DHS CARS LAND

Goofyernmost

Nope. Silly was the right word. Downright silly really. Unless you have been living under a rock in terms of watching WWOHP 2.0 developments, it's pretty obviously going to be worlds better than again, one outdated shark and a land without much substance otherwise. So silly your post was, and silly it remains.
Well, aren't you a sweetheart!

bubbles1812

Well, aren't you a sweetheart!
Thanks! *waves* and *shrugs*

We've seen the concept art. We've seen a run down of the ride tech and new rides. We've seen the behind the scenes and construction picks. What is more is that we've already seen what Universal does with HP, which was/has been praised the world round for ALL of its elements. So sure, if you want me to throw you a bone and say I only have 99.999999999999... % certainty that it is going to be better so that you are technically right, I can give you that. But your post still looks really silly even in that context.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Here here! There is no M&G that will ever compare with an attraction...period. My last trip to the Magic Kingdom we waited in a VERY long line to meet tinkerbelle...what a lackluster set...and a hum-drum experience. I would have much preferred ANY attraction over that experience. I have also done the M&G for the princesses and for Ariel in the past... none of them were particularly magical... In the end it just comes off as Disney extracting maximum profit and delivering cheap.

What did your child think though, meet and greets are positioned to attract children. I would figure very few adults would prefer a meet and greet to an attraction, me included but a seven year old may get much more out of the meet and greet than a ride on Space Mountain.

Bocabear

She was bored and cranky waiting in that ridiculously long non-moving line....This is where they need some queue enhancements...not just a room with a line... She perked up for a minute when she met Tink, then was very ready to go on a ride. In the end she would have been happier riding three attractions in the time it took to meet Tink...

lazyboy97o

What did your child think though, meet and greets are positioned to attract children. I would figure very few adults would prefer a meet and greet to an attraction, me included but a seven year old may get much more out of the meet and greet than a ride on Space Mountain.
The Disneylands were not designed as kiddie parks. Vicarious enjoyment is the opposite of their intent.

The Empress Lilly

Disneylands were designed for people who freely use words like vicarious in conversation. :)

Alas though, Walt's beautiful 'all the family enjoys it together' concept is converted into conveyor belts that produce family misery on an industrial scale. Parents are miserable half of the time, but endure it because they think the kids are in kiddie heaven. The kids are underwhelmed or even bored, but are dragged along because the parents paid so much money for the magical experience. Then the entire cranky family has an in-fight at the monorail or back at the hotel.

Which family still understands the art of letting the kids run riot at Tom Sawyer Island while the parents catch some rest at the deck chairs at Aunt Polly's? Oh wait, you couldn't anymore even if you wanted to! Off to the next fastpass window it is, no, there's a 16:15 lunch reservation across the park, no, first the magic+ 15:55 m&g with princess giftshop they build in place of the former family favourite ride!
But earlier that morning Johnny ran all the way and back again to the mountain at the other side of the park to get fastpasses and now we're not going to use them, poor thing, he's inconsolable!

Turtle

agree
im trying to figure out what they would do besides Door Coaster..it cant be a land like Cars land
It easily can have more. Door coaster, harryhausens restaurant, University campus tour dark ride where you're caught in the midst of a prank war, Tony's Grossery, street theming, Laugh Floor

FigmentJedi

It easily can have more. Door coaster, harryhausens restaurant, University campus tour dark ride where you're caught in the midst of a prank war, Tony's Grossery, street theming, Laugh Floor

Maybe combine that University Campus tour ride with Ride and Go Seek from Tokyo.

afar28

I'd say they're different enough experiences that it'd be okay. For starters, Monsters Inc has physical sets instead of a bunch of flatscreens set up with a glorified version of Carnival Games for the Wii.
Yet people pay 90 dollars and wait on a 2 hour lime for a 5 minute version instead of paying 10 bucks for the game for unlimited playtime, with no waits!
TSMM=good ride but insanely overrated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If attraction A costs, for example, $10,000 a day to run and can handle 2000 guests per day, and attraction B costs the same to run but can handle 10,000 guests per day, wouldn't you say that the park is getting more value from attraction B then attraction A?

Agreed the cost per guest in example A is more but that assumes the meet and greet and ride both have the same costs. My assumption is that the cost for a meet and greet is much less than a ride so if example A is the meet and greet and costs $1,000 a day and handles 2,000 guests the cost per person is half that of example B. Now an expensive ride/attraction with low capacity is problematic.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agreed the cost per guest in example A is more but that assumes the meet and greet and ride both have the same costs

The problem is you are ignoring the context of where the impression counts...

Remember Ops favors ride counts above all else (including show standards). This is the mentality in the kingdom. Obviously a M&G suffers in that stat.

Now look at the staff costs associated with a M&G.. a simple attraction can be ran with the same amount of people and crush those guest numbers of the M&G.

If what I care about is my labor costs and guest counts... M&G look god awful to me.

You're focusing too much on absolutes and forget this is all about short-term thinking and maximizing guest counts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem is you are ignoring the context of where the impression counts...

Remember Ops favors ride counts above all else (including show standards). This is the mentality in the kingdom. Obviously a M&G suffers in that stat.

Now look at the staff costs associated with a M&G.. a simple attraction can be ran with the same amount of people and crush those guest numbers of the M&G.

If what I care about is my labor costs and guest counts... M&G look god awful to me.

You're focusing too much on absolutes and forget this is all about short-term thinking and maximizing guest counts.
Then why all the added meet and greets at WDW. You can't tell me TDO is adding what they perceive to be more expensive less profitable attractions. If meet and greets looked awful from an expense standpoint compared to a high capacity ride I suspect WDW would be filled with twice as many rides and very few meet and greets.

You are also ignoring the maintenance aspect. Let's assume that it takes the same number of cast members to operate a ride that it does to operate a meet and greet (no clue if that's the case - can a high capacity ride be opearted by 3 people?). The salary cost for front line CMs may be the same. What about the behind the scenes labor costs relating to maintenance, safety inspections and other overhead. Must be a lot higher for a ride and that's just labor. All that maintenance work has parts and materials expense related to it too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom