DHS CARS LAND

JustInTime

That sounds highly annoying to me... I love kids, but I don't want to hear them screaming through an entire show. Now if it were just to "start" the show... Ok, I could live with that.
Well, the current format of the lights already do this. Only now it's with Phineas and Ferb. The crowd would only cheer at the beginning of each wave to power the city and once it stars, no more interaction would be necessary.

Sped2424

Nothing, I liked them when I was a kid - at least the Sesame Street ones - but they haven't stood the test of time for me the way most Disney creations have. I think most people feel the same way. *shrug*

I am sure you feel that way I just wouldn't attribute that to most people. If they are still around they must be resonating with a group of people out there.

JimboJones123

EXACTLY!!!!

Get PIXAR OUT ALL THE PARKS AND BUILD A PIXAR PARK.....

Replace pixar attractions with, Tangled, Princess & frog, Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, Mulan, Aladdin, TRON, and all the older nostalgic films!!!!
You are very angry. Until Disney Animation gets a film to seriously break $200 million in the box office, you are going to just get more upset. Tangled broke it by just a pinch. The closest behind that was Ralph with $189 million then way back at Tarzan with $171 million.

There were 10 Pixar movies that made more since Tarzan. Additionally, outside of Tangled, none of the other movies from Disney Animation have brought in any additional merch $ than the Pixar films.

Face it, Disney Animation has been much more of a loser for the company than a winner. Remember Home on the Range? Treasure Planet? Chicken Little? Bombs. Seriously, the company would have been bought by Comcast long ago if Pixar did not carry it with TS2 and Finding Nemo.

Show a little respect.

JimboJones123

That's my exact point. The complaint is that Snow White is being replaced with a meet and greet. Snow White may not have been an E ticket but it still cost money to operate and maintain. The meet and greet costs little to operate. Mine Train will be expensive to operate and maintain. My point is you can't keep everything that currently exists plus add a new e- ticket every 2 years. Universal gets a pass when Jaws closes because they have land restrictions and the space is needed for new rides. Disney gets criticism from the fan base any time a ride closes.
Universal does NOT get a pass closing Jaws. They would have been better off closing ET, Barney, and the play park,, but it did not work logistically with the Hogwarts Express. There was a pretty hefty outcry about Jaws closing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have heard from several members on here that meet and greets are actually very expensive to operate :eek:

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but how could a meet and greet be expensive to operate? You have a location set aside with a CM dressed in costume and a few handlers. Labor costs can't be more than a ride which has multiple cast members too and you have no mechanical maintenance or safety costs. I guess if its an indoor location you have electricity for AC and lights, but that can't be nearly the cost of running electricity for a ride.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Universal does NOT get a pass closing Jaws. They would have been better off closing ET, Barney, and the play park,, but it did not work logistically with the Hogwarts Express. There was a pretty hefty outcry about Jaws closing.

Maybe so, but not much in these parts that I have noticed. I don't frequent the Uni sections of this board so I could just have missed it. I'm not against tradition and I would love to keep everything old and get new attractions, but its just not practical.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Part 1 OK, why not? It's not like Disney is out of operating capital. They have the room, so really there is no reason to close it. Did the Mine Train go in the place of Snow White's Adventure? Not one square inch of the old Snow White ride was taken over by the 7 Dwarfs, Under the Sea, BOG, or the rest of NFE. No!...it had no reason to be pulled out, in fact being in close proximity of the 7 Dwarfs ride it actually made more sense to keep it. But, that didn't happen. As soon as I hear Iger say that he won't be taking his customary multiple millions in bonus, then I will say that Disney can't afford to run more then one ride at a time.

Part 2 There is a very good reason why the fan base gets upset every time a ride closes. It doesn't have too!

Each ride or attraction has individual costs to operate. If MK was adding costs to operate new rides in LM and Mine Train they subtracted the cost of Snow White to even the spending out some. They are still adding costs in net. As others pointed out Snow White wasn't super popular and didn't have a cult following like COP or Country Bears so they could get away with shutting it down. Disney has more than enough land to build a new E ticket every year for the next 50 years if they wanted. It's not about lack of space or the footprint of an attraction it's the costs of maintaining and operating 50 additional E tickets. This is also probably why they are replacing attractions at DHS with new ones instead of expanding into the parking lot or across the highway.

bubbles1812

Maybe so, but not much in these parts that I have noticed. I don't frequent the Uni sections of this board so I could just have missed it. I'm not against tradition and I would love to keep everything old and get new attractions, but its just not practical.
I was sad when Jaws went, but what I think helped was that we will be getting a truly awesome replacement product. So I would say I do give Uni a bit of a pass in that sense. It's no Stitch replaces Alien Encounter for instance. If we were getting a crappier replacement then Id have issues but all signs point to that not being the case at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was sad when Jaws went, but what I think helped was that we will be getting a truly awesome replacement product. So I would say I do give Uni a bit of a pass in that sense. It's no Stitch replaces Alien Encounter for instance. If we were getting a crappier replacement then Id have issues but all signs point to that not being the case at all.

Totally agree with that. Disney closing rides and letting the buildings rot is unacceptable. Replacing older, less popular rides with fresh new ones should be considered a good thing. The hard part is figuring out which are "less popular" when the classics have such a powerful nostalgia draw. It will be interesting to see fan reaction to DHS if all of the proposed changes happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom