DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's assuming that when the announcement was made it was well planned and not simply a reaction to try and control leaked information.

Still if the project was THAT BIG the plans should have been finalized months before BoD preso and been ready to go with an edit on the dates and permits ready to file, If it was not it speaks to a lack of competence in the planning departments.

BrerJon

Over a year since the Backlot Tour closed, not a shovel of dirt has moved in that area. I wonder how many years it will be until the site of LMA is used for something else? Does Disney have an official policy where they must leave an area dormant for at least 18 months before they can begin construction?

DHS really is the worst Disney park in the world now, possibly one of the worst theme parks full stop. It used to be a close call with Studios Paris, but now it's no contest. Anyone paying full price to visit is being seriously ripped off.

HauntedMansionFLA

For what it's worth, I don't care at all that LMA is leaving; it's about time. I just honestly thought they'd try and keep it up a little longer since it's one of the larger capacity attractions still left.

Plus they say "and nearby locations" and there really isn't even much left. Premier and SOA already have nothing, Joffreya and Cars and Phineas and Ferb already closed, so surely the "nearby locations" are a combination of HISTK, Catering Co, Watto's, Monsters Inc, and Studio Store. Gonna be nothing left soon.
I know. I saw LMA once and I was good. That's a lot of real estate in that area that could be developed into a awesome themed land. I would be pumped for a Star Wars phase two land connecting the two lands with a peoplemover type ride. Or a CarsLand just like DCA. TSL, SWL, CarsLand and everything else in the park would be a top quality park. Personally, I would love an UP themed area.

dstrawn9889

go back to the watershed permit. cc and LMA are in the path of the construction entrance, so i would think that sooner will be when these are levelled (CC first since there is more actionable permits showing up on TSL side.)

DC0703

QUOTE="BrerJon, post: 7047609, member: 76002"]Over a year since the Backlot Tour closed, not a shovel of dirt has moved in that area. I wonder how many years it will be until the site of LMA is used for something else? Does Disney have an official policy where they must leave an area dormant for at least 18 months before they can begin construction?

DHS really is the worst Disney park in the world now, possibly one of the worst theme parks full stop. It used to be a close call with Studios Paris, but now it's no contest. Anyone paying full price to visit is being seriously ripped off.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to give them a pass right now because it's clear something massive is about to take place in the park. DHS really needs an overhaul and I'm happy it is about to get one (eventually).

I agree with you about it being a waste to visit now though. We're planning a trip for may and will be avoiding the park. By that point half the party will probably be off limits. Not worth the admission cost

HauntedMansionFLA

Nah, SWL construction will start soon enough and move along at typical WDW speeds. It and TSL will both be worked on together; but, TSL's lack of ambition and open before SWL will move it along at a quicker pace.
I know they are " off the shelf rides" but a nicely themed TS spinner and a TS carousel would be little nice additions that would appeal toward the families and children.

HauntedMansionFLA

It's gonna be weird having the Studios without the Earful Tower...

What's going to be the park icon now? Tower of Terror?
That seems to be on the promotional stuff that I see. We have to be patience for a while. I love ToT, RRC and Star Tours - some of my favorite rides. They attractions coming in will be nice additions and make it an overall great park.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So, based on what was announced to close, would it be safe to assume that sometime after April 2nd, walls will go up to block off access to this general area? Makes Pixar Place and the Muppets pretty crummy dead-end areas. Don't think that will do anything to slow down traffic to Midway Mania, but with Pizza Planet being closed most of this year for remodeling/refurbishment, seems like traffic to the Muppets may go way down...

Untitled.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm willing to give them a pass right now because it's clear something massive is about to take place in the park. DHS really needs an overhaul and I'm happy it is about to get one (eventually).

I agree with you about it being a waste to visit now though. We're planning a trip for may and will be avoiding the park. By that point half the party will probably be off limits. Not worth the admission cost

Well, if you have park hopper, I would say it is still worth going over there for things like ToT, TSMM, RnR, Star Tours, Launch Bay and Fantasmic....

For the 2 locals that may buy a 1 day ticket to DHS...that may not be the best idea.

wdwgreek

What are they using streets of America for? I'm trying to visualize how the lands are going to be laid out and I'm struggling. Muppets sticks out like a thumb that makes it hard for star wars to flow from star tours to LMA.

YodaMan

So, based on what was announced to close, would it be safe to assume that sometime after April 2nd, walls will go up to block off access to this general area? Makes Pixar Place and the Muppets pretty crummy dead-end areas. Don't think that will do anything to slow down traffic to Midway Mania, but with Pizza Planet being closed most of this year for remodeling/refurbishment, seems like traffic to the Muppets may go way down...

View attachment 126465

At the very least, the southernmost line can go upward; there is already a wall up from the San Francisco facade going directly east and blocking off Joffrey's, etc.

wdwgreek

I thought the general consensus was that Star Wars WASN'T going to flow that way
I as well, but I find it so strange to shut down SAO and LMA if they aren't going to build something on it. If Indy was announced to close it would line up with what we all imagined and mapped out for the Star Wars Land rumors. I believe the prevailing idea is Star Wars land will start around Echo lake and stretch into the parking lot. While toystoryland takes up the backlot tour and backstage spaces leaving SAO, Muppets, and LMA as a buffer. But that no longer seems the case.

Jon81uk

This is a time when I am going to disagree with that, at the moment every project that I'm aware of with DHS expansion/change plan are interwoven more so than DCA and also are bleeding into other areas of WDW. I.e. They can't move costuming until a new costuming centre is built, they won't demo until they are in operation. A fully new built costuming centre doesn't appear out of thin air. However, if your point is that they should of had a better schedule already in place - I will concede that point.

Backlot tour closed something like 18 months ago. That's plenty of time to have built a new costuming facility. They should in theory be able to demolished that whole area of the park come April.

Chris82

What are they using streets of America for? I'm trying to visualize how the lands are going to be laid out and I'm struggling. Muppets sticks out like a thumb that makes it hard for star wars to flow from star tours to LMA.

It sort of looks like Star Wars Land isn't going to be in the Echo Lake area after all?

While it might make sense to us armchair Imagineers to assume that Disney is going to try to minimize thematic interruptions by locating Star Wars Land near Star Tours and not letting Muppets interrupt the thematic cohesion, I think that's not a safe assumption - consider where they're putting Star Wars Land in California, after all. If Star Wars Land is going in and behind Streets of America, the safer assumption is that Muppets is going to get bulldozed, too - they'll just wait until the last possible moment to do that.

wdwgreek

WAIT I just though of how this could work. Star Tours becomes a terminal, through which star tours brings you to this planet you exit throw a new passageway and enter the port that makes up the location of Star Wars Land. It would connect sta to the pelf land they are clearing out now.

Chris82

WAIT I just though of how this could work. Star Tours becomes a terminal, through which star tours brings you to this planet you exit throw a new passageway and enter the port that makes up the location of Star Wars Land. It would connect sta to the pelf land they are clearing out now.

Haha yeah - I was always disappointed as a kid that Star Tours didn't actually deliver you to Endor...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom