DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

MerlinTheGoat

I'm under the impression it's more of an access and logistics issue for both guests and equipment, for both SOA, Toy Land and the wider park. I do expect some of SOA to be impacted temporarily and permenantly.

The majority of the actual lighting is new each year anyway. It could be put anywhere if they wanted to.
Have you heard any indication that they DO want to put them anywhere in the future (whether at SoA or a new location)?

MerlinTheGoat

Mutterings of Disney Springs once complete but I don't see that happening.
Thanks. I recall that rumor myself, but I can see your reasons for doubting it.

If they finally retire the Osborne Lights for good and don't move them elsewhere, then I hope they flesh out some more Christmas lights elsewhere in the parks. Just installing lights on more of the regular trees around the parks would be a nice touch. It's something many small residences, malls and other businesses do for the holidays even (and it shouldn't require cranes or other obstructions, they can be installed overnight or during park operation without impacting guest experience). Busch Gardens' Christmas Town has a lot of nicely lit trees, and Seaworld even places a ton of colorful lit Christmas trees out on the water. Plenty of potential and ideas to draw from.

I seem to recall it being said that New Fantasyland was supposed to receive some Christmas decor when it was finally finished. Though i'm unsure if this was official or just a rumor. It's been finished since mid 2014 and they didn't seem to do much in the area for the last holiday season...

DisneyRoy

Wait, that old wacky bridge-over-World-Drive rumor is legit??

Looks like it. But that's all purple which was labeled as Infrastructure. So I'm guessing that's either employee parking or where they are moving the backstage areas that are becoming Toy Story Land.

*Q*

Looks like it. But that's all purple which was labeled as Infrastructure. So I'm guessing that's either employee parking or where they are moving the backstage areas that are becoming Toy Story Land.

I thought about Cast Member parking at first, too, but I can't imagine that building a bridge over World Drive and clearing that land would be a more simple solution than just making the garage large enough to have an Cast Member-exclusive level or something.

Could that rumored Hollywood-themed resort that was rumored to go around that same space and be connected to the park with a bridge over World Drive be defined as "infrastructure improvements?"

ToTBellHop

I thought about Cast Member parking at first, too, but I can't imagine that building a bridge over World Drive and clearing that land would be a more simple solution than just making the garage large enough to have an Cast Member-exclusive level or something.

Could that rumored Hollywood-themed resort that was rumored to go around that same space and be connected to the park with a bridge over World Drive be defined as "infrastructure improvements?"
What if it were a parking garage with shuttles to the main entrance?

What Martin has drawn is exactly what was described to me in August.

ToTBellHop

If they were shuttles, I don't think he would have drawn anything over World Drive.
Shuttles driving over a bridge spanning a major roadway? Like at Disneyland? It's easier to build parking across the street than a theme park land or resort. DHS already has resorts within walking distance that don't offer a view of a highway (a value value resort?). This isn't a 6th resort.

*Q*

Shuttles driving over a bridge spanning a major roadway? Like at Disneyland?

I mean, yeah, this seems to indicate that there will be a bridge constructed, but the park isn't really oriented in a way that any shuttles would be able to get from that bridge to the main entrance.

spaceghost

Getting somewhat back on track, I've put together how I understand things as it stands at the moment. I thought it may be easier to illustrate.

This is everything I'm aware as having been looked at. I can't vouch for anything still moving forward or not. I've also been deliberately vague with the exact extent of particular areas. Nor can I really go into greater detail about some of it.

View attachment 113217

Green - phase one
Red - phase two
Yellow - phase three
Blue - phase four
Orange - changes / enhancements
Purple - infrastructure
That is... fairly substantial. Seeing it laid out like that puts it in perspective. And to be clear, which parts of this are included in the budget we understand to be approved?

The Rocketeer

Getting somewhat back on track, I've put together how I understand things as it stands at the moment. I thought it may be easier to illustrate.

This is everything I'm aware as having been looked at. I can't vouch for anything still moving forward or not. I've also been deliberately vague with the exact extent of particular areas. Nor can I really go into greater detail about some of it.

View attachment 113217

Green - phase one
Red - phase two
Yellow - phase three
Blue - phase four
Orange - changes / enhancements
Purple - infrastructure
Am I correct in assuming that all of Echo Lake and it's surroundings (except Indiana Jones) are safe?

Haymarket2008

That map makes things super clear! My big question is how much space they'll have for future expansions after Phase 3-4. They're really taking up a ton of space with only 3 or so IP's.

AEfx

That map makes things super clear! My big question is how much space they'll have for future expansions after Phase 3-4. They're really taking up a ton of space with only 3 or so IP's.

Well, first - we are talking what, 2030 by then? LOL. So I don't think it's much of an immediate concern.

As to the amount of IP's, Star Wars can easily support an entire park of it's own, and Toy Story refuses to die, so I don't think that will be so much of an issue. It's not the MK that needs to represent so many different franchises. By then we will be looking at a 5th park, anyway.

doctornick

I dunno. If they are using up a chunk of parking (the CM parking lot no less) in the current lot and are expecting greater demand for parking -- DHS becomes a mess already when busy so a lot of additional parking is needed for guests than what already exists -- and they are getting rid of the parking deck within the park, then I think that location makes a ton of sense for CM parking. It's land "suitable for building", so it's just a matter of clearing the land, putting in a new parking deck and building an overpass into the park over the road. None of that is really all that complicated and it would be a good permanent solution to CM parking for the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom