DHS CARS LAND

prfctlyximprct

Im all for any rides they will give us. I remember seeing a post about how most Disney world goers are single twenty something's. Sorry for my lack of statistics but any ride they add will be an upgrade to me!!

Yensid1974

I'm am not seeing the issue with height restrictions at DHS. If you look at the current lineup of "attractions" there are 18, or more accurately 17 leaving out ABC Sound Studio which is claimed to be opened seasonally. Of those 17, as far as I can tell from the DHS park map, a grand total of 3 have height restrictions. You can argue they need more "rides" as opposed to shows if you'd like (and I'd agree) but it seems as if they already have a much higher percentage of attractions that are available to people of all heights than those that aren't.

Ignohippo

The only problem I have with height restrictions is the type of attractions they are. A height restriction on Rock n Roller Coaster is fine; height restrictions for rides based on movies for little kids is not.

Having ride restrictions on rides based on Cars and Snow White is a complete joke.

Turtle

The only problem I have with height restrictions is the type of attractions they are. A height restriction on Rock n Roller Coaster is fine; height restrictions for rides based on movies for little kids is not.

Having ride restrictions on rides based on Cars and Snow White is a complete joke.
Why do you ride off those films for little kids? I think they're for all families

Cosmic Commando

I'm am not seeing the issue with height restrictions at DHS. If you look at the current lineup of "attractions" there are 18, or more accurately 17 leaving out ABC Sound Studio which is claimed to be opened seasonally. Of those 17, as far as I can tell from the DHS park map, a grand total of 3 have height restrictions. You can argue they need more "rides" as opposed to shows if you'd like (and I'd agree) but it seems as if they already have a much higher percentage of attractions that are available to people of all heights than those that aren't.
But if you look at rides, and let's be honest: most of us go for the rides...
No height restriction - Great Movie Ride, Toy Story Mania, Backlot Tour
Height restriction - Star Tours, Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror

Really, DHS just needs more of everything except stage shows. The fewest attractions of any domestic Disney park.

AndyMagic

There is nothing wrong with some form of height restriction on rides that appeal to the entire family. Rides like Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, and Dinosaur have height restrictions but I would still say they are "family" rides. I'm of the opinion that theme parks are best enjoyed by children who are old enough to appreciate them anyway. I'm always puzzled by parents who bring their 2 or 3 year-olds to Disney World. My parents did that and I have ZERO memory of it. Five years old and up is the ideal for visiting theme parks and many 5 year-olds are tall enough to experience rides with height restrictions in the 40'' range.

Cosmic Commando

There is nothing wrong with some form of height restriction on rides that appeal to the entire family. Rides like Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, and Dinosaur have height restrictions but I would still say they are "family" rides. I'm of the opinion that theme parks are best enjoyed by children who are old enough to appreciate them anyway. I'm always puzzled by parents who bring their 2 or 3 year-olds to Disney World. My parents did that and I have ZERO memory of it. Five years old and up is the ideal for visiting theme parks and many 5 year-olds are tall enough to experience rides with height restrictions in the 40'' range.
Yeah, and why take 2 and 3 year olds to the zoo or the playground or to see Santa-- they won't remember it anyway when they're old? Because it's fun?

doctornick

There are only 6 rides at DHS. 3 have height restrictions. One of the three without height restrictions (Backlot Tour) is reportedly being axed. Is there any surprise that the one truly kid friendly ride at the park -- TSMM -- routinely has 120 minute waits? Two rides that a typical 3 year old can ride in an entire park doesn't strike me as reasonable (not to mention the non-thrill ride riding adult).

I'm all for non-ride attractions. But it's a theme park and rides are a huge part of the experience. And DHS totally lacks rides that everyone can enjoy. I'm not even talking about rides specifically geared to kids -- there needs to be more stuff that on par with PotC or HM in style and scope.

doctornick

I can only guess that you do not have children. Because I can assure you that 2 or 3 year olds can have an absolute blast at Disney. I mean, my oldest son at age 2 when he met Mickey couldn't contain himself and actually fell down when jumping around excited.

Plus, 5 is a pretty high cutoff. My 4 year old son (who is short for his age) made the 40" cutoff this year. And he absolutely loved the "thrill" rides at DL, lke Thunder Mountain and Star Tours and certainly RSR. He can't stop talking about Splash Mountain and if you think he "can't remember", I would love you to meet him as he talks about the "little hill" (Slippin' Falls) and then the up and down in the dark and the "big waterfall". He also made sure that when we repeated the ride, that he sat up front so he could see everything.

Also, I vividly remember not being allowed to go on Space Mountain when I was 3 years old -- and crying about it until the poor CM let me go on anyway (must have been much more lax about height restriction enforcement in the 70's).

Taking a young child to WDW can certainly be a hassle in some ways and I can see that as being a reason to not do so, but the idea that they wouldn't get something out of it is pretty absurd IMHO.

AndyMagic

I can only guess that you do not have children. Because I can assure you that 2 or 3 year olds can have an absolute blast at Disney. I mean, my oldest son at age 2 when he met Mickey couldn't contain himself and actually fell down when jumping around excited.

And I can assure you that your child will have no recollection of meeting Mickey at the age of 2. I don't doubt that he seemed happy at the time but it isn't something that he will remember when he becomes older. Not to be rude, but a 2 year-old will be happy with a piece of string and a glass of a milk. It doesn't take much.

AndyMagic

Yeah, and why take 2 and 3 year olds to the zoo or the playground or to see Santa-- they won't remember it anyway when they're old? Because it's fun?

Taking a 2 year-old to see Santa is a little different than spending thousands of dollars to bring them to a theme park. That said, I've seen countless young children PETRIFIED of Santa at the mall while their parents forced them to participate.

Cosmic Commando

And I can assure you that your child will have no recollection of meeting Mickey at the age of 2. I don't doubt that he seemed happy at the time but it isn't something that he will remember when he becomes older. Not to be rude, but a 2 year-old will be happy with a piece of string and a glass of a milk. It doesn't take much.
YOU may not remember meeting Mickey, but your parents remembered the look on your face and how excited you were. It's not all about you. :rolleyes:

Cosmic Commando

Taking a 2 year-old to see Santa is a little different than spending thousands of dollars to bring them to a theme park. That said, I've seen countless young children PETRIFIED of Santa at the mall while their parents forced them to participate.
No argument on either point there, really. If you're bringing a child to WDW only for them, you may have a point. However, my whole family enjoys the parks. It's not something we're doing just because we have kids. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip to WDW just because you think you "should", then I think you should probably wait until they can ride most things.

spacemt354

Chili's
But if you look at rides, and let's be honest: most of us go for the rides...
No height restriction - Great Movie Ride, Toy Story Mania, Backlot Tour
Height restriction - Star Tours, Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror

Really, DHS just needs more of everything except stage shows.

If rides are the only things that matter, then DCA's ratio of height restriction/no height restriction should be addressed. Out of the ridable attractions (not shows/walk throughs) DCA has 11 rides with height restrictions and 9 rides with no height restrictions. I haven't heard any complaints regarding this ratio. Adding rides with no height restriction to DHS for the sake of adding them I think would have a negative effect. I can't see any justification for bringing in an attraction on caliber with Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, simply to increase the ride count and offer something for everyone. I feel alot of people (me included) would be thinking that were creating Dinorama 2.0 if that happened.

Personally any rides, height limit or not, would be welcome, but DHS is not all about the rides. The shows are a main part of it. People can go to DHS only for the rides, but they will probably have completed the park by lunchtime. Those are the people who claim it is a half-day park, and by those figures they are correct. But they are missing out on a major part of the park. The live shows. The Little Mermaid is fantastic. So is BatB and Indy. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing LMA, Indy, or American Idol being removed in favor of attractions, but I also feel there needs to be a presense of shows in DHS. A lot like Epcot and Animal Kingdom, I don't just go from one ride to the next. I like to take advantage of the unique qualities of the park like the themes, the music, the walk through attractions, the food, and the shows. Do I hope for some more attractions? of course. I would love to see Carsland, a Monsters Inc Coaster and maybe an Indy ride one day in DHS. That would be awesome. But to be honest I'd take anything that will make the overall appeal of the park better, whether that be height restrictions or no height restrictions.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I dont have a problem with any of the scenes, I just want to look at a clear picture of it! The scenes are so fuzzy its embarrassing!

True, true. An update to HD would be a nice touch. It's always been fuzzy though, not sure why. I remember seeing it right after MGM opened and thinking it was fuzzy, and that was 20+ years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom