DHS CARS LAND

BryceM

I'm sure I'd enjoy DHS' version more, but I doubt it would shoot to the top of my favorite Disney rides list. The ride is fun, no doubt... Is it a favorite? Nope.
I think the major difference between the two versions is placement. DHS' Tower of Terror is located at the end of Sunset Boulevard, where you literally feel like you've stepped back in time. And at the end of the street, is the old Hollywood Hotel. The queue is far superior, winding through the forgotten gardens. The facade looks better (to me at least) and the randomized drop sequence + 5th dimension room are such great surprises.

And I've heard that DCA's version has some un-themed hallway before you board the elevator...? Gah!

Californian Elitist

I think the major difference between the two versions is placement. DHS' Tower of Terror is located at the end of Sunset Boulevard, where you literally feel like you've stepped back in time. And at the end of the street, is the old Hollywood Hotel. The queue is far superior, winding through the forgotten gardens. The facade looks better (to me at least) and the randomized drop sequence + 5th dimension room are such great surprises.

And I've heard that DCA's version has some un-themed hallway before you board the elevator...? Gah!

Like I said, I'm sure I'd enjoy the ride more. I'm not a fan of drop towers, though. My favorites will always be Indy and Matterhorn, as of now.

I can't even answer your question. I haven't ridden ToT enough times to know. I'm really not the biggest fan of that ride. The only time I get on is when someone asks me to ride with them. Other than that, I'm not thinking about that ride.

BryceM

Like I said, I'm sure I'd enjoy the ride more. I'm not a fan of drop towers, though. My favorites will always be Indy and Matterhorn, as of now.

I can't even answer your question. I haven't ridden ToT enough times to know. I'm really not the biggest fan of that ride. The only time I get on is when someone asks me to ride with them. Other than that, I'm not thinking about that ride.
I'm not a big fan of drop towers either! I can do any coaster, but if it involves being slowly hoisted up, and then falling, I can't do it. The farthest I'll go is Tower of Terror and Dr. Doom's Fear Fall (which is an S&S Space Shot, so you get launched upwards). Other than that, NOPE!

And I've watched plenty of on-ride videos of Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom at Six Flags Magic Mountain... That is the one ride I would never, never, ever ride.

Californian Elitist

I'm not a big fan of drop towers either! I can do any coaster, but if it involves being slowly hoisted up, and then falling, I can't do it. The farthest I'll go is Tower of Terror and Dr. Doom's Fear Fall (which is an S&S Space Shot, so you get launched upwards). Other than that, NOPE!

And I've watched plenty of on-ride videos of Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom at Six Flags Magic Mountain... That is the one ride I would never, never, ever ride.

Yeah, Tower is the best I can do. I'm surprised I can even do that.

Lex Luthor is absolutely out of the question. I can do a few coasters. I don't mind inversions and speed but the drops can't be too steep, or else I'd faint.

Disneyhead'71

I really don't mind them cloning big ticket headliner attractions. Spreading the cost of them means that we will get more of them on both coasts. Where I think where they really need to differentiate the resorts is with the smaller attractions and attention to detail. I don't think TSMM should have been cloned. Maybe use the same tech with a different theme. It could just have easily been themed to PT Fleas Spectacular Funtacular with a Heimlich AA in the queue. I don't think Ariel's should have been cloned, especially since we already have an underwater Omnimover. I think an Alice in Wonderland dark ride (but different than Disneylands) would have worked just as well.

Goofyernmost

You can have Tower of Terror, that ride is not all that. That's fine you don't want to visit DLR again. Clearly you don't want to see Cars Land bad enough.

Actually Walt Disney hated repeating himself. He didn't care about Magic Kingdom, he cared about Epcot, which isn't a clone of Disneyland. Magic Kingdom was built because he lacked funds for Epcot. The store/restaurant comparison doesn't really fly with me. You can't compare theme park attractions to a store. Why would I visit the other Disney parks if they were all the same? Cloning everything is just a lack of effort. Think of something else, something different. It's boring and almost pointless when everything's the same.
Unless, I'm mistaken the idea of having parks in different locations is to get to the guests that otherwise would not make the trip to the original. It, in and of itself, is a clone. It is a realization that not everyone can necessarily got to the original. They can't get to the mountain, so they bring the mountain to them. I suppose on some level it's OK to have a few things unique to each park to entice the folks that might be able to do more than one experience, but, if you want to get to the most people, and get the most money, you have to supply the people with something to spend their money on, just business. You guys are trying to put a human emotion on a business's effort to simply make more money.

Again, Walt Disney hated repeating movies...he never said that in relation to his theme park(s). Even then he was talking about animated stories. (at the time, Pigs) He repeated, in kind, a lot of the nature movies through the years. How many ways can a beaver swim across a pond. And to say that he gave up on that principle because he cared about EPCOT and needed it because he lacked the funds for EPCOT. Well, that is partially true, but he would have been pretty hypocritical to all of a sudden decide that repeating was a bad thing unless, he knew that repeating that would make him a bucket load of cash. EPCOT was never in Walt's head as a Theme Park, it was going to be an actual city that, when built would be supported by the influx of tourist to see it. (MK) It was not a place that tourists would wonder through and rubber neck everyone like they do the Amish. It was meant as an upscale, technologically current, place to live, not visit.

Californian Elitist

Unless, I'm mistaken the idea of having parks in different locations is to get to the guests that otherwise would not make the trip to the original. It, in and of itself, is a clone. It is a realization that not everyone can necessarily got to the original. They can't get to the mountain, so they bring the mountain to them. I suppose on some level it's OK to have a few things unique to each park to entice the folks that might be able to do more than one experience, but, if you want to get to the most people, and get the most money, you have to supply the people with something to spend their money on, just business. You guys are trying to put a human emotion on a business's effort to simply make more money.

Again, Walt Disney hated repeating movies...he never said that in relation to his theme park(s). Even then he was talking about animated stories. (at the time, Pigs) He repeated, in kind, a lot of the nature movies through the years. How many ways can a beaver swim across a pond. And to say that he gave up on that principle because he cared about EPCOT and needed it because he lacked the funds for EPCOT. Well, that is partially true, but he would have been pretty hypocritical to all of a sudden decide that repeating was a bad thing unless, he knew that repeating that would make him a bucket load of cash. EPCOT was never in Walt's head as a Theme Park, it was going to be an actual city that, when built would be supported by the influx of tourist to see it. (MK) It was not a place that tourists would wonder through and rubber neck everyone like they do the Amish. It was meant as an upscale, technologically current, place to live, not visit.

Okay.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Large parts of both plus DHS were in DCA aka DLR. If we are going to get hostile about it...we want ToT back. You can come to Florida if you want to ride that.:p

I'd spend that much money if 1) it was the same amount as I have to pay to go to WDW and 2) if once I got there I would find 4 parks, 2 water parks, AK Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, 2 mini golf courses, & 3 regulation golf courses and didn't have Harbor Blvd. to deal with. :cool:

You know you don't have to deal with Harbor Blvd. There is a nice exit right of the free way that brings you straight in if you are staying further away. If you are staying onsite or in a Good Neighbor hotel they either are in walking distance for have a shuttle.

Goofyernmost

You know you don't have to deal with Harbor Blvd. There is a nice exit right of the free way that brings you straight in if you are staying further away. If you are staying onsite or in a Good Neighbor hotel they either are in walking distance for have a shuttle.
Yea, I know, I just threw that in there because I know that Walt was batty about it being so close to Disneyland.:D

Harbor Blvd. never really bothered me at all.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I don't really mind clone rides when they give them a twist. I like the small differences between rides on each coast. I think the problem with Carsland is you are talking about transporting an entire land, not just a ride. There isn't really anyway to give it a different layout or theming since it's based on a town in the film.

They have Fantasyland in both parks but it's not exactly they same The rides are in different places the theming is different. The rides that are the same for the most part are not exact copies. I like that it gives you a little surprise when you ride or turn a corner as you are walking through the park.

Goofyernmost

I don't really mind clone rides when they give them a twist. I like the small differences between rides on each coast. I think the problem with Carsland is you are talking about transporting an entire land, not just a ride. There isn't really anyway to give it a different layout or theming since it's based on a town in the film.

They have Fantasyland in both parks but it's not exactly they same The rides are in different places the theming is different. The rides that are the same for the most part are not exact copies. I like that it gives you a little surprise when you ride or turn a corner as you are walking through the park.
DHS is on life support, it needs some sort of a injection of big stuff...that would be Carsland.

There's nothing wrong with that, the just of Pirates is the same at all places or at least east and west. DL has a few more things to fit in with the New Orleans theme. Small world is a more flamboyant exterior but basically the same ride inside. My goodness when you think about it in the beginning there was Toad, 20K (basically a clone, different story), Peter Pan, Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise and even Swiss Family Treehouse (later changed to Tarzan in DL), Country Bears, Splash Mtn. Big Thunder Mtn., Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents (Mr. Lincoln in DL), HISTA (now E.O.), Dumbo, The Carousel, A Castle in the middle of the park, Steamboats. When you come right down to it. It is easier to list the things that aren't clones between the two parks. Why is this an issue now. It means nothing to those on the west coast, it means a lot to those on the east, and getting it on the east doesn't even leave a mark on those happy campers from out west. You get to keep your version and not have to put up with those obnoxious easterners. Win - Win!

flynnibus

Premium Member

No, it's after the ride that is pretty barren. Entering the attraction is for all intensive purposes the same once you enter the front door of the hotel to the elevators. You have the same hotel lobby, preshow room, and boiler room (tho arranged differently) leading up to the elevators.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMHO, the "clone wars" is mostly an academic debate but one that creeps up frequently in these parts. Such a small number of people regularly visit both parks that it makes little difference. The only people truly impacted are the very small minority who do regularly visit Disney on both coasts. It makes almost no difference at all with clones in the international parks. Having a clone of Carsland in FL should/does have no impact on the enjoyment of guests in CA. Guests who regularly visit WDW will enjoy having a quality attraction like Carsland to enjoy over and over on their multiple trips. Sure, they could make a trip out to DCA to see it, but most people would rather have it where they visit frequently as opposed to a once in a while or once on a lifetime trip.

BryceM

No, it's after the ride that is pretty barren. Entering the attraction is for all intensive purposes the same once you enter the front door of the hotel to the elevators. You have the same hotel lobby, preshow room, and boiler room (tho arranged differently) leading up to the elevators.
I understand that the boiler room, lobby and pre-show are essentially the same.

I was referring to this:

10DE3B18-5E35-4A39-8B8B-FA4DF0092D23-15262-00000E4292B741D8_zpse0793eab.jpg

Disneyhead'71

I think that a lot more DLR regulars travel to WDW than WDW regulars travel to DLR. So it makes more sense to clone DLR's popular attractions in WDW than the other way around. Most WDW regulars don't see the value in the added travel expense for 2 less parks and no water parks. Where as a lot of DLR regulars are rabid "Disney" fans that want it all so they will pony up the bucks to make it out to the swamp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom