DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

twebber55

I agree in some ways. I think Toy Story's setting does not lend itself to the grand scale of immersion that Cars has. That being said, I do think that we will be getting the best "Cars level" treatment for this specific franchise. By looking at the people in the concept art, you really get a sense of scale. I think people will be pleasantly surprised. Yes, the attraction line up isn't flooring anyone, but it serves its purpose really well: the more tame section of the park.

I agree
i ve always said, does the IP adapt well to a theme park setting

WildcatDen

Companies run in this manner nearly always fail and usually do so in a spectacular fashion, Will the parks go away - no they will be sold to a new owner at fire sale prices as will the rest of the business units.
OK Skippy. What is your guess when this will happen? 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20, 50? Eventually? I see we have a new Weatherman in town. . . Even they are right sometimes.

JediMasterMatt

So, back to the topic...

Cathy Magnum made it a point in her D23 presentation to compare Toy Story Land with Cars Land in terms of the level of immersion. Based on the concept art, I definitely don't see that - especially because the Slinky Dog coaster looks like it'll be too obviously a ride structure (unless they theme the supports incredibly well, to look like things Andy put together, with pencils, etc). Thoughts?

Immersion is the new buzzword the industry is capitalizing on. Immersion doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with scope or scale though.

Carsland is immersive; but, it is also breathtaking in scale. It has the biggest landscape ever created for a theme park. Horizontally, it fills your entire periphery.

Diagon Alley is immersive; but, it is also breathtaking in scope as it fills your entire field of vision and is especially overwhelming in the vertical aspect as the street and details tower over you. The entire outside world disappears when you are inside of it.

Immersion can occur in smaller scales and scopes, so what Cathy is saying can certainly be true - from a certain point of view (at least that is what Obi-Wan Kenobi told me).

I'm sure that Toy Story Land will be immersive and make you feel like you are the size of a Toy in Andy's backyard. I just don't think it's swinging for the same fences in terms of scope or scale that Carsland did.

twebber55

Immersion is the new buzzword the industry is capitalizing on. Immersion doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with scope or scale though.

Carsland is immersive; but, it is also breathtaking in scale. It has the biggest landscape ever created for a theme park. Horizontally, it fills your entire periphery.

Diagon Alley is immersive; but, it is also breathtaking in scope as it fills your entire field of vision and is especially overwhelming in the vertical aspect as the street and details tower over you. The entire outside world disappears when you are inside of it.

Immersion can occur in smaller scales and scopes, so what Cathy is saying can certainly be true - from a certain point of view (at least that is what Obi-Wan Kenobi told me).

I'm sure that Toy Story Land will be immersive and make you feel like you are the size of a Toy in Andy's backyard. I just don't think it's swinging for the same fences in terms of scope or scale that Carsland did.

i think you will see scale and scope with Avatar and Star wars
not so much with TSL

Phroobar

A Bugs Land in DCA is immersive because of the huge clover but that doesn't make it good.

ToTBellHop

A Bugs Land in DCA is immersive because of the huge clover but that doesn't make it good.
The target audience feels a little different.

Same park:

DSCN0077.jpg

JediMasterMatt

Most definitely true. DCA's Bugs Land is decent enough; but, just lacks any ambition. Unfortunately, increasing things in size by itself doesn't increase the realism or detail. As you shrink down, the level of detail should go up. Our eyes haven't changed in their resolving abilities, so we should see much more detail on the environment that has gotten bigger around us. Unless I'm forgetting something, the best attempt Disney has ever done with this miniature universe is DCA's Bugs Land and even it falls short on the level of detail on all the "bigatures". A blade of grass should have tons of detail and instead we end up with giant fiberglass looking blades. Nowhere near what being down in the weeds (literally) would look like.

TSL will suffer from the same; but, it's also important to remember that the universe of the films aren't based in reality.

Either way, the concept of miniaturization can't compete with the ambition/scope of Potter/Carsland/Star Wars.

Disone

When WDW first announced Storybook Circus, I was in the camp that thought.... "Another cheap fair concept that will look cheap and feel cheap". Honestly, IMO, SBC turned out to be the best part of New Fantasyland, it is the most immersive, very well detailed, and does not feel cheap. This gives me hope and I willing to wait and see what DHS does with TS land. It is not toy story playland, it is ToyStory Land, and so far it looks to be a significantly higher investment then its TS PLAYland predecessors. Don't freak out, someone will post the the budget was cut and it will be ply wood cut outs. That rumor, "from reliable sources" happened for Radiator Springs Racers, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and will happen for TSL as well, but just chill when it does and wait and see. Honestly, WDW's record as of late, has been pretty good. A consistent, well done, highly theme quality has been present in all of there projects, major and minor, in the recent so I am willing to hopeful here.

Lee

Adventurer
When WDW first announced Storybook Circus, I was in the camp that thought.... "Another cheap fair concept that will look cheap and feel cheap". Honestly, IMO, SBC turned out to be the best part of New Fantasyland, it is the most immersive, very well detailed, and does not feel cheap. This gives me hope and I willing to wait and see what DHS does with TS land.
Really?!?
I don't think we've been to the same Storybook Circus...

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
When WDW first announced Storybook Circus, I was in the camp that thought.... "Another cheap fair concept that will look cheap and feel cheap". Honestly, IMO, SBC turned out to be the best part of New Fantasyland, it is the most immersive, very well detailed, and does not feel cheap. This gives me hope and I willing to wait and see what DHS does with TS land. It is not toy story playland, it is ToyStory Land, and so far it looks to be a significantly higher investment then its TS PLAYland predecessors. Don't freak out, someone will post the the budget was cut and it will be ply wood cut outs. That rumor, "from reliable sources" happened for Radiator Springs Racers, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and will happen for TSL as well, but just chill when it does and wait and see. Honestly, WDW's record as of late, has been pretty good. A consistent, well done, highly theme quality has been present in all of there projects, major and minor, in the recent so I am willing to hopeful here.

LOL... You're funny...

*1023*

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Except Fantasyland 1955 didn't have slides, playhouses and crawling holes. There were actual rides there.
And it was absolutely stunning for 1955 when most amusement parks were bare dirt or gravel and had temporary rides.

DL redefined what an amusement park should be and raised the bar for the entire industry. 1955 Disneyland can't be judged by today's standards it needs to be judged by 1955 standards

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom