DHS CARS LAND

|Q|

For some reason I don't remember reading about the distribution buy-out for this particular character but you're probably right.

Because there wasn't one. After the Ang Lee directed Hulk flopped Universal let their rights to the character expire, and they reverted back to Marvel (thus Disney). Then they made in house (and in continuity) the Incredible Hulk, the one with Edward Norton (later dropped by Joss Whedon for the Avengers)

PeterAlt

Sorry, Disney isn't suddenly going to loose the rights to Marvel just because that have a licensing deal with another company. If that could happen then virtually every piece of major intellectual property in existance would be in jeporday. I doubt there is a signficant piece of IP that the owner hasn't licensed at least some aspect of to another company.
Read up on how the Looney Toons characters were assembled and licensed out all over the place and what the studio did regain the rights in every market sector (including theme parks and motion pictures). It was quite literally a bigger mess than Marvel, but the studio managed to get 100% of their rights back. They had to reassemble many more pieces than Disney has to reassemble for Marvel, but they did it and it's paying off even today.

AndyMagic

Because there wasn't one. After the Ang Lee directed Hulk flopped Universal let their rights to the character expire, and they reverted back to Marvel (thus Disney). Then they made in house (and in continuity) the Incredible Hulk, the one with Edward Norton (later dropped by Joss Whedon for the Avengers)

That's incorrect. Universal held the distribution rights to both the Ang Lee film in 2003 and the Incredible Hulk film starring Ed Norton in 2008. While the 2008 film was produced by Marvel, they signed into an agreement with Universal to distribute much like how Sony distributes Spider-Man. The deal in place was an exclusive distribution deal and had nothing to do with an ownership of the character which is why it wasn't an issue for Disney to use Hulk in the Avengers. My question is, if Marvel wants to make another Hulk movie, are the distribution rights still in Universal's hands or was the 2008 film a one-off?

articos

That's incorrect. Universal held the distribution rights to both the Ang Lee film in 2003 and the Incredible Hulk film starring Ed Norton in 2008. While the 2008 film was produced by Marvel, they signed into an agreement with Universal to distribute much like how Sony distributes Spider-Man. The deal in place was an exclusive distribution deal and had nothing to do with an ownership of the character which is why it wasn't an issue for Disney to use Hulk in the Avengers. My question is, if Marvel wants to make another Hulk movie, are the distribution rights still in Universal's hands or was the 2008 film a one-off?
I believe Marvel holds the rights to Hulk, but there may be a sequel clause in the distribution agreement that says Uni keeps the distribution for the US or possibly shares it. Or Marvel might just write them a check behind the scenes. Don't know for sure. Regardless, no new Hulk stand-alones until after Avengers 2 at the earliest, and nothing in development at the moment.

SirLink

I believe Marvel holds the rights to Hulk, but there may be a sequel clause in the distribution agreement that says Uni keeps the distribution for the US or possibly shares it. Or Marvel might just write them a check behind the scenes. Don't know for sure. Regardless, no new Hulk stand-alones until after Avengers 2 at the earliest, and nothing in development at the moment.

Well there is a Hulk TV series in the works so one would imagine that when Marvel started placing the building boxes for Marvel Film Universe it got the rights back into their court. And in the Shield TV series isn't Eric Banner going to be a major part in that as well...

It would be nice for Marvel to get the rights back in house for all the Hell's Kitchen characters like Dare Devil, Electra, etc. Could make for a great TV series ...

articos

Well there is a Hulk TV series in the works so one would imagine that when Marvel started placing the building boxes for Marvel Film Universe it got the rights back into their court. And in the Shield TV series isn't Eric Banner going to be a major part in that as well...

It would be nice for Marvel to get the rights back in house for all the Hell's Kitchen characters like Dare Devil, Electra, etc. Could make for a great TV series ...
Marvel does hold the rights for tv - the feature and tv rights are separate. The tv package is easy, so that was one of the first things they put together between Marvel and ABC. Not sure on the film side of things. Marvel owns Hulk, and there was a distribution agreement with Universal, which is different from the licensing deal that Sony has re: Spidey. I don't know if the distribution was a package deal, which many are, or if it's only a picture by picture deal. Will try to find out.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I believe I read that Daredevil has reverted to Marvel for film.

For TV, Marvel never really sold off the rights to much of anything. Marvel still has the rights to, for example, Spiderman, for TV. And, if I'm not mistaken, SHIELD agent Phil Coulson even appears in the most recent Spiderman animated series.

Calvin Coolidge

Certainly seems like a better match for a TV show than the goofy Bennifer movies.

Read up on how the Looney Toons characters were assembled and licensed out all over the place and what the studio did regain the rights in every market sector (including theme parks and motion pictures). It was quite literally a bigger mess than Marvel, but the studio managed to get 100% of their rights back. They had to reassemble many more pieces than Disney has to reassemble for Marvel, but they did it and it's paying off even today.

Uni's asking price would exceed Disney's willingness to pay to reacquire Eastern theme park rights to Marvel, especially in a world where they don't seem to know what to do with them yet. Working into Marvel's calculations is the fact that, with Marvel, they basically have at IOA the only movie franchise as big as Harry Potter and Star Wars. And giving up Marvel rights would not only mean IOA loses it's flagship rides, it would mean giving up those franchises to a cross-town competitor. Why would they ever do that for a price that Disney would reasonably pay?

The only scenario I can see is Disney wanting the Avengers rights back, and buying those back, while letting Marvel continue to use Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men (all of which Disney doesn't have film rights to anyway, so there's less incentive to build theme park attractions based on them, and allows the most Disney-ready parts of Marvel, i.e. Iron Man and Captain America to return). All that would mean from Marvel's perspective is re-theming The Hulk and that Captain America Diner, and taking down a few of the big street cutouts. I don't find it terribly likely, but seems more probable than a total buy-back.

Since we know TDO thinks in terms of "boy rides" and "girl rides," I still don't find any movement on the Marvel front likely so long as Disney can do whatever it wants with Star Wars and Cars and get just as much response from school-aged boys.

MerlinTheGoat

I asked Lee the other day and it still sounds like something involving Cars is planned, though he said people were being vague lately. And somewhere in the last week (forget where) WDW1974 said he'd be surprised if something wasn't announced by D23 in August. Seems like it's still on the table, for now anyways. But we haven't heard anything really solid for quite some time now.
At this point I would put money against it.
You're betting Cars Land at DHS won't happen? What makes you say that?

SirLink

Marvel does hold the rights for tv - the feature and tv rights are separate. The tv package is easy, so that was one of the first things they put together between Marvel and ABC. Not sure on the film side of things. Marvel owns Hulk, and there was a distribution agreement with Universal, which is different from the licensing deal that Sony has re: Spidey. I don't know if the distribution was a package deal, which many are, or if it's only a picture by picture deal. Will try to find out.

I thought the Marvel deal's were separated between live-action and animated properties, that is why it took something to get the previous Spidy animated program done and to get their Ultimate Spidy out the door so to speak.

Actually the weirdest deal for all Marvel properties is X-men...

articos

I thought the Marvel deal's were separated between live-action and animated properties, that is why it took something to get the previous Spidy animated program done and to get their Ultimate Spidy out the door so to speak.

Actually the weirdest deal for all Marvel properties is X-men...
There is a separation between live action and animated, yes. But breaking down the live action sub-set, there are separate deals for tv vs feature as well. It's standard in the industry to try to keep everything with walls, as there's more money to be made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom