DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There was a time I was not cynical about WDW ... And I honestly wish I wasn't now, I don't want to be.

That being said if they aren't breaking ground until 2017 (ridiculous if true) then what that means it's not opening until 2020?

And why not break ground early next year? (Probably because they just announced something they don't have a plan for ... Dang stop it Sue ... Enough with the cynicism.)

I so want DHS to be good again ... And business wise if it languishs for another 5-6 years before anything opens that sounds like a big problem. It might be better to close it up for 1-2 years and let the contractors actually work and finish this.

Same here I count myself as a reformed pixie duster, WDW once was amazing at all times now It's what will Disney company cut NEXT!

Kman101

We currently have a level of growth and construction unseen in WDW in over a decade, and people are STILL grumbling. The mind boggles.

Because people set expectations that just won't be met so they're unhappy with the projects because it's not their ideal land/ride, not taking into account what a park needs. I also think as WDW fans we've had probably over a decade of next to nothing so I can understand the hesitation but I mean, ALL the parks and Downtown Disney are undergoing huge amounts of construction and investment. It's a great time. Finally.

Shaman

Because people set expectations that just won't be met so they're unhappy with the projects because it's not their ideal land/ride, not taking into account what a park needs. I also think as WDW fans we've had probably over a decade of next to nothing so I can understand the hesitation but I mean, ALL the parks and Downtown Disney are undergoing huge amounts of construction and investment. It's a great time. Finally.

It's all about not getting that instant gratification. Not only are we fans, but we're basically monitoring the company 24/7/365...and because we have insiders we know more than the average person and/or casual fan. So we get concept art on Star Wars, but we've known about this since forever and probably wont step into the 14 acres for another 5 years.

FLE, Disney Springs happened or is happening at a slower pace. So much expectations and hype gets built in between rumor-announcement-construction to opening. We're probably close to a couple of years away from Pandora. Then we have TSL and SW. People are already preparing for the worst. Ha.

Probably better for ones health not to keep such a close watch if you're impatient and/or have an over-active imagination. I've considered it.

Kman101

It's all about not getting that instant gratification. Not only are we fans, but we're basically monitoring the company 24/7/365...and because we have insiders we know more than the average person and/or casual fan. So we get concept art on Star Wars, but we've known about this since forever and probably wont step into the 14 acres for another 5 years.

FLE, Disney Springs happened or is happening at a slower pace. So much expectations and hype gets built in between rumor-announcement-construction to opening. We're probably close to a couple of years away from Pandora. Then we have TSL and SW. People are already preparing for the worst. Ha.

Probably better for ones health not to keep such a close watch if you're impatient and/or have an over-active imagination. I've considered it.

Oh, I get the frustration with the construction pace. It drives me nuts. We've known about Avatar since 2011. We're STILL two years away from it being done. It's insane. I mean, two years for things isn't entirely unreasonable but when we get told they spread things out over fiscal years, giving us 3.5 to 4 years ... it's frustrating because we know about these things. If we hadn't known most of what was announced it would have been a total overload. We've been hearing rumblings about a DHS makeover since at least 2009. It's like ... get on with it.

I like that Toy Story Land is far differnt than what I was expecting. It's grown on me a lot. But people are treating it as "that's it" and all we're getting when it's likely not. It's just coming sooner so it got announced.

That's why I'm groaning about Star Wars taking over Echo Lake at DHS. It's lazy and what they do. Disneyland isn't doing that even though many seem to believe Toontown is on the chopping block even when others say it now isn't. It just speaks volumes. It's not even about repurposing what's there, some of it will be no big loss to me but it just says a lot about how things are run and continue to be run.

They just have no urgency because they don't need to have it, unfortunately.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We currently have a level of growth and construction unseen in WDW in over a decade, and people are STILL grumbling. The mind boggles.
Maybe because some is lacklustre, some is in the wrong place and some can't be judged until completed given recent track records.

And some don't travel 4000 miles for a mall. No matter how pretty. I'm sure it'll all be lovely.

Kman101

But it's the same rhetoric though. This will get cut, well this REALLY isn't as good as it should be ... It's the same doom and gloom even though things are happening. It gets a bit tired hearing how amazing things will be elsewhere and how lackluster Florida will be.

And to be fair, Toy Story is lackluster because some just don't like the theming they are doing for it. Doesn't make it bad or not needed. That's a personal preference.

Disneyhead'71

But it's the same rhetoric though. This will get cut, well this REALLY isn't as good as it should be ... It's the same doom and gloom even though things are happening. It gets a bit tired hearing how amazing things will be elsewhere and how lackluster Florida will be.

And to be fair, Toy Story is lackluster because some just don't like the theming they are doing for it. Doesn't make it bad or not needed. That's a personal preference.
I like Toy Story. Not a huge fan of the Pop Century style of theming. But this is better than TSPL in HK or Paris.

Lynn Stephens

Didn't someone on this thread, maybe like 80 pages ago at this point, state that there is current demo going on behind TSMM? I recall reading that which would indicate that the demo stage has begun and TSL is on Pace for early 2018.

Now the comments about them waiting for Pandora to be completed before starting on DHS, that's silly. Pandora will have plenty of time to shine in AK without any competition. I don't think Disney is too concerned with one parks new land taking the limelight from construction in another park. It actually makes sense to build on the momentum; Pandora in 2017, TSL in 2018, SWL in 2019/2020. Something major each year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nope. LMA is going away. Judging from the building featured in the concept art LMA is the future home of the Slinky Dog coaster.

byebye_LMA.jpg

byebye_LMA2.jpg

I have been working under the assumption that it would behind TSMM, but when listening to the most recent Jim Hill podcast (yeah, I know people's feelings about Jim), he said it will be going in the LMA area. I am not taking his word as truth but it did get me thinking about this option that I hadn't considered before.

Things that make me thing this might be, 11 acres fits nicely in that area and the concept art seems to show the land having a roughly tri-angular shape towards the back which fits with the current shape of the back of the park.

Against this option, the TSMM building in the artwork does look like the side of the building and not the end, and this would put the main entrance backstage, although that would make some sense if additional Pixar areas where eventually coming.

I am still leaning towards it going behind TSMM, but I am not ruling out this option.

Capture.JPG

Sue_Vongello

Yes I can't stop ... I have a problem ... But no we don't have a lot of construction, we have a lot of "announcements" that will lead to construction.

The problem isn't "what they are doing" per se but "how" they are doing it.

They purposefully prolong construction schedules, slash budgets, and refuse to build attractions concurrently. The notion that Star Wars can't start construction until Avatar is complete is ridiculous for a company that just dropped 3 billion to data mine us.

And I don't think it's fair to say that we are wrong for "grumbling" when they let the parks degrade to a point of near catastrophic levels and then they announce something, very cool albeit, but with no time lines that gives us hope.

It's like a friend dying in the hospital and the doctor comes in and says, "good news we have a cure, it's still being made but it's coming ... in the future! We just have to finish some paper work first."

Okay great! I just hope my friend doesn't die before that.

Lynn Stephens

..Against this option, the TSMM building in the artwork does look like the side of the building and not the end, and this would put the main entrance backstage, although that would make some sense if additional Pixar areas where eventually coming.

I am still leaning towards it going behind TSMM, but I am not ruling out this option.

View attachment 106247
The way I am seeing the art is with TSMM on the bottom and the new entrance being under the bridge that every has pointed out. Seems the land is built behind it, not reaching too much into LMA leaving that space for another land...still thinking Frozen because it needs a bigger park presence (I don't care either way, but it has made more money for the mouse than anything the past 2 years.)

Lynn Stephens

They are waiting until 2017 to start construction because they have to increase capacity at DHS before they can drop in something like Star Wars Land.

Can you imagine over 12 million people showing up at a park with 7 rides?
Waiting for 2017 to start construction on what exactly? Star Wars? Yes, I can see that. TSL? That's starting VERY soon. You don't just shut down attractions and gut them so they can sit empty for 2 years before construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom