DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

RSoxNo1

Storybook Circus is fine for what it is, but I'm not a fan of exposed coasters, even kiddy coasters. With the Mine Train coming on board, I would have taken that as an opportunity to remove the Barnstormer and replace it with another dark ride. However, I think Disney has this misconception that younger guests should be able to graduate from the Barnstormer to the Mine Train to Thunder Mountain to Space Mountain.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Storybook Circus is fine for what it is, but I'm not a fan of exposed coasters, even kiddy coasters. With the Mine Train coming on board, I would have taken that as an opportunity to remove the Barnstormer and replace it with another dark ride. However, I think Disney has this misconception that younger guests should be able to graduate from the Barnstormer to the Mine Train to Thunder Mountain to Space Mountain.

It's a shame Dumbo didn't go at the other end of the land like originally planned because that would have opened up a big area to develop something new if they decided to get ride of Goffini, and even more so if they decided to get rid of the speedway.

doctornick

It's a shame Dumbo didn't go at the other end of the land like originally planned because that would have opened up a big area to develop something new if they decided to get ride of Goffini, and even more so if they decided to get rid of the speedway.

But the thing is that there is plenty of room for more stuff as it is currently configured -- the two tents plus backstage to the north of the land is a heck of a lot of room which could have been used for an additional ride or two. It's terrible that they used a massive space with the one tent for a M&G when that could have easily fit another ride like Pinocchio or Mickey's Madhouse or whatever and actually rounded out the land better.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
When WDW first announced Storybook Circus, I was in the camp that thought.... "Another cheap fair concept that will look cheap and feel cheap". Honestly, IMO, SBC turned out to be the best part of New Fantasyland, it is the most immersive, very well detailed, and does not feel cheap. This gives me hope and I willing to wait and see what DHS does with TS land. It is not toy story playland, it is ToyStory Land, and so far it looks to be a significantly higher investment then its TS PLAYland predecessors. Don't freak out, someone will post the the budget was cut and it will be ply wood cut outs. That rumor, "from reliable sources" happened for Radiator Springs Racers, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and will happen for TSL as well, but just chill when it does and wait and see. Honestly, WDW's record as of late, has been pretty good. A consistent, well done, highly theme quality has been present in all of there projects, major and minor, in the recent so I am willing to hopeful here.

TBH, Storybook Circus was too well done for me. I lost hope as I felt like I was forever going to be a permanent part of a circus troop. The wife tells me that security actually had to tranquilize me before removal, the immersion process was so complete.

Disone

Really?!?
I don't think we've been to the same Storybook Circus...

Oh we have both been to the same Storybook Circus. I said Storybook Circus does not come across as done on the cheap and I stand by that. It takes you to a romanticized version of a circus that previously only existed in movies and dreams. It is loaded with details big and small. The Dueling Dumbos are beautiful and add a kinetic energy. It is not a e-ticket nor does it have one, but it was not meant to be. It was meant to address a capacity issue they had for decades with the Dumbo. It was not meant to inspire a new population to buy a ticket into the Magic Kingdom, it was meant to add to the value of the day they are already enjoying inside the park. On this scale, Storybook Circus exceeds Mickey's Toontown fair, which did feel cheap and inconsistent. And they spent 10s of millions of dollars to do that, address a capacity issue with Dumbo and greatly improve the aesthetics of this corner of the Park.

I do agree with the idea that Goofini should go. I would like to see a Casey Jr. theme version of Maters Junkyard Jamboree in its place. Goofini is obsolete as family coaster experience compared to 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and is poorly themed compared to the rest of the area. Maters ride system has yet to make its debut at WDW. Replace the tractors with little Casey Jr.'s, and have the guests sit in the little yellow tenders that swing left and right as the trains chug around each other to Casey's theme song or others from the Dumbo Soundtrack.

Lee

Adventurer
Oh we have both been to the same Storybook Circus. I said Storybook Circus does not come across as done on the cheap and I stand by that. It takes you to a romanticized version of a circus that previously only existed in movies and dreams. It is loaded with details big and small. The Dueling Dumbos are beautiful and add a kinetic energy. It is not a e-ticket nor does it have one, but it was not meant to be. It was meant to address a capacity issue they had for decades with the Dumbo. It was not meant to inspire a new population to buy a ticket into the Magic Kingdom, it was meant to add to the value of the day they are already enjoying inside the park. On this scale, Storybook Circus exceeds Mickey's Toontown fair, which did feel cheap and inconsistent. And they spent 10s of millions of dollars to do that, address a capacity issue with Dumbo and greatly improve the aesthetics of this corner of the Park.

I do agree with the idea that Goofini should go. I would like to see a Casey Jr. theme version of Maters Junkyard Jamboree in its place. Goofini is obsolete as family coaster experience compared to 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and is poorly themed compared to the rest of the area. Maters ride system has yet to make its debut at WDW. Replace the tractors with little Casey Jr.'s, and have the guests sit in the little yellow tenders that swing left and right as the trains chug around each other to Casey's theme song or others from the Dumbo Soundtrack.
It feels (to me) and was, cheap. The only reason for its existence at all was as a cost saving alternative to their other plans (Pixie Hollow, etc.). Recycle the tents, light overlay on Barnstormer, a (ugh) water play area....

I'll agree that the added spinner is a capacity boost, but it's at the expense of its former iconic location and was done in part as a test case for the NextGen queue system.

Yawn.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Lee, where would have Dumbo moved to if the Circus wasn't built but the rest of New Fantasyland was?

Here is an earlier version of the Fantasyland plan with Dumbo on the other side of the Storybook circus area.

14720110-mmmain.jpg

P_Radden

Here is an earlier version of the Fantasyland plan with Dumbo on the other side of the Storybook circus area.

View attachment 117995
alerts.jpg

Regardless of the thread, these are some of my favorite alerts to get. I always know you (along with a handful of other great wdwmagic members) post great content, and as I still have a lot to learn, I really appreciate it!

What the heck were Aurora and Pixie Hollow suppose to be?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
View attachment 117996

Regardless of the thread, these are some of my favorite alerts to get. I always know you (along with a handful of other great wdwmagic members) post great content, and as I still have a lot to learn, I really appreciate it!

What the heck were Aurora and Pixie Hollow suppose to be?

Aurora and Cinderella were going to be a M&Gs along the lines of Storytime with Belle. Pixie hollow was going to have some form of spinner ride and a pixie M&G. Here is the model of a slightly later version with Dumbo where it eventually ended up but Pixie Hollow to the North.

Imagineering-Disney-Blog_-fantasyland-model_LG.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Aurora and Cinderella were going to be a M&Gs along the lines of Storytime with Belle. Pixie hollow was going to have some form of spinner ride and a pixie M&G. Here is the model of a slightly later version with Dumbo where it eventually ended up but Pixie Hollow to the North.

View attachment 118004

Still say they should have built Pixie Hollow especially with the INSANE popularity of the fairies with girls from 4-90 years old! No it's not MY idea of great entertainment but I have some idea of how popular this would have been by being dragged to the old Faerie M&G by the girls in my family more than once.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Still say they should have built Pixie Hollow especially with the INSANE popularity of the fairies with girls from 4-90 years old! No it's not MY idea of great entertainment but I have some idea of how popular this would have been by being dragged to the old Faerie M&G by the girls in my family more than once.

My understanding is that they had to sacrifice both the M&G's and Pixie Hollow to pay for the mine ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom