DHS Aerial View

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wait a minute, Disney is going to build a multimillion dollar land themed to Star Wars, and the tentative plan is to keep the existing Star Tours attraction disconnected from this? That doesn't make much sense in my mind.

A thought occurred to me while writing this though. If Disney were to keep Star Tours separate from the new SWL, I could see Disney attempting something similar to what Universal has with the Hogwarts Express. Imagine Star Tours being the "space port" on Earth with shuttle service to the new SWL area. The last sequence on the simulator would be a new scene where the guests arrive on proposed planet that SWL is themed around. Following the ride, guests are rerouted around the back of Muppets through current backstage areas to the grand entrance of SWL. This way, Disney keeps Star Tours, continually updates the ride sequences, saves money on repurposing/demolishing the existing building, and creates the atmosphere of actually traveling at light speed to get to another galaxy.

Thoughts?

Lots of people have suggested that idea but there is no evidence it will happen. Logistically it would be difficult to make the connection behind Muppets, and personally I think if they really wanted them connected they would have sacrificed Muppets and built SWL directly adjacent to Star Tours. You also need to consider that a similar situation exists in DL, albeit the ST is further from the land, so a connection there is not really possible. It will either standalone or be re-themed there.

JohnD

I am very confused right now... From the aerial photos and from what I already know, the Muppets is literally smack dab in the middle of the proposed future Star Wars area and the current Star Tours attraction. That being said, what happens to the Muppets once Star Wars opens, and what happens to Star Tours?

Edit: *Didn't Disney just refurb Pizza Planet into PizzeRizzo too?

Nothing. Muppets stays and ST will probably be more integrated.

JohnD

Lots of people have suggested that idea but there is no evidence it will happen. Logistically it would be difficult to make the connection behind Muppets, and personally I think if they really wanted them connected they would have sacrificed Muppets and built SWL directly adjacent to Star Tours. You also need to consider that a similar situation exists in DL, albeit the ST is further from the land, so a connection there is not really possible. It will either standalone or be re-themed there.

I think there is a lot of overthinking going on here. ST will stay. It could be themed as being in a "port" in an outlying system that isn't part of SW land. Who knows? Who cares? It's a great ride.

P_Radden

It will either standalone or be re-themed there.

My guess is re-themed after SWL is opened. It wouldn't surprise me if they came up with a Marvel (or something else) theme for ST Florida and something different for ST Anaheim.

Will Disney be able to use the other Marvel IPs in FL by then?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My guess is re-themed after SWL is opened. It wouldn't surprise me if they came up with a Marvel (or something else) theme for ST Florida and something different for ST Anaheim.

Will Disney be able to use the other Marvel IPs in FL by then?

Unless they come to some new agreement with Universal nothing in the contract will change between now and then.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think there is a lot of overthinking going on here. ST will stay. It could be themed as being in a "port" in an outlying system that isn't part of SW land. Who knows? Who cares? It's a great ride.

Being that this is a Disney World fan site I would think a lot of people would care what happens to the ride. ST staying is definitely not a given.

JohnD

Being that this is a Disney World fan site I would think a lot of people would care what happens to the ride. ST staying is definitely not a given.

I care about the ride. I just think too much overthinking here. Look at the aerials. SW land could start as you come upon ST on your left and continue down what was the old SOA into the new land. To your left, you could exit SW Land and enter Muppets Courtyard. Leaving Muppets Courtyard, you re-enter SW Land and either go left into the majority of the land or go right past ST.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I care about the ride. I just think too much overthinking here. Look at the aerials. SW land could start as you come upon ST on your left and continue down what was the old SOA into the new land. To your left, you could exit SW Land and enter Muppets Courtyard. Leaving Muppets Courtyard, you re-enter SW Land and either go left into the majority of the land or go right past ST.

Yes, that could have happened, but @marni1971 has said that it isn't. The fact that they have left the one piece of the street façade up and made modifications to it supports this.

jmmc

The same question comes up if you think about Disneyland, where Star Tours is even further away from SW Land.

People here would know this better than me, but is there any chance they would move the DHS Star Tours ride and just build a completely new queue area for it to exist in? I assume that with the still fairly recent update of the ride, they wouldn't. But is it logistically possible, or is it way too much time and effort?

JohnD

Wait a minute, Disney is going to build a multimillion dollar land themed to Star Wars, and the tentative plan is to keep the existing Star Tours attraction disconnected from this? That doesn't make much sense in my mind.

A thought occurred to me while writing this though. If Disney were to keep Star Tours separate from the new SWL, I could see Disney attempting something similar to what Universal has with the Hogwarts Express. Imagine Star Tours being the "space port" on Earth with shuttle service to the new SWL area. The last sequence on the simulator would be a new scene where the guests arrive on proposed planet that SWL is themed around. Following the ride, guests are rerouted around the back of Muppets through current backstage areas to the grand entrance of SWL. This way, Disney keeps Star Tours, continually updates the ride sequences, saves money on repurposing/demolishing the existing building, and creates the atmosphere of actually traveling at light speed to get to another galaxy.

Thoughts?

First off, you'd have to move the gift shop or maybe just add another one. I'm not joking. I'm being serious. What does the ride do like a lot of other Disney rides? Exit through the gift shop. Also, I might want to have the flexibility of deciding where I want to go. I might have time for my FP+ and then get back out to Hollywood Blvd. to see the SW Galactic Spectacular. Being routed around Muppets Courtyard would put me out of my way. At a minimum, with your idea, I would prefer to either exit through the current gift shop allowing me to walk back in the direction of Indy or go down a walkway to the new SW Land.

JohnD

The same question comes up if you think about Disneyland, where Star Tours is even further away from SW Land.

People here would know this better than me, but is there any chance they would move the DHS Star Tours ride and just build a completely new queue area for it to exist in? I assume that with the still fairly recent update of the ride, they wouldn't. But is it logistically possible, or is it way too much time and effort?

Again, just say that you're boarding in another port. SW Land is supposed to be a specific planet anyway.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

If they really wanted them to be right next to each other I think I would have been easier to either move or sacrifice Muppets, instead of moving ST. The recent update to ST was just to add the Force Awakens stuff, and it will also be getting a similar update for Episode 8. Considering these are probably inexpensive updates, and Martin has said any re-theme of ST would like come a few years after SWL opens, I don't see the updates as a reason to believe it will not be re-themed.

jmmc

If they really wanted them to be right next to each other I think I would have been easier to either move or sacrifice Muppets, instead of moving ST. The recent update to ST was just to add the Force Awakens stuff, and it will also be getting a similar update for Episode 8. Considering these are probably inexpensive updates, and Martin has said any re-theme of ST would like come a few years after SWL opens, I don't see the updates as a reason to believe it will not be re-themed.
I was more referring to the earlier makeover that made it 3D, added C-3PO, etc. Adding scenes, etc, wouldn't be a big deal. Star Wars Land was announced a couple of years after that makeover, but I still wonder if that update would be "wasted" and replaced. Still, given what they are putting into SW Land maybe they wouldn't care.

Personally, I love the ride and would hate to see it go.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was more referring to the earlier makeover that made it 3D, added C-3PO, etc. Adding scenes, etc, wouldn't be a big deal. Star Wars Land was announced a couple of years after that makeover, but I still wonder if that update would be "wasted" and replaced. Still, given what they are putting into SW Land maybe they wouldn't care.

Personally, I love the ride and would hate to see it go.

The new version could be around 10 years old by the time it would get replaced. Entire rides have lasted less time then that. Not to mention, in a re-theme a lot of the tech upgrades would be re-used.

dgp602

I am very confused right now... From the aerial photos and from what I already know, the Muppets is literally smack dab in the middle of the proposed future Star Wars area and the current Star Tours attraction. That being said, what happens to the Muppets once Star Wars opens, and what happens to Star Tours?

Edit: *Didn't Disney just refurb Pizza Planet into PizzeRizzo too?
I was thinking the same think? Can they re-furb Star Tours??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom