DHS CARS LAND

NoChesterHester

The problem with the backlot tour is that it only had 1 action scene, catastrophe canyon. The reason the tram tour is so popular in Universal Hollywood is because there are multiple action sequences between the boring stuff like looking at sets. They have an Earthquake, King Kong, Jaws attacking the tram in the lake, etc. I saw concept art for a Journey to the Center of the Earth segment that was proposed for the backlot tour and it would have been awesome and given people more incentive to ride the backlot tour but they didn't greenlight it. I get the feeling that Disney just wasn't all that serious about it and just had the ride because it gave the park a Studios feel.

Were there any other proposals to add show scenes to the backlot tour? I'd be curious to know.

Lets not ad show scenes to a tour that goes through a "studio" that isn't a studio and doesn't produce anything.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The problem with the backlot tour is that it only had 1 action scene, catastrophe canyon. The reason the tram tour is so popular in Universal Hollywood is because there are multiple action sequences between the boring stuff like looking at sets

No - the difference is UNI's tour had things that were interesting to see.. actual production, etc. The # of ride elements on the tour at Hollywood is largely just because everything is rolled into one basically. DHS's tour was fantastic originally - it's just virtually nothing left interesting to see anymore through reductions and alterations of the park.

And you still have the special effects portion of the show.. it's just the special effects haven't changed since the 90s.. :/

It's really hard to fathom just how little is left of the original tour.. and how different the park is vs it's opening.

Californian Elitist

The problem with the backlot tour is that it only had 1 action scene, catastrophe canyon. The reason the tram tour is so popular in Universal Hollywood is because there are multiple action sequences between the boring stuff like looking at sets. They have an Earthquake, King Kong, Jaws attacking the tram in the lake, etc. I saw concept art for a Journey to the Center of the Earth segment that was proposed for the backlot tour and it would have been awesome and given people more incentive to ride the backlot tour but they didn't greenlight it. I get the feeling that Disney just wasn't all that serious about it and just had the ride because it gave the park a Studios feel.

No, the USH tour is popular because it's an actual, working studio that's been around for almost a century.

Captain Neo

Lets not ad show scenes to a tour that goes through a "studio" that isn't a studio and doesn't produce anything.

6644.Tram_2D00_Tour_2D00_5.jpg

5707.Tram_2D00_Tour_2D00_9.jpg

5050.Tram_2D00_Tour_2D00_10.jpg

A few show scenes like that could have made the ride a true e-ticket that people would be willing to stand in line for but just having the tram tour rely on Catastrophe Canyon for 20 years it's no wonder everyone is bored with it.

emaginear

I believe they are waiting to see how PLANES does at the box office. I could see the backlot going away to build new ride/land based around PLANES and CARS. Could be the suspended coaster ride we have heard about for years now is to be a ride based on PLANES and not the monsters door scene ride. A Dualing PLANES Race!

ToTBellHop

I believe they are waiting to see how PLANES does at the box office. I could see the backlot going away to build new ride/land based around PLANES and CARS. Could be the suspended coaster ride we have heard about for years now is to be a ride based on PLANES and not the monsters door scene ride. A Dualing PLANES Race!
Not when Planes bombs...

C'mon...it has an August release date. August is the month bad movies go to. To die. People need to give up on this disney-produced quasi-sequel to a Pixar movie that already has had a bad sequel.

Goofyernmost

Carsland could also go in DHS's parking lot, or elsewhere . . . by and large, Disney rarely completely removes whole buildings, even when taking out an attraction.
OMG, do you own a portion of the damn parking lot that you are going to sell to Disney just as soon as they decide to build Carsland in it. It seems almost like an obsession. There are a lot of better places to put it other than in a parking lot. Old buildings that no longer have a purpose are better torn down and replaced with something useful, then with taking something that is already useful and using it for something else.

emaginear

OMG, do you own a portion of the damn parking lot that you are going to sell to Disney just as soon as they decide to build Carsland in it. It seems almost like an obsession. There are a lot of better places to put it other than in a parking lot. Old buildings that no longer have a purpose are better torn down and replaced with something useful, then with taking something that is already useful and using it for something else.

The parking lot is reserved for the expanded Star Wars land / attractions. :)

WDWDad13

I believe PLANES will surprise a lot of people.

if it's anything like Cars 2 you're right it will surprise a lot of people in that is was... mediocre at best

I've seen the previews for it (Planes)... honestly, it just doesn't have the same feel Cars 1 had/has

doctornick

Not when Planes bombs...

C'mon...it has an August release date. August is the month bad movies go to. To die. People need to give up on this disney-produced quasi-sequel to a Pixar movie that already has had a bad sequel.

I doubt it will bomb. Are there other family friendly movies coming out then? I mean, it's August, the kids are out of school -- it's definitely an easy outing for parents one day, especially with the link to an already established and very popular IP.

And while Cars 2 might not have been critically acclaimed, I think it hit perfectly for the target market. The box office and merch figures I suspect made everyone at Pixar and Disney very pleased.

SirLink

if it's anything like Cars 2 you're right it will surprise a lot of people in that is was... mediocre at best

I've seen the previews for it (Planes)... honestly, it just doesn't have the same feel Cars 1 had/has

Its the reason why it moved from direct-to-DVD to cinemas as a direct result of how it was testing.

I, personally felt Cars 2 was way better than Cars. Actually Cars 2 is better than quite a few modern Disney films released in the last few years...

coolbeans14

If Cars was Disney, cars 2 would have been very well received. But because cars is Pixar, people expected toy story 3 of radiator springs. Pixar may (and kind of has already) become a victim of its own success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom