DHS Aerial View

Next Big Thing

And that is something that they do not want you to do. It is the same theory that makes grocery stores put bread and milk in the back of the store. They do not want you bypassing Sunset. So unless they decide to add another attraction to that area, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
Well, adding attractions was my reason to take out the Animation building. They aren't just going to rip the building up for nothing.

That's a giant piece of land they would have to work with when you also add in the Disney Jr and Little Mermaid space.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
I'll have to dig more but I don't think that's as built. The backlot, aside from the stages and wardrobe / scenic was quite as-hoc during the first two years. But even so I don't think there was anything needing anything substantial underground.

Maybe I should watch my own videos :D
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Looking at it from a different angle, it just looks like the filings are there to support the entrance foyer to the building. Florida soil is notoriously unpredictable, there may have been a sinkhole there requiring pilings to be placed. Given the haphazard arrangement of them in the original picture, this looked like more of something that was not planned for.

Or did anyone check for a monorail right of way? This could have been for that beamway which would have run through the swan and dolphin. (Peter)

roj2323

View attachment 177907

Looking at it from a different angle, it just looks like the filings are there to support the entrance foyer to the building. Florida soil is notoriously unpredictable, there may have been a sinkhole there requiring pilings to be placed. Given the haphazard arrangement of them in the original picture, this looked like more of something that was not planned for.

Or did anyone check for a monorail right of way? This could have been for that beamway which would have run through the swan and dolphin. (Peter)

Guys I don't know why you keep debating this.

The crane with the Piling drill has been on site for months and spent over a month working in the Toy story land area. (just finished drilling pilings over at the star wars land Utah shaped project) Basically what happens is this crane mounted machine drills down and then concrete is poured down the center of the drill pipe as the drill is slowly removed from the hole. Once the drill is fully removed, steel reinforcement is pushed down into the still wet concrete. Once the concrete cures the top portion of the piling is excavated so it can be cut down to the final height. In most cases the exposed concrete piling is crushed so the rebar within can be bent into shape to reinforce and tie together the concrete cap that will be poured. It's done this way because it's easier for the crane/piling rig to work on level ground for the install process. This is why they are rough looking and not smooth, the dirt acts as the casing as it's poured.

cfa4.jpg

Technical name is Continuous Flight Auger Piles

Last edited:

jt04

Guys I don't know why you keep debating this.

The crane with the Piling drill has been on site for months and spent over a month working in the Toy story land area. (just finished drilling pilings over at the star wars land Utah shaped project) Basically what happens is this crane mounted machine drills down and then concrete is poured down the center of the drill pipe as the drill is slowly removed from the hole. Once the drill is fully removed, steel reinforcement is pushed down into the still wet concrete. Once the concrete cures the top portion of the piling is excavated so it can be cut down to the final height. In most cases the exposed concrete piling is crushed so the rebar within can be bent into shape to reinforce and tie together the concrete cap that will be poured. It's done this way because it's easier for the crane/piling rig to work on level ground for the install process. This is why they are rough looking and not smooth, the dirt acts as the casing as it's poured.

cfa4.jpg

Technical name is Continuous Flight Auger Piles

People are confused because the same project in Anaheim is a 40 ft. deep trench.

doctornick

Are there any pans to connect the end of Sunset Blvd (Near RnRc) to TSL when it opens? or maybe further down the line?

More realistically, they could tear down the Animation building (current Launch Bay plus the office building) and connect the RnR area with Animation Courtyard. That would work just fine with guest flow as you can walk from Animation Courtyard to TSL.

roj2323

People are confused because the same project in Anaheim is a 40 ft. deep trench.

Same story, the steel pilings are easier to install on level ground. The Continuous Flight Auger Piles that they recently completed are in the center of that Utah shaped steel piling installation. We will likely start to see the center of this being dug out in the next two weeks.

Keep in mind that part of the reason they are doing the construction in such an unorthodox way is Florida's soil conditions suck royally. There's a lot of things happening in the florida project below ground that Anaheim just doesn't have to even consider because of this. In short constructing large heavy things on top of sand is a PITA.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Same story, the steel pilings are easier to install on level ground. The Continuous Flight Auger Piles that they recently completed are in the center of that Utah shaped steel piling installation. We will likely start to see the center of this being dug out in the next two weeks.

Keep in mind that part of the reason they are doing the construction in such an unorthodox way is Florida's soil conditions suck royally. There's a lot of things happening in the florida project below ground that Anaheim just doesn't have to even consider because of this. In short constructing large heavy things on top of sand is a PITA.

You don't need to explain this to him, remember he is an expect on geotechnical engineering....

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-cars-land.846133/page-98#post-5144478

roj2323

I just noticed this behind Muppets in the recent aerials, I wonder what is going on back here. These look a little to random to be staying there so I am wondering if they are pre-casting some sort of elements for use somewhere else, or is this a test of something?
View attachment 179671

It's a color / texture test for the concrete walkways. Basically they are experimenting with different ideas to see what they like and so they can get approval from higher ups.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know there was some talk about how deep they are digging down at the California site. Here's a couple of closeups. Again this is Disneyland:

C0EL5faUoAApjrA.jpg

C0EK7QQUcAALMQw.jpg

from @Universal__Core on twitter

That is a 10' step ladder (no jokes please :) ) which would make the pit around 25 feet deep. Someone did mention on here that DHS's would also be 25', but I am still skeptical of that.

Goofyernmost

That is a 10' step ladder (no jokes please :) ) which would make the pit around 25 feet deep. Someone did mention on here that DHS's would also be 25', but I am still skeptical of that.
I guess it is possible that there are spots on Disney property that have a higher elevation and therefore above other areas that have very high water tables. But, they could build up the 25 feet as well just like they did for Main Street in MK. It also could be an area that they already built up when they built the "Studio's". I'm sure they have it figured out somehow or the other.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I guess it is possible that there are spots on Disney property that have a higher elevation and therefore above other areas that have very high water tables. But, they could build up the 25 feet as well just like they did for Main Street in MK. It also could be an area that they already built up when they built the "Studio's". I'm sure they have it figured out somehow or the other.

Of course the have it figured out, it's just interesting to speculate on what the answer actually is.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Of course the have it figured it, it's just interesting to speculate on what the answer actually is.
I know you couldn't see me shrug my shoulders in a puzzled manner when I wrote that, but, it was more a thought then a criticism. And speculating is exactly what I was expressing. Higher elevations, lower water table, previous or future landfill earthwork. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom