DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

I would say whoever made that pitch for freaking STAR WARS doesn't know how to play any kind of ball, or even know what a ball is.

It seems kinda similar to the FLE in theory, only worse: Make a land that (presumably) is pretty and evokes a certain movie place, but have very little content. It may have been people learning all the worse lessons from Potter (though I do think Potter is light on rides as well, but at least they go all out for what they do build).

I mean, those ideas seem fine as the precursor to the real stuff you are doing for Star Wars. How could that have been the entirety of a pitch for such a land?

Bocabear

But in this current management of TDO it seems like they go out of their way to underwhelm the masses.
2.8 billion for DHS...it sounds good now but I have heard crazy budgets before....that end up getting cut and slashed and destroyed... Remember Disneyland's complete failure of a new Tomorrowland...they slashed the budget so hard that the one major ride they built went down permanently a year after opening, and then all that was left was a new paint scheme. Same thing happened with DCA 1.0...Eisner /Pressler budget cuts ruined the final outcome, and a failure of a theme park was born....(with still more attractions than DHS has now).. So when they throw that big number around, it may not be the real figure they are going to spend...plan on a budget cut coming... Avatar over runs will eat half the budget or some other such nonsense...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But in this current management of TDO it seems like they go out of their way to underwhelm the masses.
2.8 billion for DHS...it sounds good now but I have heard crazy budgets before....that end up getting cut and slashed and destroyed... Remember Disneyland's complete failure of a new Tomorrowland...they slashed the budget so hard that the one major ride they built went down permanently a year after opening, and then all that was left was a new paint scheme. Same thing happened with DCA 1.0...Eisner /Pressler budget cuts ruined the final outcome, and a failure of a theme park was born....(with still more attractions than DHS has now).. So when they throw that big number around, it may not be the real figure they are going to spend...plan on a budget cut coming... Avatar over runs will eat half the budget or some other such nonsense...
Two things.

1. "They" are not throwing around $2.8B. They made no promises along those lines. We happen to have some members of this community that have inside information of how things stand today, but Disney hasn't announced anything, so there's nothing for them to "cut" in terms of they-said-they-would-build-this-and-now-they're-not.

2. If Avatar runs over and eats half the budget, that's WDI's fault, not TDO's fault.

Goofyernmost

DHS currently has less than a third of the amount of rides as DCA... DCA has 12 more rides than Disney's Hollywood Studios... If you still consider DCA a half day park, you must consider DHS as a quarter of a day park I guess.
One hears that all the time and that may or may not have been part of why DHS has been slowly dying off. That park was never meant to be a ride park, it was meant to be a show park including showing how things were (loosely) done in actual movie making. ToT and RnRC were built to take up the slack when the studio aspect bought the farm. Since it was never meant to be a ride park, it became quite a challenge to find what could go in there and remain in theme.

Even the foolishness of changing the name is silly unless they completely change the look and contents of the park. By the looks of things it is still going to be "entertainment" focused incorporating shows with related rides. The studio's part is the part that is most misleading. Perhaps it will become "Disney At The Movies", that would make more sense, if not more difficult to say.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
One hears that all the time and that may or may not have been part of why DHS has been slowly dying off. That park was never meant to be a ride park, it was meant to be a show park including showing how things were (loosely) done in actual movie making. ToT and RnRC were built to take of the slack when the studio aspect bought the farm. Since it was never meant to be a ride park, it became quite a challenge to find what could go in there and remain in theme.

Even the foolishness of changing the name is silly unless they completely change the look and contents of the park. By the looks of things it is still going to be "entertainment" focused incorporating shows with related rides. The studio's part is the part that is most misleading. Perhaps it will become "Disney At The Movies", that would make more sense, if not more difficult to say.

I think you've nailed it right there. Its been a park with a confused focus for 20 years now. Give it a good makeover, bring back a parade or two, give it a nightly fireworks show and that should help take the heat off MK. IMO.

ULPO46

I think you've nailed it right there. Its been a park with a confused focus for 20 years now. Give it a good makeover, bring back a parade or two, give it a nightly fireworks show and that should help take the heat off MK. IMO.
The problem is the other two parks EPCOT and AK, just don't o enough to cut the pressure on the parks. This project will need to expand from the current boundaries. Perhaps the ever so persistent rumor of tearing part of the parking lot and add garages similar to DTD and Disneyland California. Even with the current plans I still have doubts the theming will help. I'm getting tired of calling Disney's Third gate something new every few years.

Mike S

It seems kinda similar to the FLE in theory, only worse: Make a land that (presumably) is pretty and evokes a certain movie place, but have very little content. It may have been people learning all the worse lessons from Potter (though I do think Potter is light on rides as well, but at least they go all out for what they do build).

I mean, those ideas seem fine as the precursor to the real stuff you are doing for Star Wars. How could that have been the entirety of a pitch for such a land?
Stars Wars Land at the very least has to be on the same level as WWoHP or, dare I say, exceed it. Blow us away with a major new ride and then package it in an incredibly immersive land. We know WDI can pull it off if they wanted to.

Brer Panther

They'll want to if it doesn't cost them too much money. That's why they chose to retheme Maelstrom instead of building a new show building for a Frozen ride.

ULPO46

Stars Wars Land at the very least has to be on the same level as WWoHP or, dare I say, exceed it. Blow us away with a major new ride and then package it in an incredibly immersive land. We know WDI can pull it off if they wanted to.
I'm sure if they really want to do so then they will. But I didn't feel warm and fuzzy about Fantasyland. It took too long to complete by my standards and really isn't that amazing. They should have waited for Frozen additions, this comes from an uncle who's nieces adore when I give them free tickets to the MK. They tell me even though they like Snow White and Ariel, it's not with frozen or Rapunzel. They used characters that have been at the MK for years, or in the case of the little mermaid, left the park for a while, instead of adding newer characters. But as of late I'm very disappointed with them trying to use what's within the budget. You know, John Hammond was based on Walt Disney, he used to spare no expense, clearly, TWDC no longer cares about giving a great product they just want to half a** everything and save money at the same time. If the reboot of the Star Tours was a sign of what is to come, boy oh boy not impressed. Although I was disappointed with the Hogwarts express. I thought it would be a full loop, not a cable pulley system that reverses into Kings Cross. But oh well the little ones enjoy it anyways.

Brian Swan

To say there's nothing to do in HS currently is a lie! Shows take up a good portion of the day, so unless you just really hate shows, there's still plenty to do.

Beauty and the Beast - 20 minutes
Great Movie Ride - 22 minutes
Indiana Jones - 30 minutes
LMA Extreme Stunt Show - 30 minutes
Muppet Vision 3D - 17 minutes
Voyage of the Little Mermaid - 17 minutes

That's almost two and a half hours of stuff to do.

Again, unless you've been a gazillion times or you just don't like to watch shows, there's honestly just enough to do to make it a half-day park. Going to Hollywood Studios just by looking at the map, one should easily be able to see that the park mainly consists of shows, not rides. High capacity theaters that can take up time, not to mention the few attractions on top of that.

Going to Hollywood Studios and not wanting to see the shows is like going to Epcot and not wanting to see the countries.
Ooo, ooo, oo! 2.5 hours of entertainment. That gives me 6 or 7 hours to eat and hang out in shops. Not a DHS "hater", but that was about the most damning "defense" that I have ever read...

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
The problem is the other two parks EPCOT and AK, just don't o enough to cut the pressure on the parks. This project will need to expand from the current boundaries. Perhaps the ever so persistent rumor of tearing part of the parking lot and add garages similar to DTD and Disneyland California. Even with the current plans I still have doubts the theming will help. I'm getting tired of calling Disney's Third gate something new every few years.

They need large, immersive experiences and entertainment to capture an all-day audience.

ULPO46

They need large, immersive experiences and entertainment to capture an all-day audience.
We know this, how ever the irony is, are they willing to spend the money and build this within the next 5 years. Highly unlikely, but it would be nice to see corporate allow their largest division more freedoms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom