DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Brian Swan

Additionally, they're addressing some of the problems of the first half of the season when the show comes back in February. More zaniness and heart. New human villain in the form of some exec trying to rebrand Piggy's show for the Muppets to rally against
It would be nice if they could do something with it. But they're going to have to do some sort of major media blitz to get those of us who watched the first few episodes and gave up on it back...

Brian Swan

I hope so. I think that if they insist on lands for single IP, Monstropolis is an pretty ideal option.

Oh please oh please be true.
And from a practical (i.e. cost savings) perspective, a Monstropolis overlay of the current SOA would not be a difficult thing to do. Converting MM to Harry's would essentially be no more than an interior decorating refurb - also easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive. And although not entirely in keeping with Marni's color-coded map, there is plenty of room at the end of SOA (i.e. the LMA area) to house a large "dark ride" building...

Brian Swan

And there is the issue.... Not sure if the tomorrowland movie has anything to do with the success of the magic kingdom. How about the haunted mansion movie....oh, or there is always the huge hit with the 18-49 demo... Splash mountain/song of the south. Maybe the Muppets are not translating well to TV in this modern era. (while not a hit, it isn't doing too bad). But that in my opinion is irrelevant to the success in the theme parks. They are kid friendly, funny, and accessible to even those who know little about it them. They are kind of universal (sorry about the un-intended pun). Find me someone... anyone in the developed world, who doesn't know about Kermit the frog. Not every attraction and every property has to be an E-ticket. Parks need solid, well known, filler, and the muppets are perfect for that. No one walks out of that attraction and hates it. The vast majority of guests enjoy a little Muppets. Would I build 14 acres to them... heck no. But a small corner, themed to the muppets, nothing wrong with that. (A QS restaurant, gift shop, attraction and a color scheme all working together... why are we complaining)

I would say that the muppets is a better attraction than Tower of Terror..... I like both, but the park needs both. Twilight Zone... to anyone under 30 Twilight is a whole different thing. Also, not everyone can or wants to do Tower of Terror.
I agree entirely. Although for me the new series is a flop, I think turning that whole "plaza' area by M3D into a unified Muppets-themed area is a great idea. Revamp the movie, convert the old Pizza Planet into a Muppets CM, keep the Muppets store, add some more "streetmosphere" and M&Gs, even a Muppets-themed kids "playland". Although I'd LOVE to see a high-thrill SW coaster and the legendary-but-never-built Doors coaster, the park needs more "family" attractions to keep it balanced.

Brian Swan

But if the show is still attracting plenty of guests currently today if anyone on this board has been to DHS...has checked out indy show attendance? Are lines still long? Your the only member on here that seems to want to talk about Indiana Jones future,other dhs attractions everyone else seems to be ignoring it. I'm also sad that Lma is closing it's doors. It should come back to a newer location in the park...I've never seen it. Pretty sure others haven't either. Got to go all the way to Paris to see it??
The last time I saw Indy was about a year ago. It was a relatively "low crowd" day, and although I don't think they turned anyone away, there weren't very many empty seats in the arena...

Brian Swan

My wish, as they develop the phases after Star Wars and Toy Story that they kept any area smaller like the Muppets Courtyard OR vague enough that would allow multiple IPs to exist within them. How many "Muppet Courtyard" sized areas could fit into the size of space they have planned for TSL? An attraction, a food location, and maybe meet n greet depending on the theme would suffice for me for any future plans. Everyone seems so happy with California Adventure (never been there myself) and how its very much a park for the Disney FANS that I don't see why there hasn't been any talk of developing areas and attractions based around Silly Symphonies, early Mickey, Oswald, etc. like DCA.
I love both classic Disney and DCA, but I think you overstate the presence of one in the other. Oswald's presence is little more than a gift shop. Silly Symphonies are just an out of the box swings ride with "Band Concert" artwork painted on, and other than Mickey's face on the wonder wheel, he's virtually non-existent in DCA. I'm happy to see at least an homage to the early IPs, but saying that developing areas and rides around them is a bit of an overstatement.

elchippo

I love both classic Disney and DCA, but I think you overstate the presence of one in the other. Oswald's presence is little more than a gift shop. Silly Symphonies are just an out of the box swings ride with "Band Concert" artwork painted on, and other than Mickey's face on the wonder wheel, he's virtually non-existent in DCA. I'm happy to see at least an homage to the early IPs, but saying that developing areas and rides around them is a bit of an overstatement.
Maybe "giving them a presence" would be a more accurate statement then:)

Brian Swan

Well, this idealized version of a DHS expansion (http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140703/19010/ideal-build-out-disney-hollywoodland-park) contained something called Timeless River, a land based upon the original black-and-white shorts Disney did. However, since the drawing places the land where a good chunk of Toy Story Land will be, I don't think it would be feasible.
Blog+-+MGM+V.PNG
A land based on the Alice comedies? I'm a pretty hard-core fan of early Disney, but I can't begin to imagine a "land" based on these. Perhaps I am showing my ignorance, but I don't know who S W Wilson is, and this "idealized" map seems to have nothing to do with any of the "more concrete" plans that have been announced/discussed. Toyville? Metroville?

Eoghann

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/abc-2014-15-season-ratings-38054/

For those curious, here are the ratings for them Muppets compared to other ABC shows

Those ratings are a bit misleading because they're an average. Muppets started out incredibly strong but dropped like a stone and it's not clear if the show has found its level yet. Currently it's doing considerably less than that average suggests. They're not horrible ratings, but I suspect the show is rather expensive when compared to other 30 minute comedies.

Which is probably why the "extended a limited run season" and there's been no word yet on a second season. A lot rides on the tweaking that is being done for the additional episodes.

gonzoWDW

Those ratings are a bit misleading because they're an average. Muppets started out incredibly strong but dropped like a stone and it's not clear if the show has found its level yet. Currently it's doing considerably less than that average suggests. They're not horrible ratings, but I suspect the show is rather expensive when compared to other 30 minute comedies.

Which is probably why the "extended a limited run season" and there's been no word yet on a second season. A lot rides on the tweaking that is being done for the additional episodes.

True, I was going to link the Muppets' episode ratings, but thought that might be better for context. Personally, I have no idea what those ratings mean, but it help to see it compared to shows I know are considered strong, like Modern Family. Also, I thought it was interesting that the ratings are comparable to Agents of Shield. Isn't that show considered a success?

Eoghann

True, I was going to link the Muppets' episode ratings, but thought that might be better for context. Personally, I have no idea what those ratings mean, but it help to see it compared to shows I know are considered strong, like Modern Family. Also, I thought it was interesting that the ratings are comparable to Agents of Shield. Isn't that show considered a success?

Successful but not really a hit. It's heavily supported by being part of the Avengers franchise but it's not the tentpole of that franchise. It does better than Castle or Nashville so it keeps getting renewed, but it pales compared to a real hit like Scandal.

However, again those averages are misleading. For its last two episodes before Christmas SHIELD scored 1.31 and 1.35 in the key 18-49 demo (the one the advertisers care about) Muppets managed only 1.06 and 1.06. Again not disastrously bad, but the problem is this was supposed to be the tentpole of a franchise.

Disney really, really want this to work. They know there's an audience, which is why the ratings were so good (2.87!) for that first episode. They just can't seem to find the right tone.

Matt_Black

Successful but not really a hit. It's heavily supported by being part of the Avengers franchise but it's not the tentpole of that franchise. It does better than Castle or Nashville so it keeps getting renewed, but it pales compared to a real hit like Scandal.

However, again those averages are misleading. For its last two episodes before Christmas SHIELD scored 1.31 and 1.35 in the key 18-49 demo (the one the advertisers care about) Muppets managed only 1.06 and 1.06. Again not disastrously bad, but the problem is this was supposed to be the tentpole of a franchise.

Disney really, really want this to work. They know there's an audience, which is why the ratings were so good (2.87!) for that first episode. They just can't seem to find the right tone.

I'd be interested to see what they were against those nights where the ratings were low. A lot of Christmas specials and other events around that time, if memory serves.

Eoghann

I'd be interested to see what they were against those nights where the ratings were low. A lot of Christmas specials and other events around that time, if memory serves.

If that was an isolated case maybe but the trend for Muppets was down. The two weeks prior to that it was 1.21 and 1.19. And in those four weeks, only once were they head to head against a Christmas special (Rudolph). The trend is bad and there was no real sign that the bleeding had stopped before the mid-season break.

Fox&Hound

If they did go with a Monsters Inc Land I could see it taking a page out of SW Land and having roving monsters throughout the land- headed to work and such.

A big question I have is if they go with Monsters Inc as a mini land, does that mean we get the much discussed door coaster?????

According to an outdated article I found from a few years ago, here was a description of the door coaster ride "
Here, they'll find an elaborate recreation of the Monsters, Inc. lobby. With Ceilia (You know? Mike Wazowski's one-eyed, snake-haired girlfriend?) working behind the reception desk. Given that this attraction will be set in the post-film world (After monsters have learned that laughter is 10 times more powerful than screams), Monsters, Inc. is holding an open house today. Actually inviting humans in the Monster world to come tour their energy-gathering facility.

Speaking of energy-gathering ... As they make their way through the queue, Disney World visitors will periodically encounter scream / laugh cannisters with funnels sticking up out of them. These Guests will then be encouraged to scream / laugh into these funnels. Which will cause the sides of these cannisters to light up and reveal how much energy was just gathered.

As they make their way up to the attraction's load area, these WDW visitors will learn that this Open House is all Mike Wazowski's idea. That -- along the route that their coaster is supposed to travel through the Door Hangar -- this wiley one-eyed monster has placed even more scream / laugh cannisters. Which will then collect all of the energy that these humans produce as they scream & laugh their way through this attraction.

These Guests will then board a train that's two seats wide and eight-to-ten cars long. After chugging up the lifthill past show scenes where Mike & Sulley will quickly recap the backstory of this attraction, these WDW visitors will drop down into the Door Hangar building. Where they then quickly whip past various comic tableaus featuring some of the more memorable characters from the "Monsters, Inc." film. Not to mention some far-too-close encounters with huge scare / laugh cannisters (Whose sides -- once again reinforcing this attraction's interactive aspect -- will light up depending on how loudly the Guests on board that particular coaster train scream).

Monsters,-Inc.-2-web.jpg

Copyright 2001 Disney Pixar. All Rights Reserved

As for the finale of this two-minute-long attraction ... Well, it seems that these Disney World visitors will produce so much energy with all of their screams & laughter that the cannisters in the Door Hangar just can't contain it all. So there's this huge explosion near the end with bright lights & smoke. And just before their train rolls back into the station, these Guests will see a slightly charred versions of Mike & Sulley. With Wazowski telling his big blue friend "I think we need to get some bigger cannisters."

Now granted, this was from Jim Hill...I know, I know, but still. I could see a lot this being in the door coaster if they even build it. Kids screaming into canisters in the queue sounds like an awful idea. Not sure if it would make sense but I thought it would be INCREDIBLE if the door coaster somehow shot guests into different doors and so different rooms could be themed to different areas: a kids bedroom, frozen wasteland, Epcot, etc. down the road they could change out some of the rooms and add a repeatability factor to the ride since some of the rooms could be ever changing...

End of rant. I really hope they go with a monsters inc land- man that could be awesome.

Either way, we can all agree this will be a brand new park in 5-10 years!

Matt_Black

If that was an isolated case maybe but the trend for Muppets was down. The two weeks prior to that it was 1.21 and 1.19. And in those four weeks, only once were they head to head against a Christmas special (Rudolph). The trend is bad and there was no real sign that the bleeding had stopped before the mid-season break.

Ah, but part of that "trend" included being up against the MLB playoffs a few times. As there were more teams from major markets in the game this year as opposed to previous years (i.e., people in many big cities actually gave a crap about baseball this year), many shows took a hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom