'it's a persons choice to spend the admission if they wish to do so' arguments, but in terms of completing and speeding up construction, having to worry about construction walls and site pictures only seems like a hindrance. You can't expect the construction and demolition within the park to only take place during the nighttime closing hours. This project appears to be almost a complete re-do of everything: road access, parking lots, back stage production areas, transformation of entire lands, removal and relocation of electric and sewer lines, etc. I would argue that never before has a park undergone such a huge transformation while attempting to remain a functioning, working park.

A sincere thanks for the time you spend dissecting this info!!!

Crazydisneyfanluke

When it comes to permits and blueprints, I am admittedly clueless. I depend entirely on you guys to sort through and share the info. Kudos to the people on this site. Compared to other similar Disney sites, the info you guys can correctly decipher from these permits is beyond compare!!

So pardon my ignorance, but is this 2 year time line ( start Jan 2016/finish Oct 2018 ) just for site prep and road and wetlands construction, or for the whole DHS transformation?

And I will ask this question: Why not just shutter and close the park while this construction takes place? I get all the 'it's a persons choice to spend the admission if they wish to do so' arguments, but in terms of completing and speeding up construction, having to worry about construction walls and site pictures only seems like a hindrance. You can't expect the construction and demolition within the park to only take place during the nighttime closing hours. This project appears to be almost a complete re-do of everything: road access, parking lots, back stage production areas, transformation of entire lands, removal and relocation of electric and sewer lines, etc. I would argue that never before has a park undergone such a huge transformation while attempting to remain a functioning, working park.

Also few reasons why, loss of money for disney, thousands of Disney cast members will go unemployed, retraining cast members to reopen the park.
The construction will be an all day process.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The dates are just for the work shown on the permit. This however is not a hard time line. Permits have what could be considered an expiration date on them. If the work is not completed by that date either a new permit must be applied for or an extension granted.

They don't close the park because even though the place is barely half a park right now, people are still lining up to get in. There is no way that Disney is going to turn down that money.

Construction will also still take place during the day, just like we see at Pandora.

Disney's California Adventure received a similar makeover and remained open.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

it would probably cost more to shut down DHS while constructing and reopen later than it would the build all the new construction

dstrawn9889

Just the former. Although, they will have other permits and work going on simultaneously.
Example- Toy Story Land could easily open before this work is completed.
... it depends on when that Stormwater basin is complete, the one across the street, got to have the rainwater route colmplete before any non-porous surfaces are applied (roofing, concrete slabs, asphalt, ETC)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The two year timeline is actually a little tricky in this case. It is only an estimate of when the construction will start and end, and not something that they will be held to. It's also not clear exactly what it applies to. It may be just for the retention pond, it might be for the large project. The end date also is NOT an official expiration date. SFWMD permits actually have very long expirations, well beyond when the project will be complete.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I found another map in the permit that actually shows the new entrance from Victory Way connecting into one of the new sections of land. The two blue areas I have circled are new bridges over the canal. Based on this it looks like the red area on the right side of the picture will be a new toll plaza. You will enter from the road on the right side go through the plaza and then take the top bridge into the parking lot. The lower bridge is probably for an exit since it lines up with the new road that would go in the other direction. Not sure what this means for the current entrance road from the south of the park. There have also been rumors that the current north entrance would become a bus only entrance which makes sense. Also, the red areas in the parking lot which are grassy median will be removed according to the permit.

Capture2.JPG

wdizneew

I found another map in the permit that actually shows the new entrance from Victory Way connecting into one of the new sections of land. The two blue areas I have circled are new bridges over the canal. Based on this it looks like the red area on the right side of the picture will be a new toll plaza. You will enter from the road on the right side go through the plaza and then take the top bridge into the parking lot. The lower bridge is probably for an exit since it lines up with the new road that would go in the other direction. Not sure what this means for the current entrance road from the south of the park. There have also been rumors that the current north entrance would become a bus only entrance which makes sense. Also, the red areas in the parking lot which are grassy median will be removed according to the permit.

Thanks for doing the research and feeding us this information!

The rumors of making the north entrance a bus only entrance has been in consideration for many years now. I'm glad to hear that there is some hope that something is being done. Far too many driving guests are using the north entrance rather than the south entrance and it causes a huge backup of DHS buses. So the next time you're staying on property and haven't seen a DHS bus in a while, it's safe to assume that the bus got stranded in the north entrance plaza (especially during the holidays and Star Wars Weekends).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom