DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

tirian

I completely agree!!! I was suprised when I joined this website how many people were Complaining about EVERYTHING!!! I thought this website was to talk about how wonderful WDW was! I love WDW AND the hat and I would be very disapointed if the hat left! :rolleyes:

We do love WDW, which is why we're disheartened to see the constant cuts that make it less special and more like a money-grabbing operation. It has always been a business, but as opposed to the old regime that personally built the resort and had personally invested into it, the last few years of execs seem to care only about spreadsheets.

The best way to describe it is this: old MK was full of lush trees, unique music, top-notch shows, and extensive theming. For example, Caribbean Plaza in AL had a real steel drum band; cannons fired from the top of POTC; fountains flowed throughout the area; merchant shops were truly one-of-a-kind and not full of stuffed plush. Disney didn't have to advertise "magic" because anyone who visited WDW felt it.

Today that same location blasts the movie soundtrack, the cannons are silent, the fountains are flower planters, the shops sell movie items. It isn't that things are "bad," they're just not as special as they were. The little things that added to overall ambience have been cut in favor of cheaper alternatives requiring less maintenance, and Disney has to constantly tell people they're experiencing magic instead of letting guests enjoy and realize it on their own.

Things are getting better, though. After years of fading and cracking, Main Street has been restored. Fantasyland may be the best one Disney has ever built after the FLE. Frontierland is getting attention, and Caribbean Plaza is going to be more like the old one soon. ;) If Disney would start maintaining its attractions again (Splash Mt is practically falling apart), I would confidently say the current management cares again.

tirian

As for the hat: it's a massive plastic toy in the middle of a painstakingly created environment. It's a pin shop, not a real icon. Who needs it?

Captain Chaos

So, with all this disagreeing of opinions, we have learned from Marni that the hat will be going but only moved to another section of the park.

The question remains, where will the hat be moved to? I don't care when, just where. There are have Epcot sightline problems moving the hat to certain areas, so that has to be taken into consideration. So, where would the hat be moved to?

Personally, a scrap metal pile wouldn't bother me one bit.

DonaldDoleWhip

The hat looks wonderful where it is. It does not look cheap and always reminds me of Fantasia and is very much a part of what the studios was all about. Honestly if you want to see Hollywood you need to see it in person in California. I am in no way being disrespectful to you. If you take that way or I come off that then I do apologize. The hat to me does not throw a big monkey wrench as you say into it. To me the Hat says welcome to Disney, come on let's play
The thing is, the hat does throw a huge wrench in the idea that I'm in 1930's Hollywood during its Golden Age. Everything else on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard (with the exception of RnRC, which is tucked out of view anyway) sets the scene perfectly, and this section of DHS has some of my favorite theming in any park. Maybe if the hat was outside the park turnstiles (basically out of the way of Hollywood Boulevard) or in animation courtyard, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But the bottom line is that the hat does disrupt the whole Hollywood Golden Age thing going on. I don't need to be reminded that I'm in Disney - the character merchandise everywhere and the water tower with mickey ears do that for me.

And yes, the hat looks cheap. It doesn't look like it comes from natural materials, like the castle (it looks like stone from far away) or the tree of life (which looks like a real, oversized tree from far away). It doesn't look modern or impressive (like Spaceship Earth). It's just a giant plastic hat with sparkly yellow things on it and a shop underneath.

I don't know where the hat could feasibly move. I just hope it goes (even if it ends up at the new animation resort!)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, with all this disagreeing of opinions, we have learned from Marni that the hat will be going but only moved to another section of the park..
The idea I last heard was to remove it from the plaza, and it was being looked at to rebuild just outside the gate.

That was last year if not the year before. Since then I know more suits are behind just getting rid of the thing from the plaza no matter where it ends up.

RAXIP

I guess it's time to pull this out of the archives again.

3502829699_6fe447f840_o.png

Oh, and the Hat WILL NOT FIT IN THE ANIMATION COURTYARD! So please stop suggesting it as an alternative location. Thank you.

Animaniac93-98

I'd be fine with it at the front entrance, even if looking back down the street you could still see it. It would be a much better alternative to blocking the Chinese Theatre view.

Captain Chaos

The idea I last heard was to remove it from the plaza, and it was being looked at to rebuild just outside the gate.

That was last year if not the year before. Since then I know more suits are behind just getting rid of the thing from the plaza no matter where it ends up.

I guess it's time to pull this out of the archives again.

3502829699_6fe447f840_o.png

Oh, and the Hat WILL NOT FIT IN THE ANIMATION COURTYARD! So please stop suggesting it as an alternative location. Thank you.

Thank you marni!!! And Raxip, that picture makes me want the hat located there.

There wouldn't be Epcot sightline issues in the entrance plaza, would it? I'm assuming no. The only area visible is Tower of Terror. I'm sure the hat would be blocked and not visible if placed in the entrance.

JIMINYCR

I don't think the hat should be removed completely, just moved to somewhere else as it does truly destroy that fantastic view that you once had.

Could be placed along the highway leading into the property like a giant billboard welcoming people to WDW.... or how about in a courtyard of one of the new resorts that are going up?

zooey

If they MUST save it, they should just move it over to one of the value resorts. Those are the only locations where that 90's, jumbo aesthetic is still acceptable (RnR guitar included). Everywhere else it's just tacky.

Magenta Panther

Count me in as a Hater of the Hat. It's clunky, tacky and blocks the view of the gorgeous Chinese Theater. Plus it's hard as HECK to take a picture of the theater with the freaking Hat in the way!!!! (I've tried!)

Magenta Panther

If they MUST save it, they should just move it over to one of the value resorts. Those are the only locations where that 90's, jumbo aesthetic is still acceptable (RnR guitar included). Everywhere else it's just tacky.

Great idea! Send the Hat to All-Star Movies. It's a perfect, uh, fit. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom