DHS CARS LAND

PeterAlt

I hear whispered rumours of a DHS pod racing ride not based on TT/RSR, but on Shanghai's Tron.

I agree Tatooine makes the most sensible location for a SW land. Personally, I might opt for a Death Star interior. If ever there was a change for a fully immersive, large scale land that is indoors it is SW land. Think of how easy and cheap it is to just build a few painted walls in a soundstage, as opposed to expensive rockwork / plants / buildings. All you need are a few windows with projections of stars and ships docking and space battles, and it will look great too!
Here's some real blue sky thinking but what about Coruscant?

PeterAlt

Pod racing FTW... monorails... don't tell @PeterAlt! haha
Went to boring Lion Country Safari with family yesterday. While driving through the safari, I was thinking a monorail drive through would be better. Then, I starting thinking, ...

"Hey, that's a perfect excuse to get monorail to Animal Kingdom... Build it through the safari to see the animals... "

The Empress Lilly

Went to boring Lion Country Safari with family yesterday. While driving through the safari, I was thinking a monorail drive through would be better. Then, I starting thinking, ...

"Hey, that's a perfect excuse to get monorail to Animal Kingdom... Build it through the safari to see the animals... "
They had that at Busch. A hanging monorail over the savannah.

Busch+Gardens+3+(2).jpg

PeterAlt

Would be cool. But is Coruscant developed enough in the movies, and is it recognisable enough?

I think if you were to let unsuspecting guests walk around in Coruscant Land, they'd mistake it for Blade Runner. Or Hong Kong. Or Batmans's Gotham.
Something tells me they'll be cloning Shanghai attractions at WDW. They'll start building them here simultaneously with the beginning of Shanghai construction. When does construction there start?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Busch Gardens Tampa has this, as does The Bronx Zoo.

OSUPhantom

I bet it's Tatooine. It makes sense for a number of reasons:

1) It was a featured location in 4 of the 6 films. If any one place says "Star Wars" it's that one.

2) It's depicted as a polyglot of cultures, truck-stopping aliens, charming rouges, dangerous gangsters, imperial officers and Jedi all could be seen walking about there. Not really true about Hoth or Endor. This not only widens storytelling possibilities, but it leaves wiggle room for new Episode 7-9 species / vehicles to be dropped in once they are know to the world.

3) While you could say that Courasant or possibly Bespin are just as wide open for diverse storytelling, that location is too much of just another clean shiny Tomorrowland. WDW already has one (or two if you count Future World). The resort needs more weathered, aged, escapism - Tatooine is ideal for that kind of placemaking.

4) While it kinda sucks that a podracing attraction would make the lame Episode 1 the new headlining E-ticket for a park saluting the greatest of Hollywood, it has the potential to really fit cutting edge theme park tech: Think building your own pod (a la TT2.0), variability from a real for real race against other racers (if its one big video game simulator) or, while we're dreaming, a Kuka arm attached to Radiator Springs Racers... Could be mind blowing.

As much as it pains me (because I really don't want pod racing) you're right. Tattoonie is the most prevalent location. The movies began there (New Hope) and ended there (Ending of Revenge). However I believe that limiting it to one planet would really limit the potential of a universe that is truly huge. I still think that out of an E-ticket I'd want more than a scene that I personally despise. There's so much more you can do with Star Wars and I think that would be limiting.

PeterAlt

They had that at Busch. A hanging monorail over the savannah.

Busch+Gardens+3+(2).jpg
They had one too at Miami Metro Zoo. It wasn't hanging, though. It's a perfect excuse to build it because it would be an animal related attraction as well. It would also be a shortcut, cutting through the park to get to either MK or DHS.

Turtle

As much as it pains me (because I really don't want pod racing) you're right. Tattoonie is the most prevalent location. The movies began there (New Hope) and ended there (Ending of Revenge). However I believe that limiting it to one planet would really limit the potential of a universe that is truly huge. I still think that out of an E-ticket I'd want more than a scene that I personally despise. There's so much more you can do with Star Wars and I think that would be limiting.
Well we could have different planets serving the lands on different resorts (Endor in DL, Coruscant in Paris, Hoth in Shanghai, Tatooine in WDW, etc.). And the e-ticket can easily go into space and to different planets like Harry Potter

Turtle

I was thinking that but do you think it'd be too much like Star Tours? Jumping from planet to planet?
I'm not sure. I've always had the concept of the EMV motions meet Space Mountain [the darkness] meets Harry Potter's storytelling meets Dueling Dragons interactivity.

So essentially you're in the battle of Yavin and you choose to join the Rebels or Empire and you get on an X-Wing or Ti-Fighter

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since the Carsland thread has turned into a Star Wars thread, I'll jump in.

The e-ticket should be a Star Wars Dark ride. DHS has its thrill rides. Do something for the whole family. Here's my idea:

The area would be themed to Tatooine. Next to the Mos Eisley Cantina would be a full size Millennium Falcon which would be the ride. You enter the Falcon and the queue winds through the inside of the ship showing various show scenes from the movie. Luke learning the force, Chewbacca playing chess, etc... This would be an attraction in and of itself. When you finally get to the ride part you would sit down in the main driving compartment and blast off. You would come out of hyperspace in the asteroid field and then get sucked into the Death Star. This part would be all screen based. Your ride vehicle would then leave the Falcon and travel through several scenes inside the Death Star with the Darth Vader/ObiWan fight scene being the big finish.

Probably belongs in the armchair imagineering section or something, but this thread kinda jumped the rails anyway so I figured why not post it:).

NoChesterHester

What I'm wondering- is there any chance still of CARS LAND coming to DHS? (since that is the thread title and all)

The past couple pages have been nothing but rampant speculation. We have heard from our insiders that there are three major design schemes being developed. What will actually get built at this point is still unknown.

doctornick

I bet it's Tatooine. It makes sense for a number of reasons:

1) It was a featured location in 4 of the 6 films. If any one place says "Star Wars" it's that one.

2) It's depicted as a polyglot of cultures, truck-stopping aliens, charming rouges, dangerous gangsters, imperial officers and Jedi all could be seen walking about there. Not really true about Hoth or Endor. This not only widens storytelling possibilities, but it leaves wiggle room for new Episode 7-9 species / vehicles to be dropped in once they are know to the world.

3) While you could say that Courasant or possibly Bespin are just as wide open for diverse storytelling, that location is too much of just another clean shiny Tomorrowland. WDW already has one (or two if you count Future World). The resort needs more weathered, aged, escapism - Tatooine is ideal for that kind of placemaking.

4) While it kinda sucks that a podracing attraction would make the lame Episode 1 the new headlining E-ticket for a park saluting the greatest of Hollywood, it has the potential to really fit cutting edge theme park tech: Think building your own pod (a la TT2.0), variability from a real for real race against other racers (if its one big video game simulator) or, while we're dreaming, a Kuka arm attached to Radiator Springs Racers... Could be mind blowing.

I pretty much agree with all this stuff. If there are going to pick one world for a Star Wars themed area, then Tantooine makes the most sense, given the prevelence and importance in the movies of that world. It also would be a fun area to develop, completely different from other lands in the WDW parks. Not only because of the desert/landscape but also the building appearances are relatively unique; I would agree that someplace like Coruscant (generic futurustic urban landscape) or Endor/Kashyyyk (generic forest) wouldn't be that unique.

I'm not thrilled with a pod racer ride, but if that comes to pass, so be it. It could certainly be a fantastic offering.

As an aside, if Tantooine comes to frutuition, they better have an AA Jabba (or other Hutt) somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom