DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Jeffxz

This is a plus article, so can't read if not a subscriber.
I assume this is a "reclaim welands and re-establsih elsewhere" type of move to gain more available land/space near DHS?

Article text below

For its long-term growth plan, Walt Disney World wants permission to develop far more wetland acres than it originally proposed to state regulators.

Disney last year bought the 3,000-acre Mira Lago property to the southeast with plans to restore it in exchange for impacting 350 new acres of wetlands throughout its resort property. According to documents recently filed with the state, Disney has increased to 575 the number of wetland acres it wants to develop over 30 years.

The number changed after "additional planning and a more comprehensive analysis," Disney's consultants said in documents filed with the South Florida Water Management District.

In a separate application to the federal government, Disney said attendance growth and rising demand are driving projections.

The wetland acreage Disney wants government approval to destroy is about the same amount as what it has impacted during the last two decades. Development during that time has included the town of Celebration and Disney's Animal Kingdom park.

Disney said it is trying to maximize its flexibility for future growth. "This permit modification continues our longstanding commitment to responsible growth and environmental stewardship in a way that will contribute to Florida's conservation for years to come," spokeswoman Jacquee Wahler said in a prepared statement.

Disney has told government officials it will try to develop as much as possible outside of wetlands.

Audubon Florida advocacy director Charles Lee, who has had discussions with Disney about the permits it is seeking, said the company wants to accommodate as much potential growth as possible.

"It runs the entire list — parking lots, expansion of … the theme-park attractions themselves, service areas," he said.

A document filed with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers shows the additional wetlands spread out throughout Disney's 45 square miles of property, in seven "districts."

The largest number would be in the Magic Kingdom District, which includes its namesake theme park and surrounding hotels. The area goes north to Reams Road, east past Golden Oak and west past Magnolia golf course. Disney has permission to destroy 116 currently undeveloped wetland acres in the area. It wants permission to add 169 acres to that.

Disney plans several transportation projects in the area.

Another 122 acres would be in the district encompassing Disney's Hollywood Studios and ESPN Wide World of Sports. Right now Disney can develop on 31 undeveloped wetland acres there.

Disney plans a major expansion of Hollywood Studios. The company announced in August it will build two new lands based on Star Wars and Toy Story.

Surrounding regional development also is driving the need, Disney said. As examples, it cited Horizon West and a planned extension of Western Way.

Disney in 1992 brokered a deal that allowed destruction of 600 acres of wetlands throughout the property in exchange for establishing a wilderness preserve 20 miles southeast of Disney World. About half of the 600 acres had been impacted as of last year.

Of the 575 acres that Disney now wants to add, 241 are currently under conservation easements. The district's governing board will vote on removing those easements next month.

Disney's permit applications also seek to add five parcels totaling more than 800 acres to its permit for potential development. The largest piece, almost 600 acres, borders the recently started Flamingo Crossings hotel-and-retail complex near State Road 429.

As it prepared to ask for more wetland impacts, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts in 2014 bought Mira Lago with plans for restoration. The site, in Osceola and Polk counties, lies west of the Disney Wilderness Preserve.

Development of 4,000 homes had been considered on Mira Lago. Environmentalists said that would have cut off animals' migration paths and affected controlled burns.

"The benefits of the Mira Lago mitigation site are so large and compelling, it's capable of absorbing all this and more," Lee said.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
for those who are local, something is coming on local fox-orlando news at 10 about Disney wanting to use wetlands for expansion at the studios yet reclaiming wetlands elsewhere in its place? I didnt get it, but will try to watch to find out, sounded like issues of some kind.

Well @danlb_2000 brought all this to the forefront a few months back.

Brer Panther

Yeah, in terms of DHS it sounds like the smarter folks prevailed and Muppets, Streets and Echo Lake seem to be safe. As safe as they can be I guess. Isn't that the consensus as of now?

So, wait... If both Echo Lake AND Streets of America are staying, where is Star Wars going?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

flyerjab

This is a continuing evolution of a permit that I reported on last year. I am still reviewing the new document Disney submitted. I have bumped the original thread about this and will post any other info I find there.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wetland-use-expansion-permit.888031/

The Disney Blog just posted something about this concerning an apparent expansion on wet land use.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/10/14...nounces-desire-expand-by-converting-wetlands/

Brian Swan

Was there any thought to moving Star Wars to the other side of World Drive with some kind of "light speed" transportation and then not having to build parking garages and make the other infrastructure changes? On the one hand you have to spend money on some kind of transportation device to cross world drive. On the other you save money on parking garages. I guess once you add in the logistics of halving 20% of your park on the other side of the road it doesn't make much sense. I probably just answered my question, ok then, thanks.
I think it would be a traffic flow nightmare to have the only entrance to what will be a very popular land via a "ride" of some sort. I envision 2 3 hour lines just to GET to SWL, not to mention the lines once actually there. If they really wanted to build on the other side of the road, a high-capacity pedestrian bridge (with very high walls or complete enclosed) would be much more efficient. But it doesn't sound like either option is on the table...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They are fantastic at finding content from these forums....

In their defense, they did not get this from here. I didn't know about this change to the permit until I saw the article. I generally only look for new SFWMD permits and rarely check the status of old ones. This one I check from time to time, but it's over a year old and doesn't get an update very often.

wendysmom

Indy theater/Backlot Express + current backstage buildings + a chunk of the "Television" parking lot

It's not technically correct that Echo Lake (the land) is not being used, just that the lake itself and the restaurants near it will be preserved.

So, is there a chance Mama Melrose' s will be staying?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom