DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

TropicalFig8

I've learned to like the hat and not care if it's gone or not. If you guys want the hat to be gone,okay then. It's like taking the wand off the Epcot ball. I wonder if they'll have a Sorcerer Hat removal watch. :ROFLOL:

comics101

The best way to reuse the BAH...

xwiy9.jpg

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

belle119821

Would the new Animation resort be a better place for it? It might still look a little weird though, since there isn't any other Fantasia theming going there. Hmmm...

HMF

A move to the plaza out front will make very little difference. I doubt it would be visible from EPCOT, considering the distance involved.

Google Earth gives a good overview. Moving the hat from the lower left to the lower left minus 150 yards is not going to affect EPCOT, four thousand yards away at the top right.

hatwp.jpg

The Hat is a lot bigger than it looks. 122 feet

The Empress Lilly

The Hat is a lot bigger than it looks. 122 feet
:eek:

That high? I would've given it 80-90 feet.

See, the sad thing about all of this is that the hat is not even a monstrosity in itself. I can understand why people, especially those who've only ever seen the Studio's with the hat, think it a magical symbol. A Disney icon.

It is just so tragically misplaced. The hat is not about placemaking at all. Such an eyesore where it is located. To me, the closest thing to it is not so much the wand, as the Castle Cake. (Or should that be 'Cake Castle'?) A somewhat fun idea, gone awfully awry, destroying marvellous theming and sightlines.

lazyboy97o

This is a mock up of the Hat at the top of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater plaza. Since that area is at a higher elevation than the entrance plaza, it is clearly visible. But I think the difference in elevation would conceal almost all of the structure.

F-4.png

EpcotFanForever

:eek:
See, the sad thing about all of this is that the hat is not even a monstrosity in itself. I can understand why people, especially those who've only ever seen the Studio's with the hat, think it a magical symbol. A Disney icon.

Maybe I'm out of touch here, but I think Sorcerer and Fantasia have been beaten to death by Disney. As a kid, I would have found Fantasia pretty boring. I actually discovered it when I was in my 20's, and it seemed pretty cool at the time.

But Mickey and Donald meant so much more to me from all the other cartoons I viewed as a kid. The Sorcerer was just a side road, not the main drag. It was very dark compared to most of the cartoons I recall, and in many ways it is really not representative of Mickey.

So the hat does not have all that much meaning to me personally, and I wish it was not so overused.

Just my humble opinion...

Jasonflz

I will give the hat the credit that it does serve it's job well as being the park's symbol.

That being said, the hat could easily be moved to a number of places not in the park.

Omnimover

For those talking about moving the hat, it would cause just as many problems. Here are some mock ups I did awhile ago when this topic came up illustrating the problems with some of the more common locations suggested.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lazyboy97o/BAH

This was both informative and hilarious. It's almost as if the Hat took a trip to the Studios and had its picture taken all around the park.

"Here I am in the Animation Courtyard. It was kind of crowded in there... Oh, here I am next to the Tower of Terror. They said it was tall, but I didn't really think so."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom