DHS-First to worst. Can I get an amen?

Sigmundooze

What is the pond/lake area with the dinosaur supposed to be? I've always wondered (LeBrea sp? Tar Pits?) It takes up a lot of room and doesnt seem to be well themed to me and well taken care of (the dinosaur is rotting and the water was coca cola colored).

BTW I think the park is themed very well it just needs more but the same could be said about all the parks needing more stuff with the exception of maybe MK after the FL redesign.

IMO TOT is the best themed and most fun ride in all of WDW

EPCOT Explorer

I believe you. And I may look around with that in mind. But that's really besides the point. Every other park has more of a feeling of coherence. Even MK who's theme is "magic" or something all-inclusive like that, the lands are so well-defined that it works.

At first glance, DHS just feels like stuff Disney picked up at a licensing garage sale and plopped down wherever they had room.

If the structure that makes the theme make sense is so hidden that even Disney fanatics have to go out of there way to find it, the park is bound to come across as unstructured to the average tourist. (Most of whom won't care cause they just want to ride rides anyway.)

It is. It's just the great "spirit" or vibe of the place that holds it all together. It still has that going for it.

lebeau

It is. It's just the great "spirit" or vibe of the place that holds it all together. It still has that going for it.

Yeah, I agree. I still like DHS a lot. I just feel it falls way short of what it could be if it had more of a unified theme or at least better themed lands.

As much as I enjoy the vibe of the Hollywood that never was, that pretty much falls away after the hat. And I get irritated any time I am supposed to believe we are filming a movie (or that a 30 year old guy was Harrison Ford's stunt double in 1980.)

Also, for us it has pretty much become a half-day park. We've seen all the shows and they don't have much in the way of repeatability. Our kids are too young for the thrill rides. So, we're basically left with GMR, the playground and Muppets. (TSM too if we get FPs).

More dark rides and a strengthened theme would take it from a park I still enjoy (but don't spend a lot of time in) to one of my favorites again.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, I agree. I still like DHS a lot. I just feel it falls way short of what it could be if it had more of a unified theme or at least better themed lands.

As much as I enjoy the vibe of the Hollywood that never was, that pretty much falls away after the hat. And I get irritated any time I am supposed to believe we are filming a movie (or that a 30 year old guy was Harrison Ford's stunt double in 1980.)

Also, for us it has pretty much become a half-day park. We've seen all the shows and they don't have much in the way of repeatability. Our kids are too young for the thrill rides. So, we're basically left with GMR, the playground and Muppets. (TSM too if we get FPs).

More dark rides and a strengthened theme would take it from a park I still enjoy (but don't spend a lot of time in) to one of my favorites again.
Agreed in full. New rides would help balance out the surplus of shows it has.

dvm258

I'm really surprised everyone here seems to dislike DHS so much. More than the Animal Kingdom? That's the park I think that needs work!

DHS has some excellent attractions in it, TOT, RNRC, Star Tours, LMA, Great Movie Ride, TSMM, Muppets, Idol, etc. There's so much! One of my most vivid Disney memories as a kid is playing in the Honey I Shrunk the Audience Play Area, and that's still around too. The Animal Kingdom, on the other hand, doesn't really have much to do at all. There's Everest, Dinosaur, River Rapids, Safari, but not many notable attractions beyond that. I'm a seasonal passholder in the Orlando area, and when I go to Disney I always go to DHS, Epcot, and MK. I only visit AK if I feel I have the time because of its lackluster offerings. They're very good offerings, BTW, but there aren't enough of them.

_Scar

I'm really surprised everyone here seems to dislike DHS so much. More than the Animal Kingdom? That's the park I think that needs work!

DHS has some excellent attractions in it, TOT, RNRC, Star Tours, LMA, Great Movie Ride, TSMM, Muppets, Idol, etc. There's so much! One of my most vivid Disney memories as a kid is playing in the Honey I Shrunk the Audience Play Area, and that's still around too. The Animal Kingdom, on the other hand, doesn't really have much to do at all. There's Everest, Dinosaur, River Rapids, Safari, but not many notable attractions beyond that. I'm a seasonal passholder in the Orlando area, and when I go to Disney I always go to DHS, Epcot, and MK. I only visit AK if I feel I have the time because of its lackluster offerings. They're very good offerings, BTW, but there aren't enough of them.

Everest
Kali
Safari
Dinosaur
Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo: The Musical
Flights of Wonder
It's Tough to be a Bug
Primeval Whirl
several trails

For a 10 year old park, it's not that bad. Especially with Disney's take on ow new parks should look.

EPCOT Explorer

For me, it's not dislike at all. I just want to see it at it's full potential.

Walt Disney1955

I still love DS. I put it 2nd among the top 4 WDW parks. There is something for everyone there and there still is the Disney feel to it as well as the Hollywood feel. Yes the Hat should go. But good things are coming. Star Tours is getting revamped. And I am sure American Idol won't be there forever and something better will get in there.

Yes more of the Small World type rides wouldn't hurt. Maybe another thrill ride. But to me there is still a lot of mystique at that place

dshimel

I thought the "working studio" thing very thin. No park can compete with Universal Studios Hollywood. More so, none should really try. Heck, even USH is doing all they can to de-emphasize the "working studio" aspect and enhance the theme park rides and shows.

The sound stage, the sound effects, the "how movies are made".... meh!

Now... as for declining over the last 10 years.... What has the park gotten? Lights, motors, action! Is that all in the last 10 years?

Oh, a new name and BUH.

As for calling DCA diseased? No.

DCA opened as a half park with lame themes and far too few good attractions. However, in the last 8 years the park has made mass improvements, and many more on the way.

I was one of the most vocal critics of the park when it opened. But since they are now doing the almost total makeover that the park so badly needed, I now have little to complain about.

Okay, I don't like ride vehicles on walkways. The food court will still need work. The factories should go. Still room to improve the farm....

But it is so much better than when it opened.

sponono88

I thought the "working studio" thing very thin. No park can compete with Universal Studios Hollywood. More so, none should really try. Heck, even USH is doing all they can to de-emphasize the "working studio" aspect and enhance the theme park rides and shows.

The sound stage, the sound effects, the "how movies are made".... meh!

Now... as for declining over the last 10 years.... What has the park gotten? Lights, motors, action! Is that all in the last 10 years?

Oh, a new name and BUH.

As for calling DCA diseased? No.

DCA opened as a half park with lame themes and far too few good attractions. However, in the last 8 years the park has made mass improvements, and many more on the way.

I was one of the most vocal critics of the park when it opened. But since they are now doing the almost total makeover that the park so badly needed, I now have little to complain about.

Okay, I don't like ride vehicles on walkways. The food court will still need work. The factories should go. Still room to improve the farm....

But it is so much better than when it opened.

Aw, why! The Red Trolley Cars will look great! :) And the farm will no longer exist once Cars Land comes along. At least that's what I think will happen based on the current plans. Mater's ride will take that spot.. Missed opportunity I guess - I think more could have been done with the farm/agriculture theme.

I don't think the factories are going anywhere any time soon. They make the sourdough bread/tortillas that are served in Pacific Wharf. Also, I don't think they can remove them since they're attached to the kitchens of both restaurants. They're fun little walkthrough exhibits.. I like them. And you get the added bonus of free sourdough bread and freshly-made tortillas :D

Krack2

Is DHS the East Coast DCA?

DHS is lightyears ahead of DCA. DCA has no coherent theme. None. It's theme is, "We tried to recreate everything else in California so you don't leave our resort area when you come to the state on a vacation."

Santa Monica Pier
Cannery Row
Universal Studios
Redwood National Forest
Air Station Miramar

Each one got a weak land. That's not a cohesive theme; that's a poorly designed money grab. The cash infusion will help a little, but I still think they are throwing good money after bad. If ever there was a perfect spot to build the "Evil Kingdom/Villains Kingdom" concept that gets tossed around every once in awhile, this was it.

That said, there is no question that DHS lost a lot of luster when it stopped actually being (or at least pretending to be) a working studio. I still say they should force all Disney Channel shows into filming there, I don't care how much extra it costs. I still like DHS better than AK, though.

EPCOT Explorer

DHS is lightyears ahead of DCA. DCA has no coherent theme. None. It's theme is, "We tried to recreate everything else in California so you don't leave our resort area when you come to the state on a vacation."

Santa Monica Pier
Cannery Row
Universal Studios
Redwood National Forest
Air Station Miramar

Each one got a weak land. That's not a cohesive theme; that's a poorly designed money grab. The cash infusion will help a little, but I still think they are throwing good money after bad. If ever there was a perfect spot to build the "Evil Kingdom/Villains Kingdom" concept that gets tossed around every once in awhile, this was it.

That said, there is no question that DHS lost a lot of luster when it stopped actually being (or at least pretending to be) a working studio. I still say they should force all Disney Channel shows into filming there, I don't care how much extra it costs. I still like DHS better than AK, though.

The thing is, isn't DCA getting a few billion to fix all that? :lol:

10Magic

Still My Favorite

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but DHS has been my favorite park for many years. The addition of TSMM and Idol enhances it even more, although I do miss Millionaire. My family also loves DHS. Maybe it's because there's a lot less walking.

Animaniac93-98

Toy Story Midway Mania, Block Party Bash, American Idol, all-new Playhouse Disney, One Man's Dream, changes big and small to Tower of Terror, Disney Animation and soon to be Star Tours. Millionaire's and Stars and Motorcar's runs etc.

The answer simply put, is no.

devoy1701

DHS is still my all time favorite park. Between the Atmosphere and its headliner attractions...even the not so headliner attractions like One Man's Dream and the Animation Academy class.

I love hanging out in DHS.

dshimel

As opposed to DHS's theme of "Please don't leave our resort to go visit Universal Studios across town."?

And parks have to have a coherent theme? Wow, you must think that MK sucks with its European medival castle, United Sates old west, world of tomorrow, cartoons, turn of the centrury small town.

I patently reject the idea that a park must have a single unifying theme. I submit that a park can be awesome as a set of unrelated "really cool places to go but can't easily go to in real life, with a set of really fun things to do, but can't easily do outside of a theme park".

AND, that was the problem with DCA when it opened. It has a collection of themes that were things you could easily see ourside of a theme park but had little to no desire to actually see. Airport, farm, mountains, unthemed amusement park, food court, old (I mean historic) industrial district... It let us do things we could easily do other places, like ride a roller-coaster-themed-roller-coaster, a raft-ride-themed-raft-ride, watch plants grow, watch a history lesson, generic swing ride, generic S&S tower, generic wild mouse coaster.

Add in some WDW clones like ITTBAB and Animation and season with ONE really cool, unique, magical ride called Soarin' Over California.....

This is not the makings of a good Disney theme park.

However, since opening, they've added ToT, Bugs land, Aladdin, better parades, bugs overlay of the farm, Playhouse Disney, Monster's Inc, TSMania, Turtle Talk. The retheme of the pier looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to World of Color.

The final transformation with Aerial's, Carsland, etc all look WONDERFUL.

No single coherant theme, but same can be said for Disneyland... the single best theme park in the WORLD, and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom