DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

WDW95

No one knows where it is going but that is one popular option, thus necessitating the apparent construction of a new parking garage.

It is exactly for that reason that Star Wars Land will most likely not be built there.

The Imagineers are much more creative and can think beyond the obvious.

Also there really is no need to build a parking garage as many believe. DHS can easily expand to the size of DCA, IOA, or even Disneyland without taking over the parking lot.

Rodan75

That's not really how it works. Major construction will commence at the begging of the new fiscal year.

Understood and agreed. And magically some projects will end by the end of the year and other projects will start at the beginning of FY 2016. CapEx may go up incrementally. But not exponentially so for new projects to start in FY 2016, current projects need to wrap up.

ToTBellHop

It is exactly for that reason that Star Wars Land will most likely not be built there.

The Imagineers are much more creative and can think beyond the obvious.

Also there really is no need to build a parking garage as many believe. DHS can easily expand to the size of DCA, IOA, or even Disneyland without taking over the parking lot.
Then the money required for infrastructure is much lower than rumored (not that I would complain about that) and there is much more coming to DHS.

YodaMan

Then the money required for infrastructure is much lower than rumored (not that I would complain about that) and there is much more coming to DHS.

Those mountains in the Star Wars concept art are massive. I know it's just a rendering and not indicative of any final plans, but I suspect that landscape was chosen for a reason. Most planets in the Star Wars universe don't have structures that tall and most show-building don't need to be that tall, so it makes sense if they chose large mountains to abut Star Wars land because they want them to hide something, such as a massive parking garage.

Magenta Panther

Well, there's that time you referred to Star Wars as old junk.

I'm so done with Star Wars.

These do not sound like the sorts of comments I'd expect from someone who likes Star Wars.

Well, let's clarify: I liked the first two films - I even own a copy of The Empire Strikes Back (it's a VHS tape, but at least it doesn't have those horrible "improvements" Clueless Lucas tacked on later). But as an entity, yeah, I'm pretty done with SW - because of the horrid prequels, which introduced lots of eye candy but no compelling new characters. I think that more than anything, the success of the original Star Wars was character-driven. What else did it have going for it, besides battles with giant glowsticks and the Force concept, which Lucas also ruined with all of that mitochondria nonsense in the Phantom Menace? I'm surprised anybody stuck with the series after that. What's its ongoing appeal, aside from nostalgia, and maybe the hope that somehow, some way, Star Wars the Movie Series can still be resurrected? It'll never be the way people remember it. I took one look at Harrison Ford in that trailer, and then again at D23, and as I've said before, I don't want to remember Han Solo as an old, OLD man. But maybe for some people the glowsticks will suffice.

I'm not going to apologize for saying that I'd like more Disney-created/adapted attractions in Disney parks. That's why I visit them. It's hardly an indefensible position, despite your attempts to fan it into another one of your "Notice me, dammit!" flamewars. Get a life.

Magenta Panther

True, but I like to think that Walt was a man who wanted to make money by giving guests their money's worth. That's the bone of contention with a lot of posters- whether or not today's offerings are giving them value for their vacation dollar.

Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.-Walt Disney

And the whole reason Iger bought Star Wars and Marvel was...to make money. That's the appeal for him. Creativity and originality had nothing to do with it. He cuts corners on rides based on genuine Disney-created/adapted concepts but gives 14 acres and whole lands to proven strong merchandisers (Star Wars and Marvel) and a flash-in-the-pan blockbuster like Avatar. Because to Iger, it's all about the brands, it's all about the bucks. He's the exact flip side of Walt.

WDW95

Those mountains in the Star Wars concept art are massive. I know it's just a rendering and not indicative of any final plans, but I suspect that landscape was chosen for a reason. Most planets in the Star Wars universe don't have structures that tall and most show-building don't need to be that tall, so it makes sense if they chose large mountains to abut Star Wars land because they want them to hide something, such as a massive parking garage.

More likely they are concealing the show building. Look at Avatar as an example. Rock n' Roller Coaster is an extremely tall building. Forbidden Journey is also pretty tall. A parking garage is relatively short in comparison. Remember Disneyland is also getting the same land, no need to conceal a parking garage there.

People need to forget about the idea of a parking garage. It is completely unnecessary. Even if the park is going to expand into the parking lot (but most likely will not need to as proven by the map on the previous page), it would be much more economical to expand the surface lot and rather than deal with an expensive parking structure with expensive footings and piles into poor soil.

I'd like to know where this parking garage rumor started as it is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard about this expansion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
More likely they are concealing the show building. Look at Avatar as an example. Rock n' Roller Coaster is an extremely tall building. Forbidden Journey is also pretty tall. A parking garage is relatively short in comparison. Remember Disneyland is also getting the same land, no need to conceal a parking garage there.

People need to forget about the idea of a parking garage. It is completely unnecessary. Even if the park is going to expand into the parking lot (but most likely will not need to as proven by the map on the previous page), it would be much more economical to expand the surface lot and rather than deal with an expensive parking structure with expensive footings and piles into poor soil.

I'd like to know where this parking garage rumor started as it is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard about this expansion.

The problem with expanding the parking lots is that you have to go out into land that is unsuitable for construction, which will increase the costs. It may end up being more economical to build the garage then to expand the lot.

ToTBellHop

It started with our resident insiders.

CaptainAmerica

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does the idea of "Toy Story Land" kind of put the general Pixar expansion rumors to bed? It looks/sounds/feels like they've committed to a very Toy Story-specific concept. I've seen several folks suggest that Toy Story Land could be a kind of "Phase 1" for Pixar expansion, but I feel like a land of this size would feel shoehorned into a larger related land.

WDW95

The problem with expanding the parking lots is that you have to go out into land that is unsuitable for construction, which will increase the costs. It may end up being more economical to build the garage then to expand the lot.

Possibly true. However, in my experience, it is more efficient to build retention ponds and build out rather than up. Parking garages are already more expensive than traditional lots. Add into the fact that the already poor soil under the existing lot will need to accept far more load than the surface lot thus still requiring more water management or expensive, deep piles. Land suitable for a surface lot now most likely is not suitable for the point loads of a garage.

ToTBellHop

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does the idea of "Toy Story Land" kind of put the general Pixar expansion rumors to bed? It looks/sounds/feels like they've committed to a very Toy Story-specific concept. I've seen several folks suggest that Toy Story Land could be a kind of "Phase 1" for Pixar expansion, but I feel like a land of this size would feel shoehorned into a larger related land.
This is just an idea not rooted in fact (though it has been mentioned elsewhere), but if you added a Monsters Inc land of a similar scale and a Carsland of a similar scale, you'd have a wonderful Pixar province. There is enough room.

Mawg

I agree, if this park does get another land, it will probably be based on other IP's, Indiana, Muppets, TV shows, GotG, Other classic Disney movies and less likely any more Pixar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Possibly true. However, in my experience, it is more efficient to build retention ponds and build out rather than up. Parking garages are already more expensive than traditional lots. Add into the fact that the already poor soil under the existing lot will need to accept far more load than the surface lot thus still requiring more water management or expensive, deep piles. Land suitable for a surface lot now most likely is not suitable for the point loads of a garage.

But a land that is not suitable for anything would definitely not be suitable for the point loads of a garage. DHS is pretty much landlocked by unsuitable land so it makes sense to stay within the current foot print as much as possible. I am not saying they are definitely building a garage, but it is not an outrageous idea.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

In The Toy Story Land presentation they said they are moving DHS away from the working studio theme and more into immersive themed lands, so to me it makes sense to have separate Pixar lands each focusing on a different movie. The budget that has been thrown around, the space available, and the current rumors all point to there being more then Star Wars and Toy Story coming to DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom