DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

ChristianG

Regarding moving the hat to the Entrance Plaza:

dhs.png

I say it fits nice.

tirian

I'm willing to bet the hat stays! I like the Chinese Theatre, but people are not drawn to it. It looks pretty, but it doesn't suck people in. At least the HAT gives the park a central location, a recognizable icon. Before the HAT how many people did you hear talk about the "park with chinese theatre in it"? Probably never. That Hat wasn't the greatest choice but it works.

Okay, think about it epcot has the huge ball thing magic kingdom has the castle and animal kingdom has the tree of life. Now without the hat its gonna be as boring as universal studios. i didnt care about the chinese theater when i was a kid and i still dont. the hat is an icon which every park has. dont say the hat doesnt fit the park cause the park is about movies and was the sorcerers hat in a movie ? yea i think so and i would rather them take away the chinese theater and i dont remember that being in a movie.

ohhh and this isnt that importANT but just to say , yesterday i bought i keychain with the castle, the hat, the tree, and the epcot ball on it now wats it gonna look like without the hat. dont make the chinese theater an icon. Hello!! we live in america make the chinese theater an icon in china!

nicely put! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

The castle is practically a sculpted piece of art; SSE is a megalith of modern art; the tree fits its theming perfectly. The hat is a giant plastic pin store. Someone needs to calm off the PCP (pixie crap pills). ;)

The hat was built to temporarily house a pin store for Walt's 100th birthday. It wasn't built to be a permanent icon (marketing did that). It wasn't built to block the view of the theater (Internet myth). It wasn't built to last (neither was the wand). It was always a merch stand and nothing more.

The water tower—yes, the one you can't actually see in the park—was the icon, not the 100% American theater that symbolizes classic Hollywood. The hat is in plenty of movies, but probably not in toddler-friendly fare or the latest "Transformers" atrocity. A park's icon doesn't need to be in its center—Grizzly River Run in DCA and SSE prove that. From what I've heard, the hat will still be there; just not in the dead center, blocking a perfect Hollywood theme and towering over the forced perspective.

ChristianG

Okay, think about it epcot has the huge ball thing magic kingdom has the castle and animal kingdom has the tree of life. Now without the hat its gonna be as boring as universal studios. i didnt care about the chinese theater when i was a kid and i still dont. the hat is an icon which every park has. dont say the hat doesnt fit the park cause the park is about movies and was the sorcerers hat in a movie ? yea i think so and i would rather them take away the chinese theater and i dont remember that being in a movie.

ohhh and this isnt that importANT but just to say , yesterday i bought i keychain with the castle, the hat, the tree, and the epcot ball on it now wats it gonna look like without the hat. dont make the chinese theater an icon. Hello!! we live in america make the chinese theater an icon in china!

And to be honest here... you're not making much sense. First of all... what is a huge ball thing? I only know SSE. Second of all, even though the Chinese Theater isn't in a movie.. it's like the grandfather to all theaters around the globe. It deserves some recognition at this park. And last but not least, the actual Chinese Theater is located in California. Not China.

tirian

And to be honest here... you're not making much sense. First of all... what is a huge ball thing? I only know SSE. Second of all, even though the Chinese Theater isn't in a movie.. it's like the grandfather to all theaters around the globe. It deserves some recognition at this park. And last but not least, the actual Chinese Theater is located in California. Not China.

It's in several movies, "Singin' in the Rain" being the most important. It's where the "Wizard of Oz" premiered. An entire episode of "I Love Lucy" was devoted to her antics with John Wayne's cement block; in fact, it's the only Hollywood location with handprints and footprints. It's next door to the Kodak Theater and across the street from the El Capitan.

The Chinese Theatre is quintessential Hollywood.

DisneyCraze said:
Hello!! we live in america make the chinese theater an icon in china!
Perhaps a giant McDonald's would be appropriate?

ChristianG

It's in several movies, "Singin' in the Rain" being the most important. It's where the "Wizard of Oz" premiered. An entire episode of "I Love Lucy" was devoted to her antics with John Wayne's cement block; in fact, it's the only Hollywood location with handprints and footprints. It's next door to the Kodak Theater and across the street from the El Capitan.

The Chinese Theatre is quintessential Hollywood.

Oh yes. I forgot about some of those movies!

Monorail_Orange

^ ROFLMAO, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

IMHO, The hat needs to go. Desperately. I have no problem with it being relocated to any of the locations mentioned (minus on top of SSE, still :ROFLOL: on that one) but it ruins the feel of Hollywood Blvd. Also, much of the new marketing has replace the hat with the water tower as the park's icon again. More evidence that Martin is once again spot on with his info. Not a question of if, but when

ariel90

Really the hat is being taken down?!:eek:I have mixed feelings on the hat, while it does not belong in DHS it's still quite pretty and maybe could go somewhere on property like Downtown Disney.But dear God please not on the Epcot ball, and not a darth vader hat and as much as I love Woody I don't really like that idea. I'm sort of mad Disney spent so much time(it may have not been a long time but I was pretty young when it was going up and everything seems like a long time) on it just to take it down.

As for the 25th anniversary if some major changes do not happen I can see it being a bit of a fail. DHS needs something new and exciting not just the same thing redone. I've always seen this park as a bit exciting and full of thrills a new thrill ride would be nice but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the FLE.

cowanfamily

The castle is practically a sculpted piece of art; SSE is a megalith of modern art; the tree fits its theming perfectly. The hat is a giant plastic pin store. Someone needs to calm off the PCP (pixie crap pills). ;)

The hat was built to temporarily house a pin store for Walt's 100th birthday. It wasn't built to be a permanent icon (marketing did that). It wasn't built to block the view of the theater (Internet myth). It wasn't built to last (neither was the wand). It was always a merch stand and nothing more.

The water tower—yes, the one you can't actually see in the park—was the icon, not the 100% American theater that symbolizes classic Hollywood. The hat is in plenty of movies, but probably not in toddler-friendly fare or the latest "Transformers" atrocity. A park's icon doesn't need to be in its center—Grizzly River Run in DCA and SSE prove that. From what I've heard, the hat will still be there; just not in the dead center, blocking a perfect Hollywood theme and towering over the forced perspective.

PCP! Really. I'm glad we have you on the inside to inform us of all things Disney. Hope you enjoy your pic at HS 10 years from now when that HAT is still in the same place.

aladdin2007

I do hope thats true, but havent they said this will happen for several years now and nothing has come of it? Im guessing mainly becuase TDO sees it as unneeded spending, like always. :brick:

RSoxNo1

Move the hat to the entrance plaza, sell some pins under it like they already do, and you have your solution. It's been said already, but they really need to move it; it really kills the park and only amplifies the park's struggle to find it's own identity.

The Animation Courtyard is an interesting idea. However, I think it's too heavy for just putting it on a roof without additional structural support.

Originally, the hat was designed as the entrance area and it was upright, not tilted. The ears were ferris wheels that were made to look like movie reels. I wouldn't oppose to this being added to the park, but if they want to keep this as the park icon, it doesn't make too much sense to put this in The Animation Courtyard.

To confuse people even more, if you put the Hat/Ferris Wheel combo at the front of the park where they normally put the Christmas tree, they can have the queue for the Ferris Wheel start on Sunset Boulevard and actually feed outside of the park.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Do you seriously think they will move that hat! Put your personal feelings aside and reason it out! Use logic! Take into account the millions of dollars in merchandise based around that hat. The research done in putting that hat there. The Cubs have a better chance of winning the World Series than that hat getting moved. I will take that bet all day long!

Do I like the hat, not really! But it's not going anywhere so why complain about it. The people on these boards make up a very small minority. The reality is most visitors to the park have no idea what it looked like in 2000 and recognize that hat as the symbol for it.

I'll bet on Martin's sources over your logic any day. :hammer:

devoy1701

The hat is staying, its to Hollywood Studios like Spaceship Earth is to Epcot.

no it's not. Spaceship Earth is a major attraction not to mention a symbol of the future and an architectual feat.

The Hat is....uh...blue...with gold stars, which aren't even the right color for the whole "it was in a movie argument." Nothing more than a pin store...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom