DHS Backlot Tour-should it stay or go?

JLW11Hi

I would rather they remove the tram tour and use the space for something else.

I think that Disney Hollywood Studios should no longer be thought of as a "working studio". There is no studio there anymore. The park should now be devoted entirely to the idea of movie making and films.

Getting rid of the tour might free up some space for the Pixar Place as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was great when the park started. Today it`s an embarrassment.

Don`t worry - it will be gone sooner than later.

CaptainJackNO

The backlot tour really does need to be tanked, in it's current state, that is. I remember when the attraction was an hour or so. You used to tour the WORKING sound stages, the blue screen effect with honey i shrunk the kids, then the bette midler video, it was one long tour. Now, it really is sad. I think the only reason it has remained open is that DHS does not have many attractions to thin out the crowds.
They should re-commit to a movie studio or close the whole attraction down and add a couple attractions in the areas that it occupies.
Let's face it, of all the parks, DHS is the one in most need of added attractions. When the Great Movie Ride has an hour and a half wait in late May, it's time to do something. :confused:

dwightshrutefan

I would rather they remove the tram tour and use the space for something else.

I think that Disney Hollywood Studios should no longer be thought of as a "working studio". There is no studio there anymore. The park should now be devoted entirely to the idea of movie making and films.

Getting rid of the tour might free up some space for the Pixar Place as well.

Oh Gawd!

I wish disney world would just stick to disney!

I know they baught pixtar but still, i dont think walt would like to see his parks un-disneyiesed

Lee

Adventurer
Please....there's no "Backlot" to tour anymore really. :rolleyes:
Great in it's day, I used to really enjoy the LONG version of the tour.
Now...no thanks.

Anyhoo...it's days are numbered.

JLW11Hi

Oh Gawd!

I wish disney world would just stick to disney!

I know they baught pixtar but still, i dont think walt would like to see his parks un-disneyiesed

Seeing as they are unveiling an area of the park devoted to Pixar, I would expect more than one Pixar themed attraction to make its way back there.

Of all places, I'd actaully hope to see new Pixar attractions in DHS.

Either way, at this point, I'm not so much concerned about what characters/movie are associated with new rides as much as I am concerned about the quality of the new attractions.

wdwmomof3

I still like it but I wish they would make it better. I love the part at the very beginning and also the truck on the side of the mtn. I wish that they would add some more neat things like this to the attraction.

CThaddeus

A few ways to improve the Tour:

1. Close that awful Lights, Motors, Action and incorporate the stadium into something that happens all around you on the tour instead of just watching it from the stifling stadium bleachers. Screeching cars don't really excite me, but turning the whole thing into an almost interactive experience (cars jumping over the Tram, for example) might make it at least semi-entertaining...especially if they actually use recognizable vehicles like Herbie, or even the characters from "Cars."
2. A Pirates of the Caribbean experience could add a lot of excitement, too. Have the Tram make its way past two large pirate ships shooting it out, with live actors swinging from one ship to another and dueling, perhaps a giant Kraken tentacle or two reaching out of the water at the passing Tram, etc. Again, make it as interactive and as immersive as possible. Keep the guests excited.
3. Beef up Catastrophe Canyon. It's almost 20 now. Technological improvements could make it more realistic, and perhaps even a little more random. Sometimes one thing explodes, sometimes another. Perhaps the "earthquake" is a 3.2 one time, then a 5.0 the next. Add another element of danger to freshen it up.
4. Clean up the boneyard, paint the cars, add new vehicles from more recent releases, and maybe even have a few of them DO something. Seeing the Indy tank rolling up next to you with its turret rotating toward the Tram would be pretty cool.
5. More props from more movies. It might even be more interesting to turn the current queue/prop room into a drive-through structure so that the tour guides could actually point out some of the stuff you're looking at. I recognize some of it, but I'd love to know about more of it (they might have to take the old attraction pieces out of there, though, and put them in One Man's Dream where they belong!). Teach the guides where everything is from, then they could randomly pick items in each tour to point out. That way you'll probably always hear at least a few new things.
6. More costumes to look at in the Costume shop. Maybe a video explaining the process of creating a costume.
7. More sets from past films. Enclose them so they don't get destroyed by the elements, then drive past them so guests can see the tricks like forced perspective and false fronts again.
8. Think The Great Movie Ride on a much more massive scale.

Ultimately, this puppy needs a massive overhaul. Disney should look at Universal Hollywood for inspiration here. It's the only thing at that Park that makes me want to go back and visit again...mostly because there's so much to see and experience within it. If only the rest of Universal lived up to the Tram Tour. Then again, if only the Tram Tour at DHS lived up to the rest of DHS...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
We've got ideas from Pirates... and we've got ideas from Indy...
Naturally we need to have a massive scene with PIRATES VS. INDY. Would it make sense? No. Would it be oddly amusing to watch? Heck yes.

Would it happen in a million years? Heck no. With good reason, too.

mrscricket

when i went in 2003. it was much better and longer.

when i went in2007, a lot of it had gone.

whenever we filmed the tour we would endup fast forwarding it cos it was so long. Now we will definintly not be fastforwading,

Yes, it was never the best thing in the park but it was a classic that actually had informantion that you could take home qwith you. So i think it should just bring back all the stuff they got rid of.

Disney05

I agree it needs a major overhaul. I'm not that creative so I don't know how to make it a great ride. But it's fairly lame now.

jt04

Wow! I didn't even realize it was still there. For some reason, I thought it was gone. I will have to go next time I am there. I use to love that ride.

Trust me you do not want to ride it. You will only screw up your memories of what was a pretty good attraction. If Marni and Lee say it is closing then I think that makes it "official". The ride is an embarassment to all things Disney. Hopefully it is closing within months and not years from now.

JWG

Since they keep stealing its space for other attractions (LMA) and whittling away at it, I think the writing is on the wall.

In its current form it's a disgrace to what a backlot tour should be. Universal did away with theirs and they are a working studio - I think that is a clear indication that Disney's will also go.

Too bad, because I love the original intent and concept of the backlot tour, but since DHS doesn't really have a backlot, it's out of place.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Tour itself isn't as good as it use to be...I'd like to see a new area for Mickey & Co. A Toontown-esq studio section would be neat.

Unplugged

I loved it when it was new, and actually up until about 5 years ago when it started showing it's age and losing components. I think with DHS not being a operating studio anymore, and space being recycled for LMA and such, it's days are numbered. I could almost guarantee that as others have stated, it's there due to park capacity and will not be replaced until an appropriately sized attraction with an approved budget exist. I'll bet in 5 years, this won't even be a topic and we'll be reminiscing about the "old tour days".

If you look at the entrance position, it also make sense that Pixar Place would be extended in the future to include that area for new attraction around the back. I'd really love to see what they could come up with.

All in all, IMHO, the time has come to remove the tour; don't enhance it, don't try to revive it. Simply let it retire with dignity. They've almost stolen most of that already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom