DHS CARS LAND

doctornick

Monstropolis wasn't even mentioned by WDW1974 and a couple people in the know also. That meant Monstropolis is fiction.

I don't think the necessarily true. People have said that three different proposals are on the board, so it's quite possible that Monsters Inc is included in some way in one of them. Also, it's been well established that the door coaster has bee considered/planned in the past and was being looked at as part of expansion now. Also, insiders have estabished that a Monstropolis section is being considered for DCA, so it's not a huge stretch to think they might plan something for both coasts simultaneously (which saves money).

Also, in general, the plans for DHS seem fluid. I don't think anyone knows exactly what they are except the higher level decision makers (and they might not even be final at this point). So, writing off something that is plausible and likely under consideration as "fiction" is probably too extreme.

HMF

I'm all for any and all of the Pixar expansions (excited actually), but I think DHS also needs to go back to it's roots and come up with something related to Hollywood, Movie Making etc. I mean if we tear down the backlot etc, to build these lands (which I'm perfectly ok with) but don't add anything else related to the parks intended theme, is it reallly "Hollywood Studios" anymore or is it "Disney's Pixar Park"?. I think a lot of people would say this is the problem that EPCOT's Future World has suffered over the years as it has slowly shifted away from it's core theme.
Personally I would prefer Pixar Attractions to have their own land/park since it would keep them out of Future World and Tomorrowland.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
When compared to the almighty Cinnamon Bun...Snow White hardly got any static at all. (Honestly, it never was that great.) Most of the complaints were because they were replacing Snow White with a meet and greet. That's almost criminal.:eek:
I know it's almost sacrilege, but you're right - SWSA was never really that great. The only reason we rode it was because there was hardly ever any kind of wait. I doubt people would have raised such a hue and cry if it had been replaced with another dark ride.
Now the cinnamon buns ....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When compared to the almighty Cinnamon Bun...Snow White hardly got any static at all. (Honestly, it never was that great.) Most of the complaints were because they were replacing Snow White with a meet and greet. That's almost criminal.:eek:
That's my exact point. The complaint is that Snow White is being replaced with a meet and greet. Snow White may not have been an E ticket but it still cost money to operate and maintain. The meet and greet costs little to operate. Mine Train will be expensive to operate and maintain. My point is you can't keep everything that currently exists plus add a new e- ticket every 2 years. Universal gets a pass when Jaws closes because they have land restrictions and the space is needed for new rides. Disney gets criticism from the fan base any time a ride closes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Eh? Where do you get the "if construction starts in 2013, it will be open in 2015" @CinematicFusion? It's taking them four years to build a relatively simple coaster... The projected dates Ive seem for any of these projects, should they actually get built, has been no earlier than 2016, with most saying 2017 is more likely,

If the mine ride opens on schedule it will have taken 2 1/2 years to build. If they started building something in DHS in the next couple months, it could be done by the end of 2015. I don't believe for a second that that will actually happen, but it is possible if they wanted to.

I don't want to sound negative, but I think AVATAR is a waste of time and money, I also will be HIGHLY disappointed if we get a CARS area and a MONSTERS area........Hollywood studios will become Pixar Studios, and I just think NO -please don't forget what this park is all about!

If they want to add lots of Pixar attraction can't they just make a PIXAR PARK - take out pixar from Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom and Studios and give them their OWN home!!!! Save some money for a few years and replace the lot once a new park is nearly completed.

I know pixar is relevant for a lot of Kids (and adults) in the current day - but replace their attractions with classic animated/live action movie attractions. For example, Tangled, Princess & the Frog, Frozen, Mulan, Pocahontas, Aladdin....etc

It may all be about money and 'whats hot' but I think for the longevity and Nostalgia factor to keep the 'older' guests wanting to return.

AVATAR to me is just a joke...... The film is Pocahontas set in the future.........

Pocahontas isn't exacly a Disney creation either

RSoxNo1

That sounds highly annoying to me... I love kids, but I don't want to hear them screaming through an entire show. Now if it were just to "start" the show... Ok, I could live with that.
It's a thematic tie. I agree that I don't want to hear people screaming while walking through the lights, but if it's to kick them off that works for me.

Edit: Also, thanks for merging all the threads.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If the mine ride opens on schedule it will have taken 2 1/2 years to build. If they started building something in DHS in the next couple months, it could be done by the end of 2015. I don't believe for a second that that will actually happen, but it is possible if they wanted to.

Pocahontas isn't exacly a Disney creation either
To take this a step further something would have to open by 2016. The project would have to be built and opened in phases. If Star Wars is first and that means Indy and possibly some other attractions would close they would need to open Star Wars before closing BLT and LMA for Pixar. No way they could close everything at once and build simultaneously. If it opens in phases and is complete by 2018 the first phase opening the end of 2015 or 2016 makes sense.

doctornick

To take this a step further something would have to open by 2016. The project would have to be built and opened in phases. If Star Wars is first and that means Indy and possibly some other attractions would close they would need to open Star Wars before closing BLT and LMA for Pixar. No way they could close everything at once and build simultaneously. If it opens in phases and is complete by 2018 the first phase opening the end of 2015 or 2016 makes sense.

The easiest things to open would be to put something in Sounds Dangerous or in Soundstage 1, since they are currently essentially unused.

CinematicFusion

No worries. But that headline is obviously sensationalist and false.

It is sensationalist...might not be false if they go with the total of all lands and use today's dollars (not counting inflation) as a means to justify largest expansion ever, there is always room for spin. Find out if it is false in August...but it is sensationalist.

Magenta Panther

Theres TOO MUCH Emphasis on Pixar characters in ALL the parks IMO

"Too much"? Yet you want the Muppets to get their own land and new attraction? Pixar is a powerhouse that has enriched both the Disney coffers and its legacy for quality and innovative entertainment. More than those cast-off has-beens will ever do, in my opinion. I think we need more Pixar in the parks, especially in DHS. Monstropolis sounds awesome. And where are the Incredibles? What a great dark ride THAT would make. JMHO.

Goofyernmost

That's my exact point. The complaint is that Snow White is being replaced with a meet and greet. Snow White may not have been an E ticket but it still cost money to operate and maintain. The meet and greet costs little to operate. Mine Train will be expensive to operate and maintain. My point is you can't keep everything that currently exists plus add a new e- ticket every 2 years. Universal gets a pass when Jaws closes because they have land restrictions and the space is needed for new rides. Disney gets criticism from the fan base any time a ride closes.
Part 1 OK, why not? It's not like Disney is out of operating capital. They have the room, so really there is no reason to close it. Did the Mine Train go in the place of Snow White's Adventure? Not one square inch of the old Snow White ride was taken over by the 7 Dwarfs, Under the Sea, BOG, or the rest of NFE. No!...it had no reason to be pulled out, in fact being in close proximity of the 7 Dwarfs ride it actually made more sense to keep it. But, that didn't happen. As soon as I hear Iger say that he won't be taking his customary multiple millions in bonus, then I will say that Disney can't afford to run more then one ride at a time.

Part 2 There is a very good reason why the fan base gets upset every time a ride closes. It doesn't have too!

JiminyandTink

Personally I would prefer Pixar Attractions to have their own land/park since it would keep them out of Future World and Tomorrowland.

That's a really good point. And having a dedicated section in DHS does make sense to me too (since a 5th gate for PIXAR is very unlikely), I just hope they can do it without losing the complete theme of DHS. Maybe if they could just bring back a working studio of some sort as part of a PIXAR expansion, that would be good.

NoChesterHester

"Being looked at" is so nebulous in these stories. Of course it is "being looked at." The design phase encompasses all kinds of what if scenarios. I'm sure Monstropolis is "being looked at" along with Car Land. I'm sure they "looked" at Brave, Bugs Life, Up, Wall-E, and other Pixar properties a well.

These stories get a whiff of "looked at" and the headline gets everyone whipped into a froth.

For example; we were recently building a pretty large project in an existing neighborhood. The owners inquired about purchasing the adjacent property, which was housing a small wine bar. The headline in the news the next day was "___ Looks to Close Down Popular Neighborhood Spot."

Well... It was looked at.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Part 1 OK, why not? It's not like Disney is out of operating capital. They have the room, so really there is no reason to close it. Did the Mine Train go in the place of Snow White's Adventure? Not one square inch of the old Snow White ride was taken over by the 7 Dwarfs, Under the Sea, BOG, or the rest of NFE. No!...it had no reason to be pulled out, in fact being in close proximity of the 7 Dwarfs ride it actually made more sense to keep it. But, that didn't happen. As soon as I hear Iger say that he won't be taking his customary multiple millions in bonus, then I will say that Disney can't afford to run more then one ride at a time.

Part 2 There is a very good reason why the fan base gets upset every time a ride closes. It doesn't have too!

When you build something new instead of replacing you permenantly increase your operating costs which cuts into your profits. This doesn't mean you should never build new, but with the size that WDW currently is they need to be sure anything completely new is going to pay for itself in the long run.

Sped2424

I have heard from several members on here that meet and greets are actually very expensive to operate :eek:

Sped2424

"Too much"? Yet you want the Muppets to get their own land and new attraction? Pixar is a powerhouse that has enriched both the Disney coffers and its legacy for quality and innovative entertainment. More than those cast-off has-beens will ever do, in my opinion. I think we need more Pixar in the parks, especially in DHS. Monstropolis sounds awesome. And where are the Incredibles? What a great dark ride THAT would make. JMHO.

I just really wanna know what the muppets did to you lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom