DHS CARS LAND

|Q|

That's incorrect. Universal held the distribution rights to both the Ang Lee film in 2003 and the Incredible Hulk film starring Ed Norton in 2008. While the 2008 film was produced by Marvel, they signed into an agreement with Universal to distribute much like how Sony distributes Spider-Man. The deal in place was an exclusive distribution deal and had nothing to do with an ownership of the character which is why it wasn't an issue for Disney to use Hulk in the Avengers. My question is, if Marvel wants to make another Hulk movie, are the distribution rights still in Universal's hands or was the 2008 film a one-off?

No. The first Hulk was PRODUCED by Universal, whom leased the rights to the character from Marvel, just like Sony is still licensing Spidey and Fox the FF and the mutants. Distribution deals aren't character based.

|Q|

There is a separation between live action and animated, yes. But breaking down the live action sub-set, there are separate deals for tv vs feature as well. It's standard in the industry to try to keep everything with walls, as there's more money to be made.

I wonder then if they can use mutants, adamantium and the Daily Bugle in the SHIELD tv show. Would be a cool backdoor for introducing them in the MCU without breaking the movie rights.

articos

I wonder then if they can use mutants, adamantium and the Daily Bugle in the SHIELD tv show. Would be a cool backdoor for introducing them in the MCU without breaking the movie rights.
I don't know enough about X-men's universe, but if they were in the comics, they should be useable in any format. If it's something specific to the movies that were created for the movies, there may be some rights issues, but considering Marvel owns the underlying rights, anything for the movies should be able to be used in other Marvel projects. So, very likely, yes.

Now there may be some story reasons why they don't want to cross the mediums, but that's creative, not legal.

righttrack

I have girls but I wonder what new is being built to keep boys excited about going. Certainly there are things but most new things are somewhat female-oriented. Cars land may be the missing link. My best friend went to DL and CA and couldn't believe how popular and nice Carsland was. I say bring it on!

SirLink

A lot considering that there are only about 4 people on the planet that give a rat's butt about Marvel. Or any other of the steroid laden superheros of the comics. But I could be wrong! :eek:

Well considering Avengers numbers, apparently your wrong...

But getting back 'On Topic' ... I'm more interested in what comes as a result of a DHS Makeover than any Cars Land

misterID

We have a Pixar place at the studios and the land that would fit it perfectly. It would be odd if they didn't build Carsland. And from what I remember, I think Lasseter said at one time this ride was meant to be cloned for other parks. I don't have a problem with it and I sure wouldn't be opposed to something this cool being greenlit.

AndyMagic

No. The first Hulk was PRODUCED by Universal, whom leased the rights to the character from Marvel, just like Sony is still licensing Spidey and Fox the FF and the mutants. Distribution deals aren't character based.
I'm aware of that. Did you read my post? I specifically said it was a distribution deal in 2008 and that The Avengers was able to include the Hulk because the character rights belong to Marvel. However, should Marvel want to produce another Hulk film, I have a feeling Universal will have first refusal for distribution rights unless Disney makes an arrangement with them like they did with Paramount.

|Q|

I'm aware of that. Did you read my post? I specifically said it was a distribution deal in 2008 and that The Avengers was able to include the Hulk because the character rights belong to Marvel. However, should Marvel want to produce another Hulk film, I have a feeling Universal will have first refusal for distribution rights unless Disney makes an arrangement with them like they did with Paramount.

Again. No. Hulk reverted back to Marvel:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/mar...e-character-rights-and-where-they-are/666672/

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/

I'm over with this, sorry.

AndyMagic

I'm glad you're "over" this since you continue to reply to posts that you fail to read. You keep talking about character rights and I'm talking about distribution rights which are two completely separate things. Marvel didn't have a distribution arm so all in-house productions like say, Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk (2008) still needed a big studio to market and release the films. When Disney bought Marvel, they needed to cut a deal with Paramount in order for them to be able to release The Avengers. Part of that deal was a buy-out of the distribution rights along with an agreement to leave Paramount's logo before the film. Paramount didn't own the character rights to the Avengers just like Universal didn't own the character rights to the Hulk. It didn't matter. They still had to pay-off Paramount in order to distribute the film. I can't find any information regarding the original distribution agreement that Marvel had with Universal so for all we know, Universal still has distribution rights to a Hulk sequel should Marvel ever decide to make one.

Axle1986

As the administrator said, lets keep this on subject.

If you need a visual reminder of what this thread is about, here you go.

120615122717-disney-racers-story-top.jpg

NOW SHHHHHHHH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom