DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Sue_Vongello

Yeah, its not like the old days anymore - All Team Disney Orlando does is to sail the ship, so to speak. Their job is to maintain the profit margin and hit the numbers.

I didn't know that ...
I agree with you, I'm pretty sure TSL will be behind TSMM.

Exactly what Phase 3 would be, dunno yet. (Phase 1 being TSL & Phase 2 being SWL.)

I think Phase 3 will be Chapter 4 in the 2020 Imagineering Book.

Lynn Stephens

I know we already have a lot to discuss with TSL & SWL, but I keep wondering what Phase 3 will be. I still think Frozen makes sense, but so does another Pixar themed land. Something that I haven't seen mentioned is an Indiana Jones Land. Keep reading before you laugh it off...IF Chris Pratt stars in a reboot of the franchise, that movie will make a lot of money. Like, sick amounts of money. Jurassic World was not a good film and made over a billion...Pratt could drive that franchise to being relevant to a new generation and justify bringing the IJL to DHS. I only bring this up because Tokyo, Paris and DLR have Indy attactions and it makes sense with a delay in announcing Phase 3. Let the film come out and see its box office.

Of course this is wild internet speculation!

ctrlaltdel

I know we already have a lot to discuss with TSL & SWL, but I keep wondering what Phase 3 will be. I still think Frozen makes sense, but so does another Pixar themed land. Something that I haven't seen mentioned is an Indiana Jones Land. Keep reading before you laugh it off...IF Chris Pratt stars in a reboot of the franchise, that movie will make a lot of money. Like, sick amounts of money. Jurassic World was not a good film and made over a billion...Pratt could drive that franchise to being relevant to a new generation and justify bringing the IJL to DHS. I only bring this up because Tokyo, Paris and DLR have Indy attactions and it makes sense with a delay in announcing Phase 3. Let the film come out and see its box office.

I would kill for an Indy ride at DHS. Indy at DL is one of my favorites.

Mawg

I disagree, Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones any other actor trying to play Indiana will turn people off and they won't want to see it. Ford is too old to play Indiana now. A reboot is doomed to failure as much as I liked the Indiana movies and would love to see them continue, they can't, their over. I do think we may see an Indy attraction, but it would be better based on the originals.

Lynn Stephens

I disagree, Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones any other actor trying to play Indiana will turn people off and they won't want to see it. Ford is too old to play Indiana now. A reboot is doomed to failure as much as I liked the Indiana movies and would love to see them continue, they can't, their over. I do think we may see an Indy attraction, but it would be better based on the originals.
Spielberg has mentioned many times how he would love to work directly with Pratt and Pratt has mentioned many times that he would love to play Indiana Jones. Hollywood loves to reboot and remake franchises. Again, this is pure speculation so we will have to wait and see.

Mawg

Spielberg has mentioned many times how he would love to work directly with Pratt and Pratt has mentioned many times that he would love to play Indiana Jones. Hollywood loves to reboot and remake franchises. Again, this is pure speculation so we will have to wait and see.
Not saying it won't happen, just saying, I think it will flop.

WDW95

Based on what we know so far, here is my educated guess on how they will re-work the park. Based on Disney theme park design, this seems like the only logical way to make the park have a cohesive master plan and over-arching theme.

The front half will remain largely unchanged, representing Hollywood and serving as the gateway to your favorite Hollywood stories that you can explore in the back half of the park. It will probably be similar to Epcot with 2 distinct halves that sort of relate to one another. In the diagram, the orange line represents the divide.

The Hollywood part of the park will most likely comprise of Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, half of Echo Lake, and part of the current Animation Courtyard. Animation Courtyard could be themed to be the "movie studio" of Hollywood and would have Disney Jr, a rework Animation exhibit based on DCA's (after the preview center closes) and an expanded show in Mermaid's spot using Mermaid's theater and the old One Man's Dream theater.

Gone will be the Jack Sparrow building and exhibit space of OMD. In its place will be a landscaped pathway that leads from the hub to Toy Story Land. This will provide separation from the "Hollywood" part of the park and the "worlds of Hollywood" part of the park. The current office building and parking garage will most likely be staying. Done the road, in lets say 20 years, they will probably tear it down and create a new land taking over the office building, parking garage, and Animation Courtyard.

On the other side of the park, the entrance road will most likely be moved toward the canal. Indiana Jones' theater would stay (though they may change the show) as would the Hollywood and Vine/Primetime Building. Echo Lake would also be preserved. Star Wars Land would be built south of Star Tours, building out to the new road and over the current SOA/Muppets/Premier Theater.

In order to get to Star Wars Land, there will probably be a new path leading directly from the Hub to accommodate the new crowds. Gone would be the Commissary, Hyperion Theater, Sounds Dangerous, and Sci-Fi Dine In. Echo lake could be expanded to prove better thematic separation between the Hollywood part of the park and Star Wars. In addition, it would finally provide the studios with a large body of water like every other park has.

In the back, southern part of the park, there is room for 2-3 more lands depending on the size.

Red represents the main circulation of the park, with the front Hollywood half having a kind of upside down "V" pathways and the back half being a circle.

dhs-jpg.106267

Attachments

• dhs.jpg
    dhs.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 749

Mawg

Based on what we know so far, here is my educated guess on how they will re-work the park. Based on Disney theme park design, this seems like the only logical way to make the park have a cohesive master plan and over-arching theme.

The front half will remain largely unchanged, representing Hollywood and serving as the gateway to your favorite Hollywood stories that you can explore in the back half of the park. It will probably be similar to Epcot with 2 distinct halves that sort of relate to one another. In the diagram, the orange line represents the divide.

The Hollywood part of the park will most likely comprise of Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, half of Echo Lake, and part of the current Animation Courtyard. Animation Courtyard could be themed to be the "movie studio" of Hollywood and would have Disney Jr, a rework Animation exhibit based on DCA's (after the preview center closes) and an expanded show in Mermaid's spot using Mermaid's theater and the old One Man's Dream theater.

Gone will be the Jack Sparrow building and exhibit space of OMD. In its place will be a landscaped pathway that leads from the hub to Toy Story Land. This will provide separation from the "Hollywood" part of the park and the "worlds of Hollywood" part of the park. The current office building and parking garage will most likely be staying. Done the road, in lets say 20 years, they will probably tear it down and create a new land taking over the office building, parking garage, and Animation Courtyard.

On the other side of the park, the entrance road will most likely be moved toward the canal. Indiana Jones' theater would stay (though they may change the show) as would the Hollywood and Vine/Primetime Building. Echo Lake would also be preserved. Star Wars Land would be built south of Star Tours, building out to the new road and over the current SOA/Muppets/Premier Theater.

In order to get to Star Wars Land, there will probably be a new path leading directly from the Hub to accommodate the new crowds. Gone would be the Commissary, Hyperion Theater, Sounds Dangerous, and Sci-Fi Dine In. Echo lake could be expanded to prove better thematic separation between the Hollywood part of the park and Star Wars. In addition, it would finally provide the studios with a large body of water like every other park has.

In the back, southern part of the park, there is room for 2-3 more lands depending on the size.

Red represents the main circulation of the park, with the front Hollywood half having a kind of upside down "V" pathways and the back half being a circle.

dhs-jpg.106267
I think you have misplaced the Star Wars land, move it in front of Star Tours.

WDW95

I think you have misplaced the Star Wars land, move it in front of Star Tours.

I don't think so. There has been no indication that it's going there. It makes absolutely zero sense for it to be placed in front of Star Tours when looking at the grand master plan of the park.

ToTBellHop

I don't think so. There has been no indication that it's going there. It makes absolutely zero sense for it to be placed in front of Star Tours when looking at the grand master plan of the park.
No one knows where it is going but that is one popular option, thus necessitating the apparent construction of a new parking garage.

Rodan75

We may be over-thinking the construction timeline. Corporate strategy isn't rocket science. Assuming the funding is all approved and the desire is to keep CapEx spending flat, that would mean no new construction crews. So current projects need to close out their current phases before the first phases can begin at DHS.

So I'm assuming as soon as MK Hub, Skipper's Cantina, Soarin' Expansion and Frozen Ever After are complete those teams/funding levels will move over to DHS for TSL. Then the question becomes which teams are moving to SWL from either Pandora or DS.

The key for those execs is keeping CapEx levels consistent as to not spook Wall Street further.

Evolution

Monsters door coaster, a Floridian RSR and a GotG LPS ride would put the park back into the big league again. Now THAT would be an announcement.

The LMA area can hold a lot.

I'd rather them just make the whole land Pixar and forget about Marvel, at least for now. Monsters door coaster, Incredibles LPS and instead of a RSR clone, a Paradise falls (Up) area. A rapids ride could be amazing.

Disneyhead'71

We may be over-thinking the construction timeline. Corporate strategy isn't rocket science. Assuming the funding is all approved and the desire is to keep CapEx spending flat, that would mean no new construction crews. So current projects need to close out their current phases before the first phases can begin at DHS.

So I'm assuming as soon as MK Hub, Skipper's Cantina, Soarin' Expansion and Frozen Ever After are complete those teams/funding levels will move over to DHS for TSL. Then the question becomes which teams are moving to SWL from either Pandora or DS.

The key for those execs is keeping CapEx levels consistent as to not spook Wall Street further.
That's not really how it works. Major construction will commence at the begining of the new fiscal year.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom