DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

PREMiERdrum

MA has a pretty good piece today on the Star Wars plans for DL (short term and long term). I'm interested if anyone here has heard how similar (or dissimilar?) the projects will be? I'm assuming that they're both being developed together at the secret location in Glendale.

The article also mentions that the old CoP / Innoventions building in DL's Tomorrowland, which was first closed to be converted to an anniversary exhibit that never materialized, is being turned into a Star Wars Launch Bay that will open in November as response to an Iger directive to do more in the parks to push the new SW films.

Wasn't there a rumor of the Animation Building at DHS being converted for a "Star Wars preview?" Could it be...?

YodaMan

Probably unrelated to anything, but park hours have changed for two upcoming evenings. October 24 and December 2 both had the park closing early for what I would assume was a buyout, but both dates just changed to normal operating hours. I don't know if that was a mistake from the beginning or if they had different hours for another reason or if it's just common to back out of a buyout, but just thought I'd share. The optimist in me thinks they're trying to relocate all buyouts to other parks because there will be too much construction going on at that time.

doctornick

Nope, it's actually going to be a villains show replacing BatB. That's the info I've been given from a highly trusted source.

Yes, the scuttlebutt is for a Villains show to replace BatB and a Tangled show to go into the Fantasmic! theater during the daytime. I'm not claiming this will come to pass, but that's been the rumor of late.

CinematicFusion

"The majority of Star Wars Land in the northernmost park acreage will be inside a massive series of show buildings, meaning the land won’t have to close for fireworks fallout. The rides and shows in the land itself are being developed in a top secret Imagineering lab in Glendale with Imagineers signing extra confidentiality agreements because the plotlines and characters are pulled from the next three episodes in the Star Wars saga and the Lucasfilm folks understandably guard that information with their lives. But what we can tell you is that Star Wars Land will include multiple attractions, anchored by a mega E Ticket using a trackless vehicle that will break the mold when it comes to how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment."

Sounds cool..... Hope WDW has an amazing concept up their sleeves as well.

Kman101

It's really time for a refresh on the theater shows. I like the idea of villains in Theater of the Stars and Tangled in the Hollywood Hills ampitheater. Let's get rolling on these. I know they want to enclose the Theater of Stars but these shouldn't take super long to implement. They could give us Toy Story flat rides and new shows by 2016 if they really wanted to. IMO. Maybe they will.

Bocabear

I think they could do a lot of things if they wanted to...It seems like they have no motivation to do much within a short time...unless attendance drops, but the Sheeple just keep a comin'... So...they can spread it out, add more "Special Events"...add more minimum wage employees in costumes, and continue to let the park languish,... as long as people are willing to spend a hundred dollars to get in, they will continue to deliver mediocre offerings.

Travel Junkie

A couple things of note in the MA update as it may relate to DHS. Imagineers working on Star Wars land had to sign a separate NDA, so it sounds like they are really trying to control leaks on this project. Also the Disneyland version will feature a mega E-ticket that incorporates a trackless ride vehicle that “will break the mold in how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment.”

http://micechat.com/108619-disneyland-rumors-starwars/

Bocabear

A couple things of note in the MA update as it may relate to DHS. Imagineers working on Star Wars land had to sign a separate NDA, so it sounds like they are really trying to control leaks on this project. Also the Disneyland version will feature a mega E-ticket that incorporates a trackless ride vehicle that “will break the mold in how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment.”

And Florida will get a meet and greet...

Mike S

If that's true and it doesn't also come to WDW......... Oh boy.......

stretchsje

I believe he was indeed referring to Theatre of the Stars and not The Hills Ampitheatre.

Either way, Indy was custom built above, on and below the stage. Highly unlikely to be transplanted.
Either way.

There are currently two stunt shows at Hollywood Studios: Indy and Lights, Motors, Action. If LMA is closing, then that leaves IJSS as the only crowd-eating, people-pleasing, and fitting-the-Hollywood-Aventure-theme stunt show. Except we hear that it too has been regularly on-and-off the chopping block.

The Hills Amphitheater is the obvious choice for a new stunt show, but many pages back folks were showing the resemblance of the Fantasmic set to Tangled's Corona. (Edit: and more speculation on this just a few posts up!!!) Anyway. My wildly speculative guess is that a new stunt show moving to The Hills. And that if IJSS closes, then our favorite hero would be headlining that new show.

The stage would put the actors quite far away from the audience, more like LMA, where personal interactions have to be watched on a giant TV screen. That would really take away from a scene like Indy dodging the spikes that shoot out of the floor, for example. I'd expect a lot more vehicular stunts in a revised show for that reason, and of course the stage is already plumbed for pyrotechnics.

More to the point, if a daytime show is coming to that stage, what else do you think would go there? Something original, like (but obviously not a copy of) Mickey and the Magical Map? I don't recall reading much speculation on this other than, "Something is coming."

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Nope, it's actually going to be a villains show replacing BatB. That's the info I've been given from a highly trusted source.

This would be really cool and at least something new. I wonder how they would fit this into the area. Villains show, ToT, RnRC and shopping? Is it too much to hope that this area could be villain themed? ToT and Fantasmic have a bit of an eerie feel and F! is already focused on villains. RnRC could be re-themed somehow to incorporate villains and you already have villains and vogue. Maybe the dining over there could change as well to fit the theme. Hollywood and Villains?!? Everyone knows you can't have a great movie without a great villain! Fun to consider...

PS- Oh what if RnRC had a ton of Disney Villains throughout the ride that you had to escape?!? You get to pick which song to listen to while you ride: "Gaston", "Friends on the Other Side", "Poor Unfortunate Souls", "Ratigan", "Mother Knows Best", "Be Prepared", "Cruela DeVil", "Oogie Boogie", etc. Okay: finished dreaming now =)

Last edited:

Matt_Black

This would be really cool and at least something new. I wonder how they would fit this into the area. Villains show, ToT, RnRC and shopping? Is it too much to hope that this area could be villain themed? ToT and Fantasmic have a bit of an eerie feel and F! is already focused on villains. RnRC could be re-themed somehow to incorporate villains and you already have villains and vogue. Maybe the dining over there could change as well to fit the theme. Hollywood and Villains?!? Everyone knows you can't have a great movie without a great villain! Fun to consider...

Maybe Cruella could be the hostess. While technically her film takes place in London in the 50s/60s, her aesthetic design and character can EASILY be dropped into 1940s Sunset Blvd without too much trouble. Certainly, the Once Upon a Time crew put her in the Great Gatsby/ Roaring Twenties Era, and it fit.

captainmoch

One major flaw with doing a daytime show in the Hills ampitheater: no awning. Won't it get really hot in the Florida summer sun during a daytime show?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom