DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Things to note:

The bare minimum was revealed. Here is a situation when "under promise, over deliver" is applicable. Th only thing not being undersold is the level of detail and immersive environments. When the new Avatar area opens in DAK, you will have a new basis to compare to and it will be stunning in and of itself.

*1023*

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Elaborately themed bathrooms, meet and greet locations, Disney Vacation Club kiosks and a Disney Chase Visa photo opportunity?

Some people are never happy. All the negative people where saying little to nothing would be announced at D23. Now that it has you still have to say negative stuff. Time to say Disney has turned things around at Walt Disney World.

SpaceMountain77

Some people are never happy. All the negative people where saying little to nothing would be announced at D23. Now that it has you still have to say negative stuff. Time to say Disney has turned things around at Walt Disney World.

It was a humorous reply meant to evoke a smile and laugh. I am sorry that you did not find humor in the post.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Speaking of the resident "Negative Nancys", where is our favorite New Kid on the Block? I seem to remember him stating nothing would be announced at D23 amongst some other less than flattering observations. I often wonder about some of the extreme "Doom and Gloomer's" that give my party a bad name...

For review, 2 anchors for each "new" land have been announced. These "new" areas will contain immersive themeing including the very occupants within. Many folks have been telling you it was coming and in just 5 years or so, you can experience it and more for yourself.

*1023*

UpAllNight

The press ramped up the pressure and expectations about a Star Wars reveal which makes me believe Disney's hands were forced. It might also explain why no insiders seemed confident on a reveal even in the days leading up.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Welp, I'm glad you Star Wars fan boys and Avatar nerds got what you wanted. Or MAY get what you want (accountants waving cleavers approach - beware!

But for someone who liked two of the original SW movies and was bored by the third. and was SO bored by the first "prequel" that he avoided the remaining two, this D23 announce-fest was a definite meh.

So...the Art of Animation, an building dedicated to the art that BUILT the Disney company, goes bye-bye.

So does One Man's Dream, a tribute to the guy that made ALL of the Disney parks, and Iger's big fat golden parachute, possible.

And Frozen, an original Disney adaptation that was a world-wide phenomenon, gets shoehorned into a tiny ride at Epcot. And Toy Story gets a piddly mini-land for the Romper Room crowd.

But Avatar and Star Wars? They get fully-realized LANDS, because they're two off-studio IPs that have NOTHING to do with Disney that Robert Iger *purchased*. Because the dollar, not creativity, is what Iger understands.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, you guys. Look what happened to New Fantasyland. Cut, cut, cut until the new offerings became underwhelming and one Disney film had to be content with a freaking BATHROOM.

The decline of Disney continues. Sad to see.

If cuts happen than you can say I told you so; till than maybe you should give Disney benefit of the doubt at this time. Are you not one of those that little or nothing would be said at D23
Wrong once probably wrong now.

LuckyOswald

I can't imagine anything new themed to Bug's Life - a 20 year old film that wasn't a huge smash-hit on release that most kids have probably never seen? Nope, far better to make a playground themed to a more recent film, something like Zootopia perhaps.
That's a good idea. I was trying to think of something that would take little effort as far as retheming. Just think Honey I Shrunk the Kids will be pretty out of place after all this is opened. The original movie is already 26 years old :p

HmagicN

I'm wondering if there is truth to those rumours coming out before D23 that Star Wars got bumped up a bit and we are going to see Toy Story -> Star Wars -> Final Pixar Land in 2021.

We can pretty much rule out something we've heard about at this point in the distant past. No Door Coaster or indoor RSR.

The other likely option is that this really wasn't the DHS Re-do coming out party. We only heard about Star Wars because they wanted to talk about it for Disneyland anyways and we heard about Toy Story because they had to have something to tide over the closures.

I think the latter is more likely. They have said themselves that we are approaching a complete makeover of Hollywood Studios. It woudl be too risky to have the park go under the knife any more without risking a drop in attendance. I have a feeling that once Toy Story Land goes into construction or maybe even before, Disney will announce in some form that they have big plans to follow. They will not give details out so soon but I have a feeling that they will start to tease us. Isn't that what they do best? So in conclusion, I believe you are right, the number one question is when will we hear more.

TalkingHead

Things to note:

The bare minimum was revealed. Here is a situation when "under promise, over deliver" is applicable. Th only thing not being undersold is the level of detail and immersive environments. When the new Avatar area opens in DAK, you will have a new basis to compare to and it will be stunning in and of itself.

More like "vaguely promise." Disney doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with me anymore. I'm gonna need a little more than a few pieces of blue sky concept art and a TBA opening date.

As for Avatar, was an opening date mentioned over the weekend? I know 2017 has been previously rumored. The big question mark for Avatar is the E-ticket. How impressive is it going to be? The backstory for the land is totally hokey and unnecessary. And I still can't tell if the floating mountain effect will be convincing, but at least they're trying something ambitious. Hope it impresses the less devout fans.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I think the latter is more likely. They have said themselves that we are approaching a complete makeover of Hollywood Studios. It woudl be too risky to have the park go under the knife any more without risking a drop in attendance. I have a feeling that once Toy Story Land goes into construction or maybe even before, Disney will announce in some form that they have big plans to follow. They will not give details out so soon but I have a feeling that they will start to tease us. Isn't that what they do best? So in conclusion, I believe you are right, the number one question is when will we hear more.

Well, this summer has drawn record crowd levels to DHS that are rather unheard of in recent memory. Frozen is drawing better this summer than last summer.

They still lead in off-peak crowds, too.

rnese

Things to note:

*1023*
Things to note:

*1023*
I couldn't agree more. There will be more as they'll want to throw the public a little bone in some future expos. One example of course will be "Star Wars The Musical", complete with line dancing Empirical Storm Troopers!

I kid of course, but if I had to bet, there will be another attraction or two. Small of course, but something to absorb some crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom