DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

KrazyKat

It takes a special level of geekdom to watch a 2 1/2 minute video of driving to a parking lot.
From the lines to enter the parking lot, it looks like a typical day crowd-wise pre-SWL.
I know what you mean TiggerDad. I was watching the video when a co-worker went by and asked what I was watching. I told him it was the new entrance to DHS. He shook his head and said "you're too into Disney World". Which I replied "why yes, yes I am"!

J. D.

The only thing I did not like was when I arrived, around 6:45-ish, they had the entire toll plaza blocked off. I had to enter the parking lot via a lane to the left of the plaza, an odd decision.
Probably because they stop charging for parking a few hours before park closing.

Dr.GrantSeeker

One thing that I think many have vastly overlooked is that Hollywood Studios is now the only place on Walt Disney World Property where you can come on property, go to the place, and leave property without hitting a stoplight or passing anything else.

Was that intentional, or just coincidence?

YodaMan

Maybe they built this new plaza with a side lane specifically for after they stop charging for parking.

^this. People who aren’t regulars don’t realize they stop charging 2 hours before park close. People get confused when they come up to an empty toll both and try to figure out what’s going on, how they’re supposed to pay, etc. Tourists slow down and stop and back everything up. Its easier to just route them around the tooboth entirely when they don’t have to pay so as to cause less confusion. It’s also safer for the toll booth cast to close up for the night when guests are being directed away from the toll booth.

peter11435

One thing that I think many have vastly overlooked is that Hollywood Studios is now the only place on Walt Disney World Property where you can come on property, go to the place, and leave property without hitting a stoplight or passing anything else.
Once the Osceola parkway overpass is complete you will be able to reach all 4 parks from off property without a single stop light.

brb1006

While I like the new entrance, I wonder if there are any plans to spruce it up with an an entrance similar to the old DHS entrance that had the film strips. Maybe to the side of the road leading up to DHS? I know they just took the old one down.
View attachment 325176
I actually like the new entrance without the film strips. Especially since the pictures are prone to fading.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Those wide shots of the parking lot shows just how much space Disney has for DHS expansion if it needs to, also note that is part of the reason for no parking garages, lots are easy to dig up and build on, garages are a more permanent solution so if we ever do see any at DHS we know Disney will have no plans of expanding in that direction (probably).

Giraffiki

also note that is part of the reason for no parking garages, lots are easy to dig up and build on, garages are a more permanent solution so if we ever do see any at DHS we know Disney will have no plans of expanding in that direction (probably).

That's a good point. I've always wanted a garage at MGM, but I guess I'd take more expansion over a garage

Goofyernmost

That's a good point. I've always wanted a garage at MGM, but I guess I'd take more expansion over a garage
The problem with that theory is the more they expand the larger the need for parking becomes. It's a catch 22. If one offers more to see, more people will come in to see it. More people means more parking. Taking out parking to accommodate and expansion will make a shortage of parking. They could do like it was done in Disney Springs. Do a parking lot length and build a multi-story parking garage toward the entrance side of the current parking lot and both problems would be solved. They would have more expansion and still have sufficient parking.

mm121

Those wide shots of the parking lot shows just how much space Disney has for DHS expansion if it needs to, also note that is part of the reason for no parking garages, lots are easy to dig up and build on, garages are a more permanent solution so if we ever do see any at DHS we know Disney will have no plans of expanding in that direction (probably).
Garages are an option of last resort,

Plus not sure they could fund garages at the parks with bonds from RCID, like at Disney springs since the garages are paid access not public access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom