DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

YodaMan

People complain that Disney isn't moving fast enough - now complain an area that's important to get TSL and SWL is closing down. The lands need a staging area. I wonder what the reaction will be when they announce Indy us closing down.

For what it's worth, I don't care at all that LMA is leaving; it's about time. I just honestly thought they'd try and keep it up a little longer since it's one of the larger capacity attractions still left.

Plus they say "and nearby locations" and there really isn't even much left. Premier and SOA already have nothing, Joffreya and Cars and Phineas and Ferb already closed, so surely the "nearby locations" are a combination of HISTK, Catering Co, Watto's, Monsters Inc, and Studio Store. Gonna be nothing left soon.

ToTBellHop

For what it's worth, I don't care at all that LMA is leaving; it's about time. I just honestly thought they'd try and keep it up a little longer since it's one of the larger capacity attractions still left.

Plus they say "and nearby locations" and there really isn't even much left. Premier and SOA already have nothing, Joffreya and Cars and Phineas and Ferb already closed, so surely the "nearby locations" are a combination of HISTK, Catering Co, Watto's, Monsters Inc, and Studio Store. Gonna be nothing left soon.
Other than Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Animation Courtyard, Pixar Place, and the bulk of Echo Lake?

It'll be more problematic once Indy closes and Star Tours goes on hiatus...eek! Glad the fireworks are here to stay!

Next Big Thing

Other than Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Animation Courtyard, Pixar Place, and the bulk of Echo Lake?

It'll be more problematic once Indy closes and Star Tours goes on hiatus...eek! Glad the fireworks are here to stay!
When Star Tours has to go down (presumably for changes related to SWL), that will really hurt as ST is a big people eater and in a park that's hurting for capacity, it's going to be seeing likely around 45-60 minute waits on average now (based on what i've been seeing in person). It used to only get 15-25 on average.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
When Star Tours has to go down (presumably for changes related to SWL), that will really hurt as ST is a big people eater and in a park that's hurting for capacity, it's going to be seeing likely around 45-60 minute waits on average now. It used to only get 15-25 on average.

Hopefully TSL will be up and running by then.

SirLink

They could also have spent the last year since closing backlot tour clearing the old studio facilities out and then using backstage areas as staging space, rather than taking out an attraction that holds a lot of guests.

Also feels strange that the youngest attraction at the park is among the first to be closed down!

The relocation of the facilities backstage suc as costuming serve the whole WDW resort, they have to build those facilities first before thinking about real construction at the Studios. This seems more of the fact they have been given a completion date on those projects which will give them enough time to get equipment on site and begin tearing the stuff currently on stage. My take is so there won't be a long drawn out process to clear the land and begin on construction on infrastructure.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The relocation of the facilities backstage suc as costuming serve the whole WDW resort, they have to build those facilities first before thinking about real construction at the Studios. This seems more of the fact they have been given a completion date on those projects which will give them enough time to get equipment on site and begin tearing the stuff currently on stage. My take is so there won't be a long drawn out process to clear the land and begin on construction on infrastructure.

They have enough land and money so new facilities could have started construction within DAYS of project approval. Sorry this will just be a typical drag it out to keep the quarterly spend down project.

dizneycrazy09

It seems as though (and I could be wrong) that plans may have evolved a bit and timelines may have been expedited from when this project was initially announced. Hopefully this construction goes faster than all projects in recent history!

dstrawn9889

I don't think anyone saw that coming?

I thought general predictions were that Toy Story construction would be more over on Catastrophe Canyon and the costuming building so LMA was expected to remain for a few years?

Just saw the DisParks post on Facebook and came on here to see whats being said!
cant get people back there safely thorugh the construction staging and construction itself, so close it down

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Any chance the mammoth box office success of Force Awakens has pushed up timelines in hopes of getting Star Wars land opened closer to when Episode VIII comes out (as opposed to closer to when Episode IX comes out as was originally rumored)? I mean, I know it's only like 23 months until Episode VIII is supposed to open, but Jaws at Universal closed on January 2, 2012 and Diagon Alley was having press events by July 17, 2014 (~30 months later)... if nothing else, if they really wanted to, I'd imagine that they could have Star Wars land open in time for the blu-ray release of Episode VIII.. then again, there is really supposed to be a new Star Wars related movie coming out more or less every year for the next several years, so maybe that's not such a huge incentive...

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Any chance the mammoth box office success of Force Awakens has pushed up timelines in hopes of getting Star Wars land opened closer to when Episode VIII comes out (as opposed to closer to when Episode IX comes out as was originally rumored)? I mean, I know it's only like 23 months until Episode VIII is supposed to open, but Jaws at Universal closed on January 2, 2012 and Diagon Alley was having press events by July 17, 2014 (~30 months later)... if nothing else, if they really wanted to, I'd imagine that they could have Star Wars land open in time for the blu-ray release of Episode VIII.. then again, there is really supposed to be a new Star Wars related movie coming out more or less every year for the next several years, so maybe that's not such a huge incentive...

I think at this point, even if they went into "lightspeed" (pun intended), we should still expect nothing sooner than 2019. They have to contend with closures. I really don't think we will see the ground break on Star Wars Land until TSL is open, mostly because the park only has about 10 attractions (as someone pointed out). The construction of SWL will likely require a closure of a significant portion of the park. I don't know this for sure, but based on the information that's been tossed around, that's my best guess.

SirLink

They have enough land and money so new facilities could have started construction within DAYS of project approval. Sorry this will just be a typical drag it out to keep the quarterly spend down project.

This is a time when I am going to disagree with that, at the moment every project that I'm aware of with DHS expansion/change plan are interwoven more so than DCA and also are bleeding into other areas of WDW. I.e. They can't move costuming until a new costuming centre is built, they won't demo until they are in operation. A fully new built costuming centre doesn't appear out of thin air. However, if your point is that they should of had a better schedule already in place - I will concede that point.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is a time when I am going to disagree with that, at the moment every project that I'm aware of with DHS expansion/change plan are interwoven more so than DCA and also are bleeding into other areas of WDW. I.e. They can't move costuming until a new costuming centre is built, they won't demo until they are in operation. A fully new built costuming centre doesn't appear out of thin air. However, if your point is that they should of had a better schedule already in place - I will concede that point.

My point was they should have had a plan to come out of the gate running complete with ready to sign construction contracts for infrastructure contracts (like Costuming)

Bolt

From the Orlando Sentinel:

The "Earffel Tower" with Mickey ears will come down at Disney's Hollywood Studios and the theme park will close several attractions April 2.

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure, the meet and greet with Mike and Sulley from Monsters Inc., and the Studio Catering Co. restaurant will all close as part of a theme park makeover.

JediMasterMatt

I really don't think we will see the ground break on Star Wars Land until TSL is open, mostly because the park only has about 10 attractions (as someone pointed out). The construction of SWL will likely require a closure of a significant portion of the park. I don't know this for sure, but based on the information that's been tossed around, that's my best guess.

Nah, SWL construction will start soon enough and move along at typical WDW speeds. It and TSL will both be worked on together; but, TSL's lack of ambition and open before SWL will move it along at a quicker pace.

YodaMan

From the Orlando Sentinel:

The "Earffel Tower" with Mickey ears will come down at Disney's Hollywood Studios and the theme park will close several attractions April 2.

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure, the meet and greet with Mike and Sulley from Monsters Inc., and the Studio Catering Co. restaurant will all close as part of a theme park makeover.

Yeah, I guess I could believe that. Sure hope they can get some new stuff up and running fast...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom