DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

devoy1701

It seems like they put these things up to purposed put us all in a tizzy so we can rejoice and praise them when they decide to finally take them down. I think they're toying with us...

cowanfamily

Okay, think about it epcot has the huge ball thing magic kingdom has the castle and animal kingdom has the tree of life. Now without the hat its gonna be as boring as universal studios. i didnt care about the chinese theater when i was a kid and i still dont. the hat is an icon which every park has. dont say the hat doesnt fit the park cause the park is about movies and was the sorcerers hat in a movie ? yea i think so and i would rather them take away the chinese theater and i dont remember that being in a movie.

ohhh and this isnt that importANT but just to say , yesterday i bought i keychain with the castle, the hat, the tree, and the epcot ball on it now wats it gonna look like without the hat. dont make the chinese theater an icon. Hello!! we live in america make the chinese theater an icon in china!

nicely put! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm willing to bet the hat stays! I like the Chinese Theatre, but people are not drawn to it. It looks pretty, but it doesn't suck people in. At least the HAT gives the park a central location, a recognizable icon. Before the HAT how many people did you hear talk about the "park with chinese theatre in it"? Probably never. That Hat wasn't the greatest choice but it works.
You may want to waive that bet ;)

Before the hat people said `lets go to the studios` - the one with the studio water tower as a logo. The park will probably still have the hat. Just not blocking one of the most detailed facades ever to come from Glendale.

Sounds better than `lets go to the park with the pin store in the shape of a hat`...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Okay, think about it epcot has the huge ball thing magic kingdom has the castle and animal kingdom has the tree of life. Now without the hat its gonna be as boring as universal studios. i didnt care about the chinese theater when i was a kid and i still dont. the hat is an icon which every park has. dont say the hat doesnt fit the park cause the park is about movies and was the sorcerers hat in a movie ? yea i think so and i would rather them take away the chinese theater and i dont remember that being in a movie.

ohhh and this isnt that importANT but just to say , yesterday i bought i keychain with the castle, the hat, the tree, and the epcot ball on it now wats it gonna look like without the hat. dont make the chinese theater an icon. Hello!! we live in america make the chinese theater an icon in china!
Oy vey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauman's_Chinese_Theatre

ScorpionX

dont say the hat doesnt fit the park cause the park is about movies and was the sorcerers hat in a movie ? yea i think so
So you're pretty much saying that if a spoon is in a movie, it's automatically an icon for Hollywood? That's not true, hasn't been true, and never will be true.

cowanfamily

You may want to waive that bet ;)

Before the hat people said `lets go to the studios` - the one with the studio water tower as a logo. The park will probably still have the hat. Just not blocking one of the most detailed facades ever to come from Glendale.

Sounds better than `lets go to the park with the pin store in the shape of a hat`...

Do you seriously think they will move that hat! Put your personal feelings aside and reason it out! Use logic! Take into account the millions of dollars in merchandise based around that hat. The research done in putting that hat there. The Cubs have a better chance of winning the World Series than that hat getting moved. I will take that bet all day long!

Do I like the hat, not really! But it's not going anywhere so why complain about it. The people on these boards make up a very small minority. The reality is most visitors to the park have no idea what it looked like in 2000 and recognize that hat as the symbol for it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Do you seriously think they will move that hat! Put your personal feelings aside and reason it out! Use logic! Take into account the millions of dollars in merchandise based around that hat. The research done in putting that hat there. The Cubs have a better chance of winning the World Series than that hat getting moved. I will take that bet all day long!

Do I like the hat, not really! But it's not going anywhere so why complain about it. The people on these boards make up a very small minority. The reality is most visitors to the park have no idea what it looked like in 2000 and recognize that hat as the symbol for it.

Merchandising won't take a hit if the hat is simply moved to a new location, particularly if it is at the front of the park, or somewhere as visible. And on the flip side, the merchandising potential is just as great should the hat be dismantled entirely; a whole new line could be created with the Chinese Theatre (or some other landmark) being at the forefront.

And as for the appearance of the park, removing the hat would simply provide a new visual experience, with many then soon forgetting where the hat was before....

DocMcHulk

Which is the better view: a or b?

A)
mgm3a.jpg

B)
removehat_blvd.jpg

Eric.Marcotte

I hate the hat where it is, but it isn't awful in and of itself. Here's a plan. Move it to the Animation Courtyard where it belongs. Perhaps even place it on the roof of the animation building as a nod to the Walt Disney Feature Animation Building in California that has the iconic Mickey hat on top. Seems like a great solution to me. You could even place it in the center of the animation courtyard with some landscaping / meet and greets around it if you really wanted. Would be a cool view through that random green / tan archway thing.

DocMcHulk

I hate the hat where it is, but it isn't awful in and of itself. Here's a plan. Move it to the Animation Courtyard where it belongs. Perhaps even place it on the roof of the animation building as a nod to the Walt Disney Feature Animation Building in California that has the iconic Mickey hat on top. Seems like a great solution to me. You could even place it in the center of the animation courtyard with some landscaping / meet and greets around it if you really wanted. Would be a cool view through that random green / tan archway thing.

The Animation Courtyard is an interesting idea. However, I think it's too heavy for just putting it on a roof without additional structural support.

Captain Hank

For those wondering about the merchandising standpoint, they did just fine at Epcot when the wand went away.

I personally don't mind the BAH, I just HATE HATE HATE :fork: :fork: its placement. The Hollywood Blvd. area was intricately designed and worked just fine until 2001. I wouldn't mind if the thing were moved to the front entrance, roughly where the Christmas tree is placed. I'd be equally happy if it went away altogether.

trr1

ohhh and this isnt that important but just to say , yesterday i bought a keychain with the castle, the hat, the tree, and the epcot ball on it now wats it gonna look like without the hat. dont make the chinese theater an icon. Hello!! we live in america make the chinese theater an icon in china!

First if it hasnt been said welcome to the forum :wave:
second the huge ball thing as you call it is named spaceship earth or SSE

disneyeater

My sources tell me the hat is being replaced. They are currently deciding whether to replace it with a giant Woody hat from Toy Story, a giant Indy hat, or a giant Darth Vadar helmet.

menamechris

Yes!! More insightfulness like THIS... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom