DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

Thebolt

Presumably most of that mud will become paved entrance plaza, tripling the area after bag checks in front of the gates? That looks like a good improvement easing guest flow in and out.

Any chance they will move the gates forward to give the parks opening plaza a little more elbow room? It is already tight around there.

Mike730

What else do you think it would be?
Honestly, I don't know. It sure looks like a security station, but in my eyes it makes more sense for it to be a wall or something and to have security lined up where that new steal structure starts to curve, parallel to the current checkpoint. Maybe the entire security structure will be both what is there and what I'm envisioning, but that is a HUGE checkpoint compared to what's there now. If all we get is what is currently visible, it seems weird from a crowd flow perspective for guests from resorts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Honestly, I don't know. It sure looks like a security station, but in my eyes it makes more sense for it to be a wall or something and to have security lined up where that new steal structure starts to curve, parallel to the current checkpoint. Maybe the entire security structure will be both what is there and what I'm envisioning, but that is a HUGE checkpoint compared to what's there now. If all we get is what is currently visible, it seems weird from a crowd flow perspective for guests from resorts.
Several sources say its security.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, January 31, 2019. "Gate" number signs are installed at some locations in the new bus terminal cover already.

IMG_0998.JPG

In other locations, fans have been installed for the queue lines. They were all running today, probably to ensure they work.

IMG_0999.JPG

And now, the most boring photo. Traffic direction lines have been painted on the new flush pavement just outside the blue bollards near the Hollywood Studios gondola station.

IMG_1000.JPG

Ground level views of the new security checkpoint structure at the entrance to Hollywood Studios.

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Last edited:

deWild

The park wouldn't expand towards the front.
That would be a logistical nightmare.

There's space to expand almost at every other direction

Where though? The Star Wars hotel encloses the southern boundary, and the highway on the west side. They could potentially (probably going to) blow down the backstage studios structure and build there, and I guess if they wanted they could repurpose Fantasmic’s area.

Timothy_Q

Where though? The Star Wars hotel encloses the southern boundary, and the highway on the west side. They could potentially (probably going to) blow down the backstage studios structure and build there, and I guess if they wanted they could repurpose Fantasmic’s area.
Some possibilities here, if Disney *wanted* to expand

Red seems like the most obvious and needed, IMO.
It could also help tremendously with traffic flow.

Blue seems like it's always being mentioned in the Indy rumors.

Green has been mentioned by Martin that it could fit something better than what currently occupies it

And yellow, in a scenario where Disney has used every other pad, they could theoretically re-purpose part of the cast parking for a new land, using the Grand Ave area as the land's entrance

DHS map.jpg

TP2000

They forgot.

In a nutshell.

That boggles my mind. They seriously forgot, or it got cut on purpose because they thought it wasn't important enough? Or a combination of those two with more of the forgetting than the cutting?

Disneyland just did a major full-court press media event last week where they rolled out TDA Vice Presidents and touted all the stuff they are doing at Disneyland to get ready for Star Wars, with a cutesy name called Project Stardust. Get it? Star Wars plus Pixie Dust? Stardust? :rolleyes:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-star-wars-disneyland-crowds-20190124-story.html

Of course the name Project Stardust only reminded me of the old Las Vegas strip hotel with their famous showgirl revue Lido De Paris. But then that's just me.
Nevada-NV-postcard-Las-Vegas-Stardust-Hotel.jpg

Where was I? Oh yeah, theme parks.

So the brain trust in TDO for the past few years simply "forgot" to get the interior theme park ready for maddening crowds, and instead just worked on the exterior infrastructure to get tens of thousands of additional customers per day to the front gates of DHS with no plan on how to be a good host to them once they got inside? Seriously? Are they that inept, or did someone put something in the air conditioning system at TDO? o_O

Last edited:

jt04

Some possibilities here, if Disney wanted to expand

Red seems like the most obvious and needed, IMO.
It could also help tremendously with traffic flow.

Blue seems like it's always being mentioned in the Indy rumors.

Green has been mentioned by Martin that it could fit something better than what currently occupies it

And yellow, in a scenario where Disney has used every other pad, they could theoretically re-purpose part of the cast parking for a new land, using the Grand Ave area as the land's entrance

View attachment 346604

Can that round swamp looking area in the top left be used? Seems like a rather large expansion pad if so.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There are other ways to see if a piece of land is at least feasible for development than asking Martin and others, just sayin'. ;)

They get air conditioning? And we can't get some shade in Toy Story land?

You expect amenities like shade for the unwashed masses??? That's just ripe for an upcharge, if ya asks me. :hilarious: And, of course TDO has AC, it's automatically included with the ivory tower. 🤣

Goofyernmost

There are other ways to see if a piece of land is at least feasible for development than asking Martin and others, just sayin'. ;)

You expect amenities like shade for the unwashed masses??? That's just ripe for an upcharge, if ya asks me. :hilarious: And, of course TDO has AC, it's automatically included with the ivory tower. 🤣
I know it is just joking, but, are we complaining because Disney doesn't AC the outdoors? Must be time to build that bubble.🙃

TP2000

Project Stardust is a direct reference to the film Rogue One, in which the plans for the Death Star we stored under the title Project Stardust.

Get it? :rolleyes:

Not really. But I can be kind of dense.

So Disneyland is the Death Star? Or Star Wars Land is the Death Star? Or is it just the new Tropical Hideaway that's the Death Star?

Back to DHS, what is the equivalent plan for that park? Is there a Project Stardust for DHS?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom