DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

mickey2008.1

The BAH is the park icon. Just like the BACastle, BATree, BASSE. With out it, what"s the BA icon, a small water tower in the back of the park? As for the 25th anniversary, it would be nice to see a new show some where, and a new attraction, and an updated version of Fantasmic.

MarkTwain

The BAH is the park icon. Just like the BACastle, BATree, BASSE. With out it, what"s the BA icon, a small water tower in the back of the park? As for the 25th anniversary, it would be nice to see a new show some where, and a new attraction, and an updated version of Fantasmic.

Except that trees, castles, and abstract engineering marvels are things that can be huge in real life, and are therefore effective at being icons for the real-life environments that all Disney parks imitate.

Animal Kingdom/the Oasis is a portrayal of a natural paradise - a giant tree would fit realistically in that place

Magic Kingdom is a kingdom of storybook fantasy - a castle fits in as a realistic part of that theme

Epcot's Future World is a modern showcase of human progress and the marvels of the modern age - Spaceship Earth, as an engineering marvel and abstraction of the earth, fits in perfectly with that

DHS and Hollywood Boulevard - a recreation of the glamor of Hollywood in its heyday, the 1930s and 1940s. The Chinese Theater fits in with that... a massive blue sparkling hat sitting in the middle of the street does not.

The Sorcerer's hat may be an image from a Disney film from 70 years ago, but Disney's greater accomplishment is its perfection of the art of the theme park, and their ability to create depictions of environments from history, from fiction, or from our imagination. In DHS's case, that environment is classic Hollywood, and IMO the Chinese theater is far more successful at creating that environment than any BA hat.

My solution: move the Earful tower out to the front entrance, in front of the turnstiles. There it will be an effective icon for those driving up to the park or arriving by boat. The Earful tower would be the icon for approaching the park and for merchandising, and the Chinese theater would be the "weenie" that would draw you down Hollywood Blvd. and establish the theme of the street. So they would be co-icons. :) The BAH would be moved to be the icon of Art of Animation, where it would fit in with the other giant icons from animated movies.

cheezbat

Always hated the hat, and thought the water tower(a water tower as the icon, seriously?) was too silly and unnoticable in the park to be the icon. As a kid, the Chinese theater has always been the icon in my mind...and i don't see why it can't be the parks 'castle' or 'icon' or 'weenie' or whatever you want to call it.

HMF

I love the hat!! It's Disney World, whose biggest star is Mickey Mouse!!
I would be heartbroken if they took the hat away!!
I also think that the purest joy when visiting Disney is in children's faces, and the gigantic sorcerer's hat really relates to them-none of them would even know what the Chinese Theatre was!!
So I hope the hat stays!!

You obviously had never been to WDW pre-2001

Bravo 229

I'm surprised the Hat has defender now! Granted, it could work if it was placed somewhere other then right in front of the Chinese Theater and destroying the feel of 30s Hollywood the boulevard has.

They should put it on the side of the road in the Backlot Tour...that would give them something else to talk about on the tour and it would be out of the way! lol

Biff215

*sigh* ... if only it were true.

The hat itself is not the problem. It's the placement that's all wrong. It doesn't fit in that location. It destroys the 30's Hollywood, art deco theme.

Keeping it is fine. They just need to move it to another location.

I understand what you're saying, but couldn't the same be said for the castle at MK? We don't question it, as it is a staple of MK parks around the world. But Main Street USA and a European castle from centuries before don't exactly mesh perfectly either.

While I completely understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion either way, I don't understand why some of the hat-haters always have to defend their position as fact with digs like "you clearly didn't see the park before the hat". It's the wand all over again. I wonder what will replace this if the hat should come down?

I don't really care too much either way, but I do understand why they would want something uniquely Disney to identify with the park. As others have said, the Earful Tower has never really cut it and the Theater will never be associated with Disney first.

Trying to get back on topic, however, I really don't see the anniversary bringing much in additions unless they are approved soon and they break ground. And I'm not sure that ripping the hat down really screams "25th anniversary". Just my opinion.

yeti

I understand what you're saying, but couldn't the same be said for the castle at MK? We don't question it, as it is a staple of MK parks around the world. But Main Street USA and a European castle from centuries before don't exactly mesh perfectly either.

It's a relic of a bygone marketing campaign. It's not a staple, or an icon, or anything. It's not traditional or beloved. It's just BAH.

It's a relic of a bygone marketing campaign. It's not a staple, or an icon, or anything. It's not traditional or beloved. It's just BAH.

I have about 50 WDW souvenirs that say otherwise, the hat is still very much a marketing icon. Your opinion of it is just that, an opinion and should probably be presented as such. I really haven't seen anyone outside of a fansite complain about the hat, and on the contrary, know many who love it. Arguing about it is pointless however, as people already have their minds made. In my OPINION, the hat is looking better than ever, and is an icon worthy of association with the other 3.

mickey2008.1

Except that trees, castles, and abstract engineering marvels are things that can be huge in real life, and are therefore effective at being icons for the real-life environments that all Disney parks imitate.

Animal Kingdom/the Oasis is a portrayal of a natural paradise - a giant tree would fit realistically in that place

Magic Kingdom is a kingdom of storybook fantasy - a castle fits in as a realistic part of that theme

Epcot's Future World is a modern showcase of human progress and the marvels of the modern age - Spaceship Earth, as an engineering marvel and abstraction of the earth, fits in perfectly with that

DHS and Hollywood Boulevard - a recreation of the glamor of Hollywood in its heyday, the 1930s and 1940s. The Chinese Theater fits in with that... a massive blue sparkling hat sitting in the middle of the street does not.

The Sorcerer's hat may be an image from a Disney film from 70 years ago, but Disney's greater accomplishment is its perfection of the art of the theme park, and their ability to create depictions of environments from history, from fiction, or from our imagination. In DHS's case, that environment is classic Hollywood, and IMO the Chinese theater is far more successful at creating that environment than any BA hat.

My solution: move the Earful tower out to the front entrance, in front of the turnstiles. There it will be an effective icon for those driving up to the park or arriving by boat. The Earful tower would be the icon for approaching the park and for merchandising, and the Chinese theater would be the "weenie" that would draw you down Hollywood Blvd. and establish the theme of the street. So they would be co-icons. :) The BAH would be moved to be the icon of Art of Animation, where it would fit in with the other giant icons from animated movies.

I agree with your point, but Chinese theater is not big and grand as at the other parks, Make it bigger in size, or even better, a huge water tower that stands out. Thats what DHS is missing, that big icon, besides the hat. All other parks have that big thing, and thats why the hat is there. DHS needs something to be seen as an icon.

ABigBrassBand

Move the hat to the entrance plaza, sell some pins under it like they already do, and you have your solution. It's been said already, but they really need to move it; it really kills the park and only amplifies the park's struggle to find it's own identity.

AEfx

I agree with your point, but Chinese theater is not big and grand as at the other parks, Make it bigger in size, or even better, a huge water tower that stands out. Thats what DHS is missing, that big icon, besides the hat. All other parks have that big thing, and thats why the hat is there. DHS needs something to be seen as an icon.

You'd be amazed at how nice and big the Chinese Theater (which still is known throughout the world as a symbol of Hollywood) looks without that big ugly hat in front of it.

It was the perfect view up Hollywood Blvds - an icon doesn't need to be obnoxiously sized and garish.

As others who have said kids who may not know what it is, well that's why they invented Wikipedia - maybe they might...just learn something. About old Hollywood - which is the theme of that area of the park.

They can move it wherever they wish, but the eyesore ruined one of the nicest vistas in WDW, and doesn't have a lick to do with "Hollywood".

Reading some of these posts reminds me of people talking about the Big Stupid Wand. People said it would never leave, and it did. So will the Big Ugly Hat. It will just take someone who thinks about true theming, and not just seeing it as merchandising, to be in charge of making that decision.

DonaldDoleWhip

The Chinese Theater was the perfect size - it's an exact replica of the real thing. I was so amazed when I saw the real thing in Hollywood for the first time. Disney really did the job well.

I think the problem with the Chinese Theater being an icon is that it's not Disney-created. As such, the Earful Tower could easily be the icon again in terms of marketing and merchandise (it looks very Disney while still encapsulating the studio idea), and as proposed earlier in the thread, it would be a lot more prominent if moved to the front of the park entrance.

Scooter

I've been to WDW pre-hat and after-hat and am not bothered by it at all. Actually it's kind of growing on me.

Perhaps Disney wanted to get away from the "MGM" theming when they changed the name of the park to Disney's Hollywoood Studio's which is why they built the Hat in the first place. I'm just as happy walking into DHS and viewing the hat as I was viewing the Chinese Theater when it was MGM. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. To me, it never really felt like I was in the glitter and glamour of a MGM movie Studio when I was there. That great big water tower with ears kind of gave it away that I was in a Disney Park. Besides, the fact that it was called "DISNEY' MGM Studio and then "DISNEYS" Hollywood Studios always made me feel pretty clear where I was at even before the hat was installed. As far as the view down the street, well I have been to DHS quite a few times and stood in front of the hat for long periods of time just to hear peoples reactions to the hat and have never even once heard anyone say...."Disney should move that hat, it's ruining my Disney experiance."

Longhairbear

I never liked the hat, what was there before was much better. Every year on our annual trips to WDW we looked forward to seeing what new Disney movie prop was there. I think the last thing we saw before the hat was the crawler vehicle from "Armaggedon".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not quite...
mostly dreamed up and contemplated by fans on message boards
  1. Monsters Inc. Coaster added Came so close. Still a possibility
  2. Tram Tour Major Rehab/Rethink/Retheme See RSR below
  3. World of Color clone replacing Fantasmic!
  4. The two spinner rides from Cars Land added
  5. Radiator Springs Racers from Cars Land addedSeriously considered
  6. A clone of Cars Land in it entirety added
  7. Indiana Jones Adventure replacing Indy Stunt ShowWas considered
Oh, and The Hat? A bit surprised (and sad) it hasn`t moved yet.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ve not heard anything for a while. I do know the tram tours days are still numbered but the use of the area seems up in the air. An educated guess would still point to a Pixar Place expansion.

Perhaps now things are open on the other side of the park this side will now get the push out it needs...

cowanfamily

I'm willing to bet the hat stays! I like the Chinese Theatre, but people are not drawn to it. It looks pretty, but it doesn't suck people in. At least the HAT gives the park a central location, a recognizable icon. Before the HAT how many people did you hear talk about the "park with chinese theatre in it"? Probably never. That Hat wasn't the greatest choice but it works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom